Chapala.com Webboard

Well, I've read through a couple more topics and both were closed due to the sniping of bitter members.

Have we any people here lakeside who are into seeing the GOOD things in a situation, who ENJOY choosing to be happy & create their own reality?  I'm talking plain old good-naturedness, good sense of humor (not at the expense of others).

If so, let's get together!  Negativity never did get nothing done, right?

For starters, I'd like to invite @Justathought, @thegogulskis, @Upfront, & @El Menudo.  You folks are welcome to my campfire anytime!  :D 

I have enjoyed reading your posts & would have participated in the discussion, but it wound up being closed due to the curmudgeons/snipes.

Anybody in for a good dose of simple appreciation, love, good vibes & UPLIFTING sharing of ideas and/or banter?

Dress:  casual - YOUR definition of that word

Attitude:   positive

Bring:   the wealth that is inside yer heads

Date/Time:   as you like it

(Kinda Shakespearean, that last, eh?  Or, Baconian, depending on your view.)  :P

To start off...

I have been wanting natural milk straight from the cow, not pasteurized, no hormones, nada - just al natural...  I don't have a car & just moved to a new neighborhood.

I am so HAPPY to find out I can bring my glass jar to the corner restaurant & she'll have them come by & fill me up.  When I'm getting low, I just bring her another jar.  AweSOME!  I will have healthy yogurt & cheeses now!  And better kefir.

I'm doing my little arthritic happy dance around my upstairs living room.  It is so NICE to have real milk in my coffee and to find it so convenient to me!  Woo-hoo!

Stupid, ya say?  Maybe.  To you, negative person peeking in here...  :o  Oh, yeah.  Caught you!  Busted!  (You knew you'd hate this thread, why did you click?  Just can't resist a chance to throw &*#@ on one more person before you log off?)  :lol:  Whatever...  Won't affect my good mood. 

But I cannot digest UHT-pasteurized milk and it seems stupid to me to drink such a loathsome, dead stuff with its proteins cooked to bits.

So I very much APPRECIATE & am GRATEFUL to the Universe for providing this serendipitous little gift for me to find in my new neighborhood.  :wub:

Just another little victory to celebrate.  :lol:

Does anyone else have a pleasantly UPLIFTING story, hint, helpful factoid, funny joke, or whatever to add? 

Go for it!  :D

Dear Karma.JPG

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love this idea!

I was sitting in the Ajijic plaza several years ago when two young ladies approached me and asked me( in very good English) if I would be willing to answer a few questions, They explained that they were studying English and their assignment was to talk with native English speakers. And of course I agreed.

They asked the usual questions like where I was from, how long I had been in Mexico, did I plan to stay, how did I like Mexico, etc.

Next they asked me what I liked best about Mexico and Ajijic. My answer was the climate, the view, the food, the music - and most importantly the people.

Then they asked me what I would like to change about Mexico. My answer was nothing! The were very surprised and asked me some additional questions to make sure they understood me correctly. I started to answer them in Spanish (far from perfect but they could understand me) but they told me they were only allowed to speak English for their assignment. We talked a bit more and they said that no one else they had talked to had given them that answer.

I told them it was an honor to live in their country and it was my responsibility to adapt and not Mexico's responsibility to make changes to suit me.

A little while later I was walking home and a car pulled along side of me. It was the two delightful young ladies I had spoken to earlier. They very excitedly asked me (in Spanish) to tell their friends what I like about Mexico. Same answer - the climate, view, food, etc. but mostly the people. Lots of laughter and smiles all around. 

It ain't perfect here but it ain't perfect anywhere. And after 12 years I honestly wouldn't have the audacity to try to change a thing - well at least nothing about Mexico or the Mexican people. With some gringos - well that's another story.

I'm on a roll so here is another story.

For the first couple of years after we bought our house I was still working and traveling every week in the U.S. I was here in town one day (a Friday afternoon) and we had been invited to an end of school party at at eventos in west Ajijic. They food was cooking, the beer was cold, the music was loud and some kids were kicking a soccer ball against a wall. Lots of laughter and excitement from parents and kids. We were the only gringos at the party. Actually we were the only gringos in the neighborhood.

