Chapala.com Webboard

Time for the annual guess the start of the rainy season

Since there were at least a couple of massive storms in Jocotepec before we got ours in Riberas, and since lower Chula Vista didn't get the same three nights ago as I did, then the "contest" would have to be compartmentalized to different areas.

What did I win ?  Not a box of chocolates, I may hope ?

Rony

10 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Well, it looks like June 7 should be declared the official winner as it was the first of three obviously monsoonal storms that added up to an inch and a half.  Since no one picked that actual date, the two closest, Rony and Bisbee, will share the spotlight.  I totally bombed on my prediction of a late start.  Glad I was wrong.

Congratulations to our two near perfect weather prognosticators!

Is this the earliest start of the rainy season, at least within records?

There is no actual "official" date. If you look at the bottom of chapalaweather.net you'll see the last 10 years, but that's just in Riberas and it varies widely across the lake shore. As you'll see, we can get significant rains early in the year and often from passing pacific tropical storms off shore in Oct etc. But, it's generally assumed the season is June through Sept and often it does start just about now. There was a Gov weather station here in the early 90's, but long gone, so we take our information from local personal stations. The station at the Guadalajara airport is the nearest official station, but it varies significantly from our conditions as the Lake and mountains moderate and channel the weather. Weather is the most widely discussed subject worldwide, unlike politics and religion, it's pretty much a mundane subject.

Archived