Chapala.com Webboard

New poisoning

I am renting in Villa Nova and have been enjoying cool morning walks with my little dog.  Many dog owners doing the same.  We have been enjoying visits the last few mornings with a lovely little colt that is temporarily pastured on a property about two blocks north of the carretera on Rio Nazas.  This morning when we got there, the colt was lying dead.  Someone poisoned it last night.  The owner was there, very upset, as was I.  My Spanish isn't great but apparently he was waiting for the authorities.  

Folks look at me a bit askance when the see my small dog in a muzzle, but until this monster is put away I won't take any chances.

Putting posion on something a dog would eat would not interest a horse. Colts are goofy but that is my experience. I think the answer on the colt lies elswhere.There are a number of plants that a colt would eat that could poison them. I have lost a colt to purple mint several years ago. On the purple mint which is a hemoragic the older horses knew not to eat it but goofy colts did not. Of course a person trying to be helpful might have fed something to the colt without knowing that it could be harmful. I knew of cases where people thought a horse was not being fed "enough" and they bought a bag of feed or corn and dumped th ewhold bag for the horse with horrible results. Horses have fragile stomachs.

5 hours ago, Suesinthewind said:

I am renting in Villa Nova and have been enjoying cool morning walks with my little dog.  Many dog owners doing the same.  We have been enjoying visits the last few mornings with a lovely little colt that is temporarily pastured on a property about two blocks north of the carretera on Rio Nazas.  This morning when we got there, the colt was lying dead.  Someone poisoned it last night.  The owner was there, very upset, as was I.  My Spanish isn't great but apparently he was waiting for the authorities.  

Folks look at me a bit askance when the see my small dog in a muzzle, but until this monster is put away I won't take any chances.

How could you tell it had been poisoned...?

The owner was waiting for the authorities, as I stated.  Don't know the outcome and probably have no way to find out.  However, the owner did manage to say that somebody put additional pellets into the feeding container (which was accessible)and there was some "malo" stuff mixed in.  The colt was tied out of reach of field forage. I spent years around horses and saw the dead colt from about ten yards.

I am not sure how warning folks about a possible new poisoning is "inflammatory".  The other dog owners who walk their dogs in Villa Nova were glad to have the information so they could be extra vigilant.  Met a woman not four days ago whose little dog was poisoned along the malecon but survived after a heroic and expensive effort by her vet.

It sucks that this goes on here but for those of us who treasure our pets, better safe than sorry.  My dog is going back into her soft muzzle which precludes her from eating something when I am not looking.  Ajijic is wonderful but no place is perfect.

Archived