My U.S. cell phone rang and it was a client needing some urgent help from me. I walked outside on the street so I could hear a little better but could still hear, the music, people laughing and the soccer ball banging against the wall. As I was talking to my client a guy rode by on a horse, a couple of dogs passed by that seemed to be with the guy on the horse, and a goat ran across the street. A perfect day in Mexico. I quit working and moved to Ajijic full time not long after that!

I think you may need some outside help and can sing Kum ba yah.......

(Kum ba yah ("Come by Here") is a spiritual song first recorded in the 1920s. It became a standard campfire song in Scouting and summer camps and enjoyedbroader popularity during the folk revival of the 1950s and 1960s.

The song was originally a simple appeal to God to come and help those in need.)

It sure would be nice if we could all, myself included, try a little harder to think positively act positively and even if we feel maybe a little offended by someone else's post we could post positively.

The one reason I use my real name when I post is that when I might feel like making a snide remark, I don't dare. When I used to post using a name other than mine, too often when I felt like it, I would make that snide remark. Now I don't dare, even if I feel like it, because I might see you the next day at a local restaurant or walking down the street. 

this forum is for serious discussion as well as happy kumbaya. it has something for everyone. we couldnt help people if it was all good ship lolly pop. then it would be a useless sales pitch, like the bs junk you read on travel sites. there is an ignore feature here, use it if the topic is not to your liking. i skip many topics. some folks here care about the community & are active w/ local mexicans to bust corruption & bring back quality of life. no one is forcing you to be involved. thats fine w/me, i stopped drinking milk a long time ago. (way before summer camp & camp fires). people who insult are given warnings, can be short term suspended or banned. thankyou for your imput.

okay.  So I have one just one question.  Seriously . What are some Of the reasons why  people who have relocated here feel the need to change things about this culture?  Innocent question.

while i may not like what is happening In some situations., I love the people here, including The Whole culture ..  the good and the not so good. 

sorry that this may disturb some expats..but I support my new country.  I am not here to be a game changer.  I knew what it would be like.  However I am not one to just stand by if there is an issue of true emergency , such as the poor treatment of the naturalized citizens of this country.. 

i love this country and it is too bad that there are NOB expats that feel they need to change things, to conform to their standards. 

I think you all know who you are . The ones that feel the need to berate people who truly loves this country. 

i have never in my life read so may discouraging remarks about the country we relocated to. 

naturally there are positive posts and threads that people can refer to for  advice , etc...

But .. enjoy your life here.    You did move here for a reason.  I hope it just wasn't for the financial issue. ..

i hope you enjoy the neighborhood you are in.   

Perhaps the question is, what is the culture?

I think there is a tendency among some in the expat community to attribute things to the culture that are not only fairly recent in origin but are mainly the purview of a minority of people who are viewed as inconsiderate and badly behaved by the majority of Mexicans.  That they may not speak out about this on message boards doesn't mean they like the behavior.

I think Mexicans are less accustomed to the NOB idea that abuses do not have to be tolerated and tend to accept them more rather than fight back.  That doesn't mean they endorse the abuses, it just means they don't think they can change things.  We come from a culture that believes that we can change social, governmental and environmental ills.

I've yet to meet a Mexican who likes dirty streets, graffiti covered walls, not being able to sleep at night because of some bar, crime or corrupt government.  It seems to me that this is a shared idea of culture.  

Or maybe I'm just not coming in contact with the people who do prefer those things. 

I'm always curious as to what are viewed as Mexican "standards."  For example, if damaging noise for commercial gain at all hours of the night is a Mexican standard, why are Mexicans passing and enforcing laws against it?

If governmental corruption and impunity are Mexican standards why are so many Mexicans fighting it?

I travel a lot in this country by moto.  Regularly I visit communities that have no expats but that are much cleaner and quieter than this one has become.  I see local government workers out cleaning the streets, maintaining the plazas, picking up the trash using modern packer trucks.  The only expats in sight are the guys I'm riding with and me.  When I stay in local hotels overnight the towns are peaceful.

My own personal example is the successful graffiti eradication effort here led by a small group of expats including me.  I find it very telling that whenever I'm out getting rid of graffiti it is only the Mexicans coming up and thanking me.  I've actually had some expats claim that these gangster scrawlies are some kind of art and the nerve of us painting it out.  I'm not talking about the murals here, don't confuse the two.

