Chapala.com Webboard

Music in San AntonioTlay,

Guest English Rose

12 hours ago, betty7 said:

MC yes there are loud college frat parties in the US, loud disco bars. usually weekends & vacations. w/older folks its generally a class/cultural thing. not many lawyers doctors scientists or ambitious business owners (old or young) are in the streets all night (anywhere). inner cities in US have loud music. i called police many times as the caribs & africans had loud speakers near by. (i lived in a gentrifing area). finally i called the owner of the house closest to me. w/in one month he sold that house to professional young couple. quiet @ last. the offenders moved to the deeper inner city where they could have their refrigerator size amps blasting on the porch all day. if the neigbors didnt like it they could take the law into their own hands & fight it out.

Thanks bennie2,bronco, susan, et al but I happen to know a few lawyers,doctors and business people who like to party just as much as the people you feel are not up to those standards.

1 minute ago, betty7 said:

ned, your doctor friends are not out @ 4am in the inner city. dont lie. re read the post & think critically. 

They are my friends so I actually know what they do,you don't. What part of a city is geographically classified as "inner". How about you give us an example from here instead of there where ever that is. What part of any pueblo or town on this lake or even that big city just a bit north of us-hmmmm.

Ned... Your never going to win that argument. You know there a few old senile gringos who every chance they get want to change the Mexican culture  i.e.: Roll up the carpet and turn off the lights at 9pm. It looks like we have another one joining the ranks.. 

Mexicans like noise and like to party into the night.. If you attend any of these event you will it's Mexicans making the noise and partying... 

In the 11 years I've been here I have never heard any of my Mexican friends complain about the noise.. They like a good party....

I can't understand why people who move close to any town plaza suddenly complain about parties and noise.  The plazas are the central hub of a town or village, and therefore are meeting/celebration hotspots.  You knew the plaza was there when you moved in, so don't complain.

Well, I wasn't there so I can't comment directly on the situation.  Having weathered around 5 years here (of my total of 10) of continuous very loud noise from several commercial places, I can point out a few things for perspective.  

A one-time special event for the community such as the inauguration of the lovely new plaza is certainly much more tolerated than the continuous noise of certain commercial establishments such as bars and now, exercise classes at Plaza B in Ajijic which play the worse versions of the worst "music" from the USA.  If the Mexican people themselves planned the SA event, the rest can tolerate it for one night.  That is a whole different ball of wax than commercial noise which is highly annoying to the Mexican people.  If you spoke Spanish and actually talked to them as I have to my neighbors many times, you would know.  The people here do love their traditional fiesta music, but that is played only at certain special times, never all the time such as bars and gyms.

True, the noise problem overall has greatly increased over the last several years due to the easy availability of professional size equipment which is usually way too big for the given event or room.  They waste far too much money to rent or buy this equipment, and have no idea how to adjust the various sound controls like volume and effects.  So everything turns out too loud because no one really knows how to operate equipment, the size of which was formerly available to professional musicians in the pre-digital era.  And they don't know that they don't know!

It is perfectly fair to point out that amplified sound was developed in the USA around 80 years ago, and was always used inside soundproofed buildings located in business or warehouse zones, and bothering the neighbors was never acceptable  I was there for the huge explosion of rock music in San Francisco as numerous once local bands rocketed to fame very quickly in the 60s.  They started out in refurbished old big band dance halls and free outdoor concerts in Golden Gate Park on weekends.  As the crowds grew very fast, they had to keep changing their venues because of neighborhood complaints.  In a few short years, one ice rink/arena and another former roller rink were converted to music venues to accommodate both local and touring bands such as Hendrix and Cream, along with newly discovered (by white people) blues stars such as BB King.  Pretty soon, rock bands were playing at major sports arenas where the sound issues were already factored in.  Here, you have groups playing at almost arena sound levels in small bars and other rooms.  That is crazy!

Such tips as using fans to "cover" the sound or earplugs are useless when you have truly loud music in your house, as I have had many, many times.  The offensive sound level is more like someone running a vacuum cleaner in your bedroom while your are trying to sleep or even think, or live your daily life without such gross interference on a very frequent basis.  Please do not minimize the genuine stress and suffering that such noise has caused to the neighbors who are mostly Mexican, in case you haven't noticed!

And please quit repeating this cliche of "Mexicans like everything loud."  If you talked directly to the neighbors en espanyol, you would know this isn't true.  Only the juvenile noisemakers enjoy it, most others in earshot suffer!  Operating sound equipment is a job skill, not for inexperienced amateurs!  They often treat sound equipment like a toy here.

Any updates on the new Jalisco sound regs??  

I recently returned from San Cristobal where they had lots of excellent music outside and in small clubs and all of it was great stuff and none of it was too loud.  It was not audible even in the street IFO my hotel only 1 or 2 blocks away.  Evidently, they know how to do things there!  I did not need earplugs!  I also walked by a couple of music stores which sold only small size amps.  The needlessly huge systems that you see here were nowhere in sight.  Enjoy!  

ned pappy, & the rest of the delusional outthere: does a building have to fall on your head? read MC's posts its MEXICANS who passed the noise laws & signed petitions. geesh, talk about senile. how many times does someone have to repeat? ezpz, americans think all mexicans (& 3rd world) are ghetto down. you know, local color who sit on benches & drink, stay up all night blast music. people who are considered "happy" stress free oh always soooo wonderful & wise. this is not "mexican culture". it is one kind of people in certain neighorhoods. (the ones who you know). an insult to many mexicans. the event mentioned ended @ 12am so its not as bad as it could have been. this is not only about sound systems you know. it goes further than that. before these huge speakers (years back), many black or hispanic innercity areas had loud music from cars @ 4am. i did not consider them "happier" than me. constant 24/7 celebrations are generally not for those w/steller intellects. inviting neighbors hasnt stopped those locals from complaining. its just asking them to come closer to the noise. pedro, ned & i dont go to the same doctor.:ph34r:

Well I'm with Ned, Pappy and the others you call delusional.   I also know a few affluent party goers, and await my time in the old folks home or down under for quiet time.   No need for name calling, you made your point.

el cartero your affluent party go'ers are not torturing people in chapala or the plazas. its an over reach. the petitions have been signed by mexicans who dont care about the social status of your friends. rest my case.

2 minutes ago, betty7 said:

el cartero your affluent party go'ers are not torturing people in chapala or the plazas. its an over reach. the petitions have been signed by mexicans who dont care about the social status of your friends. rest my case.

What petitions...?  There aren't any and never have been any...

ok i have the patience of a saint. i took care of 2 elderly parents who thought roosevelt was president. SO here goes again: kindly re read MCs posts. the info is there. take the time to read them all on this topic to find the bottom line. he is politically active & knows whats up. if you love noise & all night music be my guest. try chapala, they may have another week planned just for you.

Archived