Chapala.com Webboard

Matchstick bamboo roll up blinds?

Does anyone know if those cheapo matchstick bamboo roll up blinds can be found locally? Or, any kind of reed or wicker or rattan blind? I've searched Home Depot but my Spanish doesn't seem to work very well. They need not be expensive, I am going to cut them up.

I've never seen them in the area but they probably are.

A suggestion. When you are looking for something and aren't sure if you can communicate with the vendor get a picture of the item off Google and show that. It makes life much less frustrating. 

Yes. I bought some at from the vendor right at the start of the market street on Wednesdays. He has rugs hanging up and a sign that says "cortinas" so you might want to take a Spanish speaker with you if dimensions are involved. I have a couple I could give you as I live in a house with blinds on all the windows. Let me know, preferably with a pm or a phone number.

Thanks. I'm looking for the type you can buy in the US at Walmart or Home Depot for about $10, they are used on porches to block sun.

Or I will take poorly woven beach mats.

As a last resort I will take long reeds or bamboo sticks, the kind used to support plants. I need them in bulk, quality not important. I'll lash them together to make a rectangular "mat". 

I need cheap as I have to make 8 of these, each measuring about a meter square.

Basically I am planning to cut them and use them as shades/filters for my skylights.

I've put curtains in a few of my skylights... Buy the tension shower rods, beige or white fabric with some poly in it and do a simple curtain with rod pockets on either end.  Works well and they last for years.

On 5/3/2017 at 8:08 PM, kimanjome said:

Thanks. I'm looking for the type you can buy in the US at Walmart or Home Depot for about $10, they are used on porches to block sun.

Or I will take poorly woven beach mats.

As a last resort I will take long reeds or bamboo sticks, the kind used to support plants. I need them in bulk, quality not important. I'll lash them together to make a rectangular "mat". 

I need cheap as I have to make 8 of these, each measuring about a meter square.

Basically I am planning to cut them and use them as shades/filters for my skylights.

Girl!  When I read your post on the skylights needing shade, I started to suggest this...  but with all the sniping going on, and not knowing your taste, I opted to say nothing rather than open myself up as a target for abuse...  :lol:

It is possible to get people to make  you the mats in the sizes you want...  At least, here in Chapala.  And I know a local Shaman who makes them...  nice ones, even, for the "sweat lodge" (to use wasicu-speak)...  He's even studied with the Northern Cree & some of the Lakota & knows how to do a proper sweat...  in case you're ever interested in visiting.  A very pos experience I highly recommend. 

You'll do well with these & they don't heat up under the sun!  Way to go!

Archived