Chapala.com Webboard

Marine spar varnish or other highly sun/moisture resistant coating for wood?

We have these south facing wood garage and entry doors.  Although they are lovely to look at they are a major maintenance headache.  I've tried a number of clear polyurethanes and varnishes including very pricey marine spar varnish from the U.S.  Nothing will last even a year.

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered a coating that is more durable, either here or brought down from the U.S.  

Thanks.

Certainly, what you need is a high solids aliphatic urethane, clear coat with premium UV inhibitors.. This a two or up four component paint for chemical trucks, sea vessels, aircraft, etc. Now where to find it? I think Dupont makes some high end paints in Mexico. There has to be some industrial paint/clear coat distributors in Guadalajara. One trouble with these paints is if you want high gloss, they require spraying, and this requires a close watch on setting times (you don't want to ruin your sprayer), humidity, heat, etc. The other trouble is they require some pretty potent solvents for cleanup.

Mainecoons,

In Ajjic  next to Intercom there is a big paint store that has exactly what you are looking for. I spent the weekend using it. You get the clear plastic, the catalyst and the solvent for cleanup. That will get you a quart.  mixed.  It comes in three containers, two with liquid epoxy.  You mix half of the plastic with half the catalyst and I put it on with a brush.  It dries fairly quickly.  That ran me just over 500 pesos, not  counting the brush.  You put it on like paint.  Try not to get it on your skin, but the solvent will get it off. I put it on a cat gym made of pine.  Waterproof.

2 hours ago, jaykay said:

Mainecoons,

In Ajjic  next to Intercom

Where is Intercom?

Sorry - epoxy turns yellow in the UV. Nothing out there immune, I came close, but not close enough. The epoxy has to be protected by the aliphatic UV high solids urethane. The anti-grafitti premium urethane would be interesting to MC - these teflon enhanced products turn a wall into a dry erase board - even "Sharpies" are simply just wiped right off.

Have you considered just using a high quality wood oil? No toxic fumes, no enormous cost, no finding out that it didn't work any better than the last product you spent a lot of time and $ on. Easy to reapply another coat or two when needed.

In Chiapas where the climate is tougher than here we use cera and I slap it on once a year but it is easy, we mix the cera with gazoline and slap it on, it is fast and there is no need for removing anything first.

Archived