Chapala.com Webboard

This may explain the big decline in the roads

Mainecoons

Where in this article is "stealing"?  Maybe adapt, 10 ply tires, good shocks, high clearance - duh. Maybe expecting Mexican highways to accommodate a European motorcycle, built for the "autobahn" is entirely unrealistic, maybe even a little bit reckless.

18 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Where in this article is "stealing"?  Maybe adapt, 10 ply tires, good shocks, high clearance - duh. Maybe expecting Mexican highways to accommodate a European motorcycle, built for the "autobahn" is entirely unrealistic, maybe even a little bit reckless.

"Adapt"??? Are you suggesting that pensioners who can just afford a compact car for under 20 grand go out and buy a 35grand gas hogging vehicle because the roads aren't being repaired?  We're seeing money spent on all manner of other things and it's no shocking news that corruption may exist in high places.

46 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I'm referring to the weekly reports of politicians stealing everyone's tax dollars.  Start paying better attention to the Mexican news, the reports of corruption, theft and politicians fleeing the country to avoid prosecution are constant these days.  The amount of money they've walked off with just in the last few years easily covers the road maintenance budget.

What does that have to do with motorcycles, pray tell?  If you want to become better educated on that topic I suggest you read up on what dual sport bikes are designed for.  Hint:  Off road and rough pavement.

Oh and FYI, not counting the scooters BMW is the number one selling moto in Mexico and almost all of those sold are the GS models.

Mexico News Daily is now a reliable news source? What I don't get is how you have to punctuate nearly every post with a negative spin about Mexico and Mexicans. It is like a worn out cicada (a cicadence?). Is there anything you like about this country? Name me the top three reasons why you keep living (??) here, other than cheap climate, cheap hired help, cheap medical. Seriously.

Corruption is everywhere - why it is in the news is because these people are getting caught. As I mentioned before, this is the worst time in history to be corrupt or an international drug smuggler.

I suggest you start with Transparency International, the many articles on the depth and cost of corruption in Mexico that are easily found on the internet.  Just Google "corruption in Mexico" and you will find enough to keep you busy for hours and also help you understand the connection between the theft of public monies here and the dismal state of public services and the infrastructure.

No the level of corruption in this country is not found everywhere.  Do your homework.

On the topic here, it should be apparent this country is headed for a collision with its rotting roads and the high rate of vehicle sales and expanding use of truck transport.  Auto sales are up nearly 30 percent in Jalisco.

Chapala highway is rapidly becoming the norm here. 

Also Chillin, seriously, keep your personal comments to yourself.  Thanks.

No.  It doesn't require hours to figure this one out unless one is a very slow reader.

I think we would all find it interesting if you somehow can concoct an argument which proposes that the theft of public monies here, well above the average of the developed and developing world, has no bearing on the situation reported in the OP.

I will ask you one more time to address the topic and stop addressing comments to me personally.  The topic is the decline in the roads in this country because of lack of money for maintenance.  If you believe the reference incorrect, provide you own which support your point of view.

28 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

This is a Mexican problem, which will be solved by Mexicans, in their own way, in their own time.

Actually, this is a problem for anyone that used these roads/highways and for damage that may befall their coche.  And, it seems pretty obvious that the money needed to make a big improvement in this problem is being put somewhere else ( maybe in people's pockets, as Mexico is very famous for). You are correct; Mexico will solve it in their own way and own time, which is Never, since it appears that corruption is more prevalent in Mexico now than it has been. You need not attack the messenger, just because he speaks the truth. If you have an opinion on the topic, then express it on the topic, not on the person you dislike for being truthful. Just sayin'.

Start paying better attention to the Mexican news

If you want to become better educated on that topic

Do your homework.

These are not personal comments? Even thinly-veiled insults to his intelligence? Really?

Nope, he questioned the source and my comment on it so I encouraged him to do his own research at which time he will find many many sources that verify that corruption and theft of public monies is a serious and growing problem here.  For example, Mexico fell from 95th to 133 place in one year from 2015 to 2016 on the widely followed Transparency International index.

Interestingly, no one has mentioned the loss of Pemex revenues which has been caused by dropping oil prices but also endemic corruption in that organization as well.

The only one who seems to be making comments about intelligence is you.  I am suggesting he needs to research this topic further based on the lack of fact based rebuttal he is offering here. 

Doing one's homework has nothing to do with intelligence and everything with ones willingness to learn and check their positions against real world facts.

However it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if millions/billions are being stolen from the public purse by the political establishment there will probably be less money to fix the roads. :)

Next time, address a post like that to me via PM as you have been asked to do so previously. 

You are not a moderator. You are mainecoons. When you can separate the two identities, let me know, and I will. If you can be snarky with everyone else, I don't see why we can't question your comments. Do you?

How about a vote by the members of this board on whether or not "it doesn't take a rocket scientist" is a thinly (or not even so 'thinly') veiled negative slap at the person to whom it is directed?

One can be correct when saying "2 + 2 = 4" to an adult and still be 'snarky' by saying "2 + 2 = 4, something even a grade schooler knows" to the same adult.

I taught team building seminars at my university and I believe that all of the participants in all of those seminars would agree that both of the above are 'thinly veiled slaps' (or worse) and 'snarky.'

1 hour ago, NLU said:

How about a vote by the members of this board on whether or not "it doesn't take a rocket scientist" is a thinly (or not even so 'thinly') veiled negative slap at the person to whom it is directed?

One can be correct when saying "2 + 2 = 4" to an adult and still be 'snarky' by saying "2 + 2 = 4, something even a grade schooler knows" to the same adult.

I taught team building seminars at my university and I believe that all of the participants in all of those seminars would agree that both of the above are 'thinly veiled slaps' (or worse) and 'snarky.'

For that last part I suggest you look up the "bandwagon fallacy" which appears in at least some lists of logical fallacies used in arguments.  

However no problem.  Give us a factual rebuttal that there is no connection between the widespread corruption and the problems with the roads.  I can't figure out how one can have money for services when politicians put it in their pockets by the hundreds of millions if not billions but maybe you can show me how this is possible.  

The rocket science analogy is a common one and was not addressed to anyone here as an accurate reading of the post shows.  Please don't read things into posts that aren't there.

Perhaps some of you don't like the opinion I expressed here and instead of expressing your own opinions and backing them up find it easier to get personal.

Why don't you direct that effort into crafting a credible rebuttal?  Since there appears to be two points of disagreement, first with the veracity of the citation and second with my suggestion that there might be more money for the roads if there was less theft, why don't you all address one or both?  We might all learn something here.

I am going to put the moderator hat on and close the thread unless several of you get off the personalities and back on the subject.

Perhaps those interested in physics would prefer to discuss strangeness, rather than current road conditions. Quirks, quarks; anything but this.:rolleyes:

Archived