When I consider the possibility that some expats have a warped and negative view of what constitutes Mexican culture, that experience comes to mind.  I don't view those attitudes as supporting our new country.

Justathought, I think you've raised some interesting points and you did so in a most civil manner.  Thanks very much for your post.

Riding through a town on  a moto or staying a few days in a town does not give you much of an idea of what the town is like. 

A month before the students were killed in Iguala  y husband and I were in Iguala  commenting what a nice town it was...

11 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I think you may need some outside help and can sing Kum ba yah.......

(Kum ba yah ("Come by Here") is a spiritual song first recorded in the 1920s. It became a standard campfire song in Scouting and summer camps and enjoyedbroader popularity during the folk revival of the 1950s and 1960s.

The song was originally a simple appeal to God to come and help those in need.)

Now, WHY would you think that?  Why should you be concerned about me needing help?  :lol:

And I'm not so stupid I don't know the silly song... having been made to sing it at camp when I was a kid...  Pffft!  Sitting around singing that waiting on the OUTSIDE FORCE to come visit you...  PAH!

I'm into MANIFESTING what I need to live, not waiting for manna from some other "heaven." 

Really?  You come in here to shut down a happy person or at least throw a wet blanket on them???

Reminds me of a frienemy...  Had a great day going, just could FEEL it way my day!  Went to an art festival & bought only 1 raffle ticket (the girls with me bought more, but I said, "No, I only need this one!  It's a winner!").  They both smirked at me & exchanged a look...  So I went my own way & enjoyed the day, had some great tacos & a cold beer waiting on them.  What a relief to get home!

That evening, as I was getting outta the shower, phone rang.  I had won a prize!  Would I please come by tomorrow & claim it?  :lol:

Went the next day, even in the rain.  It was a beautiful silver cross donated by one of the artisans...  For a flash, I was disappointed.  I'm a card-carrying "Pagan," you see...  :o  But no!  It was something nice I could give for a birthday, so I did.

When I called the person to tell them I had won to show that a higher vibration really DOES work, they replied, "Well, we'll just see how long that lasts."  :huh:

I think of these folks as "rompe globos."  <_<

Why is it so fricking DIFFICULT for people to just decide to be happy?

cool-word-definition-happiness-awareness.jpg

12 hours ago, REC said:

Love this idea!

I was sitting in the Ajijic plaza several years ago when two young ladies approached me and asked me( in very good English) if I would be willing to answer a few questions, They explained that they were studying English and their assignment was to talk with native English speakers. And of course I agreed.

They asked the usual questions like where I was from, how long I had been in Mexico, did I plan to stay, how did I like Mexico, etc.

Next they asked me what I liked best about Mexico and Ajijic. My answer was the climate, the view, the food, the music - and most importantly the people.

Then they asked me what I would like to change about Mexico. My answer was nothing! The were very surprised and asked me some additional questions to make sure they understood me correctly. I started to answer them in Spanish (far from perfect but they could understand me) but they told me they were only allowed to speak English for their assignment. We talked a bit more and they said that no one else they had talked to had given them that answer.

I told them it was an honor to live in their country and it was my responsibility to adapt and not Mexico's responsibility to make changes to suit me.

A little while later I was walking home and a car pulled along side of me. It was the two delightful young ladies I had spoken to earlier. They very excitedly asked me (in Spanish) to tell their friends what I like about Mexico. Same answer - the climate, view, food, etc. but mostly the people. Lots of laughter and smiles all around. 

It ain't perfect here but it ain't perfect anywhere. And after 12 years I honestly wouldn't have the audacity to try to change a thing - well at least nothing about Mexico or the Mexican people. With some gringos - well that's another story.

Awesome, REC! 

I love these little "happenings!"  :wub:

Attitude of gratitude!  You rock! 

11 hours ago, johanson said:

It sure would be nice if we could all, myself included, try a little harder to think positively act positively and even if we feel maybe a little offended by someone else's post we could post positively.

