Chapala.com Webboard

Music in San AntonioTlay,

Guest English Rose

Guest English Rose

For all the bad publicity the the music venues get, I have to say the group who put it together Wed night did very well. The lighting, staging, amplifiers, the taking a 15 minute break about every hour, the choice of good music and artists was very well done. Yes it was loud but they finished about 12:30am. It was a good community event.

Why complain? Centuries of tradition have been updated with more modern requirements. Mexicans love to party. They are a much happier people than where I come from; in fact, the 2nd happiest as ranked around the world. This is one reason why.

San Antonio had three separate parties to celebrate the new plaza. Whatever one may think of the pesos that were spent, they went ahead and celebrated anyway. I was there. Lots of happy.

Guest English Rose

Mainecoons, are you saying that you never partied late into the night? Judging by the many people of this community there, gringo and Mexican, young and older, you couldn't ask for a better event.

Time for you to get out and learn how to live life, Mainecoons!

Guest English Rose

Betty,....' lower skilled non skilled & less educated people party all night '.... this has to be the greatest insult to any people. Go out in the sunshine, take a deep breath and be thankful you are able to live here. The alternative is that place between here and Guad and can take you anywhere you want.

25 minutes ago, English Rose said:

Mainecoons, are you saying that you never partied late into the night? Judging by the many people of this community there, gringo and Mexican, young and older, you couldn't ask for a better event.

Time for you to get out and learn how to live life, Mainecoons!

No I'm pointing out this concert may have kept people who have to go to school or work during the week may have had their rest compromised by an event allowed to go this late at night in mid week.

And what about the many people not there who were trying to sleep at that late hour?

Do you not understand the difference between a private party and a public music event?  Or the difference between a complaint and an observation?

BTW the new Plaza turned out really nice.  It will be a great asset to San Antonio.  You all may want to organize some sort of community/maintenance activity going forward as we all know our municipal government isn't too long on maintaining anything outside of Chapala.

english rose, most are low & non skilled workers in general. thats not an insult, it is what it is. what is wrong w/stating fact? MC is correct. there are people who have to go to bed early to get up, students who go to school. the event should have ended @ 10-10:30pm @ the latest. 

San Antonio has been very quiet this morning. ^_^

The musicians played directly in front of my house. It was loud - very loud. I, also, wondered about the locals who had to get up early and go to school or work this morning. But, I thought: this is a an issue of the neighborhood, and they will address these items as deemed necessary.  Perhaps next year they will end the festivities a bit earlier, or reduce the volume as the evening progresses, in consideration of those who must rise early.  As a retiree I am at liberty to sleep in or take a midday siesta, and I am the least entitled to complain.

However, I have found when there is an excessive amount of noise at night the best remedy is a floor fan set on a medium speed. It provides background noise and dulls annoyances that may disturb peaceful sleep.

most of the complainers are mexicans who have to wake up early & need a good sleep. these festivals may be entertaining for elderly expats but not for all mexicans. i am not @ liberty to sleep late or stay up & be tortured w/loud noise either. my health is @ risk, im a person too. anyway, its bad enough where i live i cant imagine what it must be living near both plazas. very disrespectful. dont try to change this.

18 minutes ago, kimanjome said:

San Antonio has been very quiet this morning. ^_^

The musicians played directly in front of my house. It was loud - very loud. I, also, wondered about the locals who had to get up early and go to school or work this morning. But, I thought: this is a an issue of the neighborhood, and they will address these items as deemed necessary.  Perhaps next year they will end the festivities a bit earlier, or reduce the volume as the evening progresses, in consideration of those who must rise early.  As a retiree I am at liberty to sleep in or take a midday siesta, and I am the least entitled to complain.

However, I have found when there is an excessive amount of noise at night the best remedy is a floor fan set on a medium speed. It provides background noise and dulls annoyances that may disturb peaceful sleep.

This is Meico, music and noise into the night is part of the culture.  Should have cheked into that be fore moving here, so stop complaining gringo.  Midnight seems to be an acceptable hour to stop.

kyle have you read my post? reread. tell that to the mexicans who complain. they will tell YOU to go home. mexico can also be very quiet as well. maybe you should travel some & explore the country? theres more here than amplifiers.

