Chapala.com Webboard

Alternatives to Telmex

I have been looking at a house in San Antonio on Calle La Paz, just east of where the cows are.

I went to Telmex yesterday and the woman (no English) told me that they had service there and to come in 10 days before I wanted it connected.

This afternoon I went and talked with Oscar and he told me it might be "iffy" getting service...something about the government and providing service in Ajijic and San Antonio.  He mentioned something about a waiting list.

Ok, so I called Telecable (ugh) and they said they didn't service the area.

Next called Spiderweb in Chapala,  They have internet only which would be OK if I knew if Telmex would eventually be able to connect me. Has anyone dealt with Spiderweb?  I am wondering if I would be able to use my Vonage phone (should be since it is a VOIP) and get Netflix?

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Muchas gracias.

Well, Telmex is the only game in town for landline telephone but you have several choices for cellphone telephone service (depending on your exact location).

Internet?  Telecable or cellphone or Telmex (must have a line capability 'tho).    

13 hours ago, Sandrita said:

I have been looking at a house in San Antonio on Calle La Paz, just east of where the cows are.

I went to Telmex yesterday and the woman (no English) told me that they had service there and to come in 10 days before I wanted it connected.

This afternoon I went and talked with Oscar and he told me it might be "iffy" getting service...something about the government and providing service in Ajijic and San Antonio.  He mentioned something about a waiting list.

Ok, so I called Telecable (ugh) and they said they didn't service the area.

Next called Spiderweb in Chapala,  They have internet only which would be OK if I knew if Telmex would eventually be able to connect me. Has anyone dealt with Spiderweb?  I am wondering if I would be able to use my Vonage phone (should be since it is a VOIP) and get Netflix?

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Muchas gracias.

Not sure who Oscar is in your comment.  TelMex employee??

FWIW....early last week, we bought a house in Ajijic that had TelMex service, but the tenants took the phone number with them, and shut off the TelMex.  Our realtor told us there may be a delay in getting service started again at the house.  Also mentioned a waiting list. 

We went to TelMex a week ago Tuesday, explained what we wanted (internet and landline service).  At TelMex the woman who helped us said, they have a 10 day guarantee for new service, but expected ours would take a week or less.  She also wrote down what she said would be our new phone number.  The installer came out the very next day with the modem, did the install and even helped repair a dodgy phone line.

Also, the same evening that we signed up at the Ajijic TelMex office, we received an email from TelMex central confirming their 10 day guarantee and telling us the steps to take if they failed to perform on time.  It seems they are committed to their 10 day guarantee.  

And no we did not pay or offer to pay for faster service.  

Archived