Chapala.com Webboard

HSBC ATM PROBLEMS

I had a very unpleasant experience today trying to take money out of a HSBC ATM across from Walmart. After entering the transaction the ATM went dead and showed out of service. Went to the cashier and asked to get my canadian debit card back that got stuck in the ATM. Sorry the card is destroyed and we cannot do anything about it. Asked to see the manager sorry he is busy, located him at the other ATM that was out of service and explained my problem. The man was rude and told me there is nothing we can do about it just get a new one from your bank. Asked again that I want the card back or if destroyed the remains of it, short abrupt answer HSBC does not do this. Employee and Manager were rude never experienced in my 30 years such rude behavior at any Mexican Bank. 

Had a similar problem twice at BANCOMER, no problem they got my card back in no time. Seems to me that HSBC is not a good place to bank.

Sorry to hear this!

Just left HSBC - all was well!

Never had a problem before.

For some strange reason, many ATMs here, even if in a bank, are independent and the bank employees don't have any access.

Seems that often the bank employees have no access to the ATM, maybe for security reasons so robbers cannot try to force them to open the ATM??  Had an issue at Multiva a few weeks ago and was told by Multiva staff to call my US bank to replace the card.  

Perhaps the perceived rudeness was the result of not accepting the same answer, when it was given more than once.  The answer was valid, and the employees do not have access to the ATMs, as stated above.  One must contact their own bank, report the incident, location and time. Your bank will access and confirm the details and make it good; though, it may take some time.

If bank employees did have access to ATMs, they would be held up and robbed quite frequently.  Note that the machines are serviced by separate armed and guarded technicians with armored vehicles.  If the machine “ate“ your card, it was shredded, so even the technicians do not have access to your account.  You will need a new card.

I think they do since they also put money in the machine.

Also, their machine doesn't "swallow" the card so easier to get it back.

Only problem there is that now there are so few ATMs to get cash at the machine is pumped dry much more frequently than it used to be.

21 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Perhaps the perceived rudeness was the result of not accepting the same answer, when it was given more than once.  The answer was valid, and the employees do not have access to the ATMs, as stated above.  One must contact their own bank, report the incident, location and time. Your bank will access and confirm the details and make it good; though, it may take some time.

If bank employees did have access to ATMs, they would be held up and robbed quite frequently.  Note that the machines are serviced by separate armed and guarded technicians with armored vehicles.  If the machine “ate“ your card, it was shredded, so even the technicians do not have access to your account.  You will need a new card.

The rudeness was not perceived it was real all that was missing that he gives me the finger. 

At Bancomer employees have access to ATMs when a card gets stuck it happened twice to me and there was no problem to get it back. I understand that ATMs in stores are a different story thats why I avoid them. Definitely never ever will use HSB ATM nor their banking, I know they couldn't care but I do.

Sorry you have had problems but that is usually the case with all banks. AS RV Gringo says employees do not have access to the cards that are in their machines. A separate company runs those machines.

Saturday Afternoon both ATMs at HSBC are not working. 

On 5/6/2017 at 5:21 PM, cedros said:

Sorry you have had problems but that is usually the case with all banks. AS RV Gringo says employees do not have access to the cards that are in their machines. A separate company runs those machines.

Saturday Afternoon both ATMs at HSBC are not working. 

HSBC seems to be the exception to that rule, BBVA and others get your card back if at one of their branches, obviously HSBC is not a bank to be recommended.

Go to CI Banco in the same shopping center, across from Wing's Army. It doesn't take your card into the machine. It is a bit tricky to use now that most all cards have chips in them. Put the card in and then take it out like it says. Then a message comes on saying your card has  chip and to put it back in. Then it says it can read your chip and proceed to put in your pin. You have to take your card out again to take the money.

2 hours ago, joco69 said:

HSBC seems to be the exception to that rule, BBVA and others get your card back if at one of their branches, obviously HSBC is not a bank to be recommended.

The same thing happened to me at Banamex once. They could not get my card back so I had to wait for a new one to come from Canada-one month.

1 hour ago, jrm30655 said:

This virus that is going around may be part of the problem also.

Most ATMs still run on Microsoft XP and that is the main target of the virus

I doubt if it has anything to do with that virus. It is quite standard bank practice to do it that way now.

Archived