Chapala.com Webboard

More Shame for the EPN Government

Jim Bowie

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/mexicos-2016-murder-tally-exceeds-those-of-many-countries-at-war-study/ar-BBAWJSZ?li=AA4Zpp&oci

Only Syria ranks above Mexico in annual Murders in the World. Looks like 2017 will be the highest it has ever been in Mexico.

It seems to me this problem really started when Sr. Calderon decided to enlist in the U.S. "war" on drugs.  It also seems to me that the customers of these cartels, mainly Americans, Canadians and Europeans, have a great deal of responsibility for this situation.

Looking at the reality of security here and the pervasive corruption in the security forces I honestly do not see how this situation can be brought under control by this or any other Mexican administration.  Rooting this out would take a very broad super majority commitment from the population as a whole and I just don't see that here.  Too many people are profiting from this.  It is either the third or second largest component of the economy depending on whose figures you look at.

Something like half the U.S. population are at least casual drug users.  Coming from an environment in my youth where druggies were ostracized I just can't get my head around how we got to this place in my lifetime.  

The war on drugs has been a dismal failure on both sides of the border.   It has cost countess lives and trillions of dollars.  There are more people using drugs than ever before. A complete and total failure unless you consider the financial gains for those involved.  Those using lax gun laws in the US to ship weapons south, the soon to be expanding private prison system, the now para-military police forces getting more funding every year, the money launderers, the lawyers, the bail bondsmen, parole officers, the rehab businesses, etc.  And last but not least...the people living in otherwise hopeless environments on both sides of the border who make livings out of the drug trade right up until they day they get killed or incarcerated.  But any thinking person will tell you that somebody who feels they have nothing to lose makes for a very dangerous person.  Add to that mix the political aspects that serve only to get politicians elected and their supporters funded and then nothing ever gets any better. Prohibition didn't work with alcohol, gambling, or prostitution.  It will never work with drugs.  Spend the money on education, job creation, treatment, family planning, preventing and solving real crimes, and eliminating corruption.  You do those things and you begin to level the financial playing field across borders.  The US is primarily responsible for providing the guns and the money for these cartels to flourish.  The cartels used to operate much more quietly before Calderon foolishly though he could out spend and outgun these guys.  They used to just buy politicians and police when needed and everybody just winked and nodded and bought a new truck with cash.  I say legalize it all and probably many will die as prices come down and supplies are available. In the long run there will be much less crime of all kinds and people will find alternatives to this lifestyle if those alternatives are made available.  It will take a generation or two but we have already wasted several generations and it is not getting better.  You know the definition of insanity...Don't expect a different result unless you try something different.  Alan

I'll vote to legalize as long as no taxpayer money is used to interfere with the natural consequences of that action. Let the chips fall where they may.

Probably more crime reporting in Syria than Mexico, so many cases go unreported and authorities dissuade reports and make it a difficult game and then have their hand out to the bad guys.  Its not drugs it is a culture of corruption and people will not all of the sudden stop one criminal activity and be honest, they will go to another because it is easy money.

Mañana Forever? Mexico and the Mexicans by Jorge Castañeda

AGUAYO.jpg

http://www.americasquarterly.org/node/2785

"...But it is not cultural inheritance that accounts for the mediocrity of the political elites and their resistance to change and for the crisis of Mexican democracy. Rather, it is their defense of special interests and their selfishness and corruption. "

The culture of corruption is transparent in Mexico, whereas in many countries, the péople are led to believe that their country is not in comparison to Mexico´s corruption level.  The truth is that those countries just have a different variety of corruption that is not transparent.  As Robert Penn Warren eloquently wrote:  "Man is conceived in sin and born in corruption and he passeth from the stink of the didie to the stench of the shroud."   A quote from his book All the King´s Men, his description of power corrupts all.  Plenty of examples of corruption in this hemisphere, the Americas, in all countries.

27 minutes ago, Kiko said:

The culture of corruption is transparent in Mexico, whereas in many countries, the péople are led to believe that their country is not in comparison to Mexico´s corruption level.  The truth is that those countries just have a different variety of corruption that is not transparent.  As Robert Penn Warren eloquently wrote:  "Man is conceived in sin and born in corruption and he passeth from the stink of the didie to the stench of the shroud."   A quote from his book All the King´s Men, his description of power corrupts all.  Plenty of examples of corruption in this hemisphere, the Americas, in all countries.

Maybe not...

http://www.transparency.org/news/feature/corruption_perceptions_index_2016#table

"Let's get straight to the point: No country gets close to a perfect score in the Corruption Perceptions Index 2016.

Over two-thirds of the 176 countries and territories in this year's index fall below the midpoint of our scale of 0 (highly corrupt) to 100 (very clean). The global average score is a paltry 43, indicating endemic corruption in a country's public sector. Top-scoring countries (yellow in the map below) are far outnumbered by orange and red countries where citizens face the tangible impact of corruption on a daily basis."

That's the score.  The rank is 123 out of 175.  I believe that is down from 95 in 2015.  How they handle the score versus the rank is a little confusing to me.  If the global average is 43 but Mexico is 30, down from 35 previously, that doesn't strike me as a trend in the right direction.

One source suggests the bigger ranking number means less corrupt but looking at the table the inverse appears true.  The countries with the smallest numerical ranking number have the highest score and they are described as the least corrupt.

This however seems close to home:  

The lower-ranked countries in our index are plagued by untrustworthy and badly functioning public institutions like the police and judiciary. Even where anti-corruption laws are on the books, in practice they're often skirted or ignored. People frequently face situations of bribery and extortion, rely on basic services that have been undermined by the misappropriation of funds, and confront official indifference when seeking redress from authorities that are on the take.

Mexico's citizens face a constant, everyday, in-your-face, endemic corruption that plagues them. It started with the PRI, and continues with the PRI.

Archived