11 minutes ago, Kyle said:

This is Meico, music and noise into the night is part of the culture.  Should have cheked into that be fore moving here, so stop complaining gringo.  Midnight seems to be an acceptable hour to stop.

No doubt you can explain why Mexicans passed a strong noise ordinance several years ago that this weekday event would seem to be seriously in violation of.  Here is where you can view the law and a discussion around it.

http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?/topic/49808-any-experience-with-the-mexico-55-decibel-noise-law-that-passed-december-2013-or-the-066-support-phone-number/

Perhaps the Mexicans who passed this law, and it has been reported that it is being rigorously enforced in some Mexican communities, should either get over it or go home.  How they accomplish the latter should prove to be interesting.

3 hours ago, betty7 said:

computerguy, lower skilled non skilled & less educated people party all night. this does not reflect all mexicans. it is an insult to many people.

You never enjoyed a party? I believe your focus is too narrow. An insult to my many Mexican friends, and permanent residents? I sure would like to know what a compliment is, then.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Kyle, have you read MY post?  Please re-read carefully.  I have not complained.

I am saying that how the Mexicans choose to handle the noise/music/festivities is their business, and if they choose to enforce violations or not is again, their business.  

I have traveled throughout Mexico (and the world, for that matter) for many years, and I knew what I was getting into when I chose to move here.  That is why I am not complaining, but rather, using a solution that works for me. I am adapting to my environment, and not trying to force my environment to adapt to me.

2 hours ago, kimanjome said:

Kyle, have you read MY post?  Please re-read carefully.  I have not complained.

I am saying that how the Mexicans choose to handle the noise/music/festivities is their business, and if they choose to enforce violations or not is again, their business.  

I have traveled throughout Mexico (and the world, for that matter) for many years, and I knew what I was getting into when I chose to move here.  That is why I am not complaining, but rather, using a solution that works for me. I am adapting to my environment, and not trying to force my environment to adapt to me.

Well I've lived here for over 9 years now and the noise level has definitely gone up.  Not sure how I could have anticipated that.  However, it is up to the Mexicans as you point out.  I just wanted to correct any impression this is somehow only a concern among expats.  Clearly, looking at the legislation passed wholly by Mexicans and if I understand the news reports I read in the Mexican press correctly being increasingly enforced by them, there appears to be a growing concern in the Mexican community about loud late night noise.

computer guy, there are 1000% more parties/holidays/festivals here than where im from in the US. it is more of a 3rd world lowerclass custom.   there is nothing "insulting" about being a lower skilled worker. they are the most sought after people in europe/US. i dont look down on them. i just stay in my own space as im not comfortable socially. (neither are my mex friends). some workers can go to work w/ hangover or no sleep. others cannot & resent the noise. MC is correct, it is MEXICANS who have helped pass noise ordinances. sorry, they may interfere w/your nightlife in the future. 

I'm a little skeptical about the class argument.  It seems to me to be more about age than class.  This is a country with a lot of young people, a lot more per capita than in the U.S.  Young people like to party and there are more opportunities than ever to do so.

In the U.S. because of climate and how buildings are constructed, the partying tends to go on indoors.  Here, the climate permits outdoor partying almost year round (rain permitting) and even when indoors most structures are so open they may as well be outdoors.  That definitely compounds the "keeping the neighborhood awake" problem.

Sound equipment has gotten more powerful, AND more affordable.  I bought a pretty decent setup for my (adopted) grandson in GDL for peanuts compared to what it would have cost even 9 years ago.  He is an aspiring DJ and his parents and I make him wear ear plugs. :D

Guest English Rose
3 hours ago, court0503 said:

It was a terrific event & the community seemed to really enjoy the evening! I live a few doors down & the fan easily took care of the music when I went to bed at 10pm 

Thank you court. It was a very nice evening.

MC yes there are loud college frat parties in the US, loud disco bars. usually weekends & vacations. w/older folks its generally a class/cultural thing. not many lawyers doctors scientists or ambitious business owners (old or young) are in the streets all night (anywhere). inner cities in US have loud music. i called police many times as the caribs & africans had loud speakers near by. (i lived in a gentrifing area). finally i called the owner of the house closest to me. w/in one month he sold that house to professional young couple. quiet @ last. the offenders moved to the deeper inner city where they could have their refrigerator size amps blasting on the porch all day. if the neigbors didnt like it they could take the law into their own hands & fight it out.

Archived