Chapala.com Webboard

May 1 st buy Only Mexican products

Kyle

MC can reply for himself.

For me support has a positive meaning but boycott does not. Certainly your right so go for it. Don't be surprised that someone might challenge you.

Seems like if you were really into this you would have looked into the answer to your question before the night before. Perhaps looking for affirmation?

Buy fruits and vegetables tomorrow but nothing else and the PC police will have no reason to knock on your door.

As you say, XX can reply for himself. The way I read the OP was that he wanted to support "Buy Mexican Day".... needed to know how to make sure he was buying Mexican and not US (in this case). That does not sound like a boycot to me but rather a person looking to insure he is buying only Mexican on this special day.  An answer is what he is looking for, not to be taken to task for his decision to Buy Mexico only. 

Smells like boycott to me.  Yup:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/01/AR2006050100506.html

Obviously, it always makes sense to buy Mexican as much as possible.  Imported stuff is expensive in case someone hasn't noticed.  We sure do that and so do the folks we know.  Has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with good old free market economics.

This is a country of, what, 120+ millions and "hundreds" are involved in this nonsense.  Try and keep this in perspective and don't be suckered by a small minority of people and a media with a decided agenda and bias that has mainly destroyed its own credibility.

Mexico enjoys a huge trade and financial surplus with the U.S.  Activities like this fall under the heading of being too stupid to understand it is a very bad idea to attack and tick off your best customer.  Fortunately, as noted, the vast majority of this country understand that.  

1 hour ago, RickS said:

As you say, XX can reply for himself. The way I read the OP was that he wanted to support "Buy Mexican Day".... needed to know how to make sure he was buying Mexican and not US (in this case). That does not sound like a boycot to me but rather a person looking to insure he is buying only Mexican on this special day.  An answer is what he is looking for, not to be taken to task for his decision to Buy Mexico only. 

" I want to avoid buying US products tomorrow" sure sounds like a boycott of US to me, ricks  Maybe you should let the OP stand up for himself, if he has a problem with the responses, no? Or, are you the pc police? Just sayin' !

The first three digits of a bar code for Mexican origin is 750.  It gets a little murky though, Mexico may import a product, then repackage it, then export with a 750 bar code.  Globalism and trade wars are not as simple as the ticker you read on the news.

3 minutes ago, Kiko said:

The first three digits of a bar code for Mexican origin is 750.  It gets a little murky though, Mexico may import a product, then repackage it, then export with a 750 bar code.  Globalism and trade wars are not as simple as the ticker you read on the news.

Thank you Kiko

Wow - MC has really drunk the koolaid on this one. This is an international holiday, a celebration of the workers all over the world. A trade war with the U.S. is inevitable if AMLO comes into power next year, which is looking increasingly likely, he is a populist and vocal as the current U.S. President, but comes from a far left background, which he appears to moderate when in power. China, Europe and Latin America will be the new trade partners. Reap what you sow, stock up on Cheatos.

It is a communist holiday.. Workers day and also women´s day  also an ancient festival of spring.. what has it got to do with buy Mexican ..beats me..

I buy what I need the day I feel like buying and could not care less where it comes from. If it is what I need I buy it..

Well, this is basically what these Forums are all about.... a person asks a legitimate question and then a bunch of people quickly jump his/her a** for even considering such a thing. Of course, no one actually answers the question because they are having too much fun promoting their views. "Kiko" finally did.... good for you Kiko!

PC Cop?  Guess I'm guilty of that  Hudster.  Just saying....

First of all, the article pointed to specifically refers to "hundreds" of union workers in Mexico City, and rallies across the US, and includes a number of state governors in Mexico. The march also includes other political targets, and falls on May 1, which is historically very significant in this country. So it is no small thing.

Kyle's question was extremely simple and does not deserve any denigrating comments. Add to that, what Kiko and Chillin said, and all is well and done. Along with that, a person's right to buy what he wants when he wants should not be taken to task, should it? I still use the plastic bags that WalMart gives me for groceries; should I be pooped upon for not carrying my own cloth bags? For that matter, for shopping at WalMart at all?

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:37 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Along with that, a person's right to buy what he wants when he wants should not be taken to task, should it? I still use the plastic bags that WalMart gives me for groceries; should I be pooped upon for not carrying my own cloth bags? For that matter, for shopping at WalMart at all?

Sure ! You want to take the only pleasure some people get in their lives away from them? Shame on you. We need to show a little more tolerance here for those who need us here, don't ya' think? They get their enjoyment, as ricks says, by jumping on the OP and we get ours from jumping on them just as bad, or worse. What's the difference? Being a PC Cop does not put us above them, does it? :D

If this was just about buying Mexican, it wouldn't have been on only one day.  And boycotting U.S. goods would not have come up at all.

It was about attacking a country with which this country enjoys a very substantial trade and fiscal surplus, mainly because the former thinks the latter should respect its borders and immigration laws just as the latter expects the former to do.  And as we expats here do.  

And it didn't amount to a hill of beans despite the best efforts of the fake news media to pretend it did.

As I noted, fortunately most of Mexico seems to understand the folly of attacking this country's far and away best customer.  Too bad we can't say the same about some of the expats around here, though I'll wager that none of the ones from the U.S. who engage in bashing their country because they can't accept the results of the last election aren't about to mail their social security checks back.

Those, BTW, continue to get paid because Americans work and pay into the Social Security fund every day.  There is no Trust Fund, that was spent decades ago.  It is cash in from them, cash out to the retired.

When greedy businesses export American jobs, they are exporting the future of your social security.  Keep that in mind. 

I'll continue to support Mexico's right to determine who and under what conditions comes here and I'll also support the U.S. right to do the same.  Whether it be the U.S. or Mexico it is government's job to put its own citizens first.

Really, none of what you just said makes any sense at all in relation to the topic.

And Hud, I see you passing from this life when your time comes, still laying in a massive bed of lovely rhetoric, and thinking it's not going to happen because you've figured out a way to say it's not. :lol:

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

I'll continue to support Mexico's right to determine who and under what conditions comes here and I'll also support the U.S. right to do the same.  Whether it be the U.S. or Mexico it is government's job to put its own citizens first.

Well said !

I'm trying to figure out what it says when some people view the idea as either right wing or political that nations and their people should mutually respect each others' borders and immigration laws.  That really is a mystery to me.

Actually, I think the U.S. should push all the old geezers south across the border to ensure that Medicare and Medicaid will be sustainable.  This makes a lot more sense than throwing out young people who need little health care and can be put to work.  

We're too old to work and too grouchy to be employable plus most of us probably can't find our way home anyway.

Problem solved. :D

Archived