The one reason I use my real name when I post is that when I might feel like making a snide remark, I don't dare. When I used to post using a name other than mine, too often when I felt like it, I would make that snide remark. Now I don't dare, even if I feel like it, because I might see you the next day at a local restaurant or walking down the street. 

Nice post, johanson!

Yes, too frequently people think they're anonymous & that sense of anonymity can lead them to reveal the darker, shadow side of themselves online. 

What a great opportunity for them to take time for introspection to figure out WHY the need for snide remarks.  But these types have no time for introspection, there are others out there to swat with their "wit," it seems. 

Awesome way of holding your own self to the higher standard, man!  B)

Wow,  just remembered...  Just 2 days after arriving, I was with a driver who did not know the streets well.  We were looking for a particular shop for some high-proof.  We found it & parked at the curb.  During the 5 minutes I was in the shop, someone else parked on the other side of the street, so we had to back & maneuver out carefully.

And I met the first person to be really RUDE & overbearing to me in public.  He nudged his big truck up just behind us & laid on the horn.  He was ENJOYING it.  The driver was doing her best to get out of the parking space, but it could not be done unless the jerk moved back a few feet.

Gesturing from the car was to no avail, so I got down & went back to ask if he could roll back about 4 feet so we could get out of that space.  Whereupon, he proceeded to scream & rail at me that we had already wasted 5 minutes of his precious time... I was quite stunned & the words disappeared in a fog as all I could focus on was his bloated, red face with veins popping out all over & the spittle in the corners of his mouth as he spewed angry noise at me.  :o

When the movie stopped, I just put up my hands & said, "Mister, I can see you're really upset.  You want to be on your way & so do we.  But that simply cannot be accomplished until you move your vehicle back about 4-5 feet.  Believe me, we would like nothing more than to be out of your way!"

He continued to hurl expletives.  I could not tell what country he was from, he was foaming up so badly.  I really thot, "Geez, hope he doesn't pop a vessel!" 

We sat there in the car while he continued his rant.  I just put my hands up in that "helpless" pose.  After about 5 more minutes, he finally jammed it into reverse & let us escape.

After we regathered our nerves, I told the driver, "Figures!  The first person to be obnoxious here would be an expat."  <_< 

Folks, we are all interconnected, like it or not. 

The good you do will be returned to you many times over; the bad you do will as well.

This experience was like meeting a raging two-year-old behind the wheel.  :unsure:

No doubt, when he got home at the end of the day, he was STILL unhappy & upset.  Reckon he probably woke up that way the next morning, too.  For some, it is a way of life - their CHOICE to continue to be miserable.

Misery don't make such a good pet, methinx.  I choose to be happy.  It can be a lot of work staying that way, but when the Wheel of Fortune keeps pumping out what I want, why would I change? 

What tickles me is when people notice the way my life flows & ask me what is my secret...  :D

What tickles me MORE is when they start practicing it & begin to manifest good things in their own lives.  :wub:

9 hours ago, betty7 said:

this forum is for serious discussion as well as happy kumbaya. it has something for everyone. we couldnt help people if it was all good ship lolly pop. then it would be a useless sales pitch, like the bs junk you read on travel sites. there is an ignore feature here, use it if the topic is not to your liking. i skip many topics. some folks here care about the community & are active w/ local mexicans to bust corruption & bring back quality of life. no one is forcing you to be involved. thats fine w/me, i stopped drinking milk a long time ago. (way before summer camp & camp fires). people who insult are given warnings, can be short term suspended or banned. thankyou for your imput.

Wow, Betty7...  I think this is the most positive post I've ever seen from you!  :o

Good on ya!  B)

Some punctuation would help those of us who are visually challenged to be able to read better.  Without capital letters, or separation of sentences paragraph style, it makes the sentences blur together.  Could be just my mileage, but just saying. 

Obviously, banning members is a "band-aid fix."  People just change devices or make up other silly monikers, eh?

:lol:

8 hours ago, Justathought said:

okay.  So I have one just one question.  Seriously . What are some Of the reasons why  people who have relocated here feel the need to change things about this culture?  Innocent question.

while i may not like what is happening In some situations., I love the people here, including The Whole culture ..  the good and the not so good. 

sorry that this may disturb some expats..but I support my new country.  I am not here to be a game changer.  I knew what it would be like.  However I am not one to just stand by if there is an issue of true emergency , such as the poor treatment of the naturalized citizens of this country.. 

i love this country and it is too bad that there are NOB expats that feel they need to change things, to conform to their standards. 

