Chapala.com Webboard

Duty for bringing small new items in from USA

I read on an "official" page that in order to simplify duty between the NAFTA parties, if I fly into Mexico with brand new personal items, like a pair of shoes, a set of sheets, towels, gizmos and gadgets from Ikea, my favorite tea, etc. that duty would be a flat 13.9% EVA.(I would not be bringing electronics)

Anyone have experience with this? I am considering flying to Houston and doing an overnight trip to pick up those items that I just cannot find here, or are prohibitively expensive to acquire through AmazonPrime.mx.

Any other ideas? I did talk to someone who takes the bus, it is a bit cheaper and certainly longer, but she mentioned it as a viable option.

Then again, others say the occasional NOB road trip is the way to go.

wear the shoes and do not declare, they are part of your wardrobe, wash the sheets , you have the right to bring your used sheets.. You are allowed to bring a certain amount duty free.. I forget what it is and pay the tax on the rest.. Unless you bring a lot of tea.. I have never paid duty even when I got the red light. 

7 minutes ago, kimanjome said:

I read on an "official" page that in order to simplify duty between the NAFTA parties, if I fly into Mexico with brand new personal items, like a pair of shoes, a set of sheets, towels, gizmos and gadgets from Ikea, my favorite tea, etc. that duty would be a flat 13.9% EVA.(I would not be bringing electronics)

Anyone have experience with this? I am considering flying to Houston and doing an overnight trip to pick up those items that I just cannot find here, or are prohibitively expensive to acquire through AmazonPrime.mx.

Any other ideas? I did talk to someone who takes the bus, it is a bit cheaper and certainly longer, but she mentioned it as a viable option.

Then again, others say the occasional NOB road trip is the way to go.

$500.00 USD exemption of duty on international flights. Total up your receipts on the Mexican Customs declaration form and keep them handy.

We've lived in MX permanently for almost 20 years (Sonora and Jalisco). Driven, flown and taken the bus. Our car has been so full of stuff that we couldn't see out of the back window. We try to remove wll packaging, sales tags etc. Even with many, many red lights we have NEVER had to pay duty. Keep receipts handy totalling below $500. Don't offer to show the receipts. If stopped, tell them you live ( permanently)  in Guadalajara or lago de Chapala area. Every time we have done this they say how beautiful it is here, how the clima is great etc.  They seem more interested in us than our purchases.

I always take stuff out of the original packaging, then just put in my luggage randomly among personal things that are obviously not new. I don't think Aduana is interested in charging you duty on a pair of shoes, or some sheets. They are more interested in electronics and other big ticket items.

But do be careful to pack those gizmos and gadgets, especially if they have any sharp parts, blades, etc in your checked luggage. I was once behind some poor woman passing through security in the Vancouver airport and they confiscated the new Braun coffee grinder she had in her carry-on because of the blade. Guess they'd had a rash of hijackings using a coffee grinder blade.

I don't worry about Aduana, but with a military search, ,,,watch their hands.  If available, I will offer the soldiers a bottle of water or coke at the onset of the stop.  Keep it simple.

Kiko, having crossed the border and driven to Ajijic countless times I find your comment about the military search derogatory. We have found the military checks to be very courteous and honest. If they want to check the back the always ask you to open it while standing there so find it difficult to understand your aspersion of "general" dishonesty.

2 hours ago, Coyote11 said:

Kiko, having crossed the border and driven to Ajijic countless times I find your comment about the military search derogatory. We have found the military checks to be very courteous and honest. If they want to check the back the always ask you to open it while standing there so find it difficult to understand your aspersion of "general" dishonesty.

Facebook Baja group posts like this post might have an influence on others reading this type of obviously made up to get attention stuff. Nobody with about $550 USD worth of pesos in their purse would ever be so stupid or lazy to let this happen and drive away and then later, "O Look! I´m missing my money! "

"22 hours

Just outside of Loreto at the military stop apparently when he went thru my purse he helped himself to about $10,000p, I guess he thought He needed it more than us. My fault! "

As we go back and forth to Chiapas at least twice a year and have been doing it for 1 0years we have had many military checks and we never has them steal anything from us  and our car is full on every trip..I had friends who got money taken away rom them by police but never by the military. I never had them go through my purse either but then our money is never is a place that is easily accessible when we go back and forth. It is usually split between us and close to our body , never in a purse or wallet..

Archived