Chapala.com Webboard

Are you allowed to shop at the duty-free shops in both the U.S. and Mexico, if flying through both?

suegarn

I'm sorry that I don't have the answer to your question, but what I have found is that as far as liquor goes, the duty free airport stores in Mexico are far more expensive than just buying it in your favorite local liquor stores or depts. Different from Canada, where liquor is heavily taxed and the duty frees are a big savings.

A 3 Lt. bottle of Crown Royal at the duty free at Dallas Airport costs more than 3 - 1 Lt. bottles at the booze store in West Ajijic - near El Serape.

The answer to OP's question is that they can buy in Guadalajara before flying into Atlanta and then again in Atlanta before flying into Canada. Some places are better bargains than others. Guadalajara is pretty good, Las Vegas is a rip-off, Dallas is good, Houston not so good and so on. Pays to keep track. 

Yes, but of course, and as you probably know, you must carry-on the alcohol from GDl to Atlanta.  Then put that bottle in your checked luggage which of course you pick up anyway and re-check.  Then you can go to the ATL duty free and purchase a bottle there which again becomes a carry-on for the ATL to Canada leg of  the flight.

2 hours ago, el bartman said:

Yes, but of course, and as you probably know, you must carry-on the alcohol from GDl to Atlanta.  Then put that bottle in your checked luggage which of course you pick up anyway and re-check.  Then you can go to the ATL duty free and purchase a bottle there which again becomes a carry-on for the ATL to Canada leg of  the flight.

Thanks, el bartman.....that was the best explanation to my query.  The main reason that I wanted to know about shopping in the duty-frees in Mexico and the U.S. was not due to the prices, but instead because there are certain brands of liquor and wine that can't be bought in Canada!

Archived