I think you all know who you are . The ones that feel the need to berate people who truly loves this country. 

i have never in my life read so may discouraging remarks about the country we relocated to. 

naturally there are positive posts and threads that people can refer to for  advice , etc...

But .. enjoy your life here.    You did move here for a reason.  I hope it just wasn't for the financial issue. ..

i hope you enjoy the neighborhood you are in.   

Great attitude, Justathought! 

I second every statement you made.  In fact, I'd say I love Mexico MORE than I ever did the US.

Just looking at what is allowed to happen there, genocide by design, etc...  I can visit friends, but I simply cannot live there anymore.  Not in a country that has lost its heart & "monetized" its soul.

I adore Mexico & the Mexican people.  I find beauty in what IS without making comparisons to "the way we used to do it" or "the way it SHOULD be done" or putting my own standards of what is good & just on anyone. 

For me, the things to appreciate simply outnumber the petty annoyances!  And it's WAY more convenient & comfy than Uruguay.

You could be right about the financial issue, exchange rate, whatever.  Most of those folks will never bother to learn Spanish anyway.  They'd be the "hip crowd" in Thailand, where it's the expat sport to sit in the shade, drink beer & pass judgment on everything & everyone passing by...  :rolleyes:

But hey - my own income is only $1,300-something US, yet I live much better & than most of the people I know with tons more money...  In the end, it's a spiritual thing, don't you think?

Casteneda quote.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

I think Mexicans are less accustomed to the NOB idea that abuses do not have to be tolerated and tend to accept them more rather than fight back.  That doesn't mean they endorse the abuses, it just means they don't think they can change things.  We come from a culture that believes that we can change social, governmental and environmental ills.

That is an amazing thought, considering how many revolutions have been fought in Mexico over the centuries... 

In my perspective, the American governmental system is hugely oppressive, the people mere slaves to the almighty dollar.  People I know in many other countries think the same.  The weekly grind, earning just enough to have a few basic comforts, before the twist the screws again.  Funny how the fat cats are never reminded how "we all need to tighten our belts a bit" when the people are raped with taxes. 

In many countries where I have lived, the people really feel sorry for Americans.  They live in poverty or what we would certainly call poverty, but feel sorry for most modern Europeans as well.  Why?  We are so disconnected from nature, from family ties...  Yeah, we keep up appearances at Xmas & whatall...  But we don't all live together anymore, 3 generations in the same neighborhood. 

For them, it's about having a comfy house, food on the table for friends & family, getting together to celebrate life.

US celebrates death.  Every year - memorials to the deliberate human sacrifices of the wars, 9/11, all that stuff.  I have been asked why Americans do that too many times.

By contrast, Mexicans focus on the positive.

If we could all learn to just get along (impossible in white man's world, yeah) we would not need governments.  Small communities would govern themselves...  It would NOT be all-out chaos... 

Check out the Ubuntu movement.

@Mainecoons - Kudos for your work erasing the "gang tags!"  Everybody not in a gang finds them offensive, I reckon.   A worthy endeavor, for sure, and one much appreciated, no doubt!

5 minutes ago, Jabonera said:

That is an amazing thought, considering how many revolutions have been fought in Mexico over the centuries..

Sometimes I wonder if what happens is that people just get pushed to the breaking point and then all hell breaks loose.  There doesn't seem to be a strong base for peaceful reform here.  Some of these revolutions were mainly about one group of bandits trying to take control from another.  

Although I freely admit to having a Mexican circle of friends who are older and middle class like ourselves and mostly educators or business people, I haven encountered anyone who has a positive view of the state of government in this country or municipality.  I don't claim this is a representative sample however.

I'll admit I find the numerous reports of wholesale theft and impunity of late a bit discouraging along with driving over that disintegrating wreck that used to be called Chapala highway.  I've been here going on 10 years nearly continuously and the physical manifestations of governmental decline just feel like they are multiplying these days.  Maybe the dark before the dawn?

