Chapala.com Webboard

boat along our shoreline

Who's going to captain the boat?   IMO the lake is a little tricky if you don't know it and so nothing I know of in the way of rental.   If you want a boat with a captain I'm certain you could work out something with one of the many at the Chapala pier.  Hope this helps.

There is the pier in Ajijic which from which you might be able to disembark from one of the small "lanchas", 6-8 person boats.  I don`t believe there are any docks or piers from there to Joco. You could go to Isla de los Alacranas or Isla de Mezcala and disembark.

No inexperienced person should be out on the lake alone without an experienced person. The lake is full of hard to see or invisible hazards especially from Joco to Chapala. Many, many invisible fishermen's nets and all you can see are the four floating plastic bottles anchoring the ends of each net. In some places, the nets are so close together you can't tell from the floating bottles exactly where the nets are. 

If you hire a boat with captain you can get off wherever you want on the north shore and south. There are many places you can do this. I have to laugh when just the Chapala and Ajijic piers are mentioned. As well as piers and malecons all around there are landfalls that you can use too.

Archived