I definitely have to agree with you about what has happened to the family in America.  

Thanks for your thoughts and civility.

1 hour ago, bmh said:

Riding through a town on  a moto or staying a few days in a town does not give you much of an idea of what the town is like. 

A month before the students were killed in Iguala  y husband and I were in Iguala  commenting what a nice town it was...

I wasn't referring to crime.  I was referring to the obvious pride the towns take in their physical appearance and the equally obvious signs of government out there doing the job it is paid to do.

A few days in a place gives ample opportunity to view the presence or absence of what I have observed.

Maincoons said:

"Sometimes I wonder if what happens is that people just get pushed to the breaking point and then all hell breaks loose.  There doesn't seem to be a strong base for peaceful reform here.  Some of these revolutions were mainly about one group of bandits trying to take control from another.  

Although I freely admit to having a Mexican circle of friends who are older and middle class like ourselves and mostly educators or business people, I haven encountered anyone who has a positive view of the state of government in this country or municipality.  I don't claim this is a representative sample however."

Yes, of course it's what happens when there seems no alternative.  Many of the revolutions were about agrarian reform & peoples' rights as well.  The idea that every man deserves his piece of land to raise a family, etc.  Mexican's really don't believe in governments much (at least the indigenous people).  They've watched governments come & go...

But most "white" people are really programmed to believe that their existence & comfort depends on having a "good government."  Personally, I "have issues with authority" at times.  Especially when laws are changed in 1 night with the stroke of 1 man's pen & the people have nothing to say about it.  Especially when huge corporations are paid off & huge bonuses given as a reward for their irresponsibility with other peoples' money.  Most especially when it comes from the pockets of hard-working Joe Lunchbucket, who doesn't have it to spare... and nobody ASKED him.  Especially when the whole house of cards is based on lies. 

I think that most people prefer to let the status quo ride until it hits the breaking point.  I'm beginning to wonder how much more the Americans will take...

Newbies tend to be so overjoyed about moving to Mexico that they embrace the warts along with the beauty spots.  They can't help it; comes with the territory. Then, after a few falls on the cobblestones and a few stonewallings by the various officials; maybe a few scams and such, they settle into the reality of enjoying the good stuff and doing a Mexican shrug about the rest.  They also get more realistic, which is always a good thing.  They see that the government here allows even more corruption and abuse of authority than in the place they came from.  The U.S. could certainly use some reform, but it's not all bad.  There are people enjoying values that go way past love of money, and that's important to happiness anywhere.

I also have a comment about the somewhat negative attitude about people who move to Mexico "for financial reasons".  Of course they do; far more than will admit it, and their numbers will increase as the cost of living in the U.S. reduces people to poverty in their old age.  Hopefully, they will be adaptable, accept the warts with humor and/or patience, "bloom where they are planted" and contribute something of value to their adopted country.

I also applaud the folks who turned Ajijic from a graffiti laden eyesore when I moved here to the much improved present state.  Thank you!:)

I also do not understand the need to put down the country of origin in order to make Mexico sound better. Mexico has some very ugly faces as well ..just different from the ones from the US .

Mexico has plenty of warts too just stick around and they will come out...

Just now, bmh said:

I also do not understand the need to put down the country of origin in order to make Mexico sound better. Mexico has some very ugly faces as well ..just different from the ones from the US .

Mexico has plenty of warts too just stick around and they will come out...

If you want to touch the warts, get in an auto accident and get hauled off to a Mexican jail....no matter who's at fault, Si?

many mexicans move to the US for financial reasons. they also want to change the culture. this is a fact, they are called migrants. be realistic, people are people & the same 'types" exist everywhere. btw, bands are 4 am do not happen in upper middle class mexican neighborhoods. its a worker thing. personally i dont see the big deal about mexico. you can move to any of the 100's of barrios in the US. you get the loud music @ 2am, the graffitti, the drug trade. same animal. guess what? you dont have to pay a lawyer for the visa. justsaying. there are many 3rd world communities in the US. south east asian, somolian, el salvadorian, the list is endless. its a global world. you dont have to go too far. think of the dining options! as the "weather issue"- the US has warmer climates. you can live w/mexicans and dress lightly. 

Archived