Chapala.com Webboard

Any businesses that test home drinking water?

Moved into a place that has triple purification system plus UV light, so assumed the water was potable, as system was said to be mantained.  You can guess the rest of the story.  Thank God for my ama de casa, she suggested having the system checked. Home services came out and the filters were black with sludge, algae.  So now  I am on purifed water (along with antibiotics) but I am not  improving significantly.  I've been tested for typhoid, e.coli, a few other things.  Blood tests show high extremely high neutrophils (likely bacterial infection), urine tests show it is in my kidneys.  Just started in the past 10 days, and I've been here less than a month. The doctors are stumped, as I don't have a fever, just chills, fatigue, and back pain. No bowel issues whatsoever.

Is there a Water Testing Service that can take samples of what is in my home water and has made me ill?  Would sure help the doctors know how to treat it.

Thanks in advance.

40 minutes ago, kimanjome said:

Moved into a place that has triple purification system plus UV light, so assumed the water was potable, as system was said to be mantained.  You can guess the rest of the story.  Thank God for my ama de casa, she suggested having the system checked. Home services came out and the filters were black with sludge, algae.  So now  I am on purifed water (along with antibiotics) but I am not  improving significantly.  I've been tested for typhoid, e.coli, a few other things.  Blood tests show high extremely high neutrophils (likely bacterial infection), urine tests show it is in my kidneys.  Just started in the past 10 days, and I've been here less than a month. The doctors are stumped, as I don't have a fever, just chills, fatigue, and back pain. No bowel issues whatsoever.

Is there a Water Testing Service that can take samples of what is in my home water and has made me ill?  Would sure help the doctors know how to treat it.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry to hear of your illness and hope you recover soon.  Have you been tested for a yeast infection as well?

I have a whole house filtration system installed by H2Ole a few years ago.  It is fairly expensive to properly maintain since the filters need to be changed every few months or sooner, but it is less expensive than using garafons and it covers showers and sinks as well.

I'd suggest seeing H2Ole for water testing, too.

A reverse osmosis system is usually recommended for having pure water at at least one source.

I pump the ajibe water through the usual 2 filters and uv light and as per Gringal use a reverse osmosis system as a source of pure water to and from the fridge.  We have a community ajibe which has filters before distributing the water to the homes within the frac -- again, too old to be hoisting garrafons around and pure water is important to me whatever the cost!

You asked if anyone has a reverse osmosis machine. Yes I do. Yes before the machine I have a whole in-house water softener and a U/V light. But I also have a reverse osmosis machine that has an output for drinking water and a tube to the automatic ice maker in the refrig.  It works great. Yes I have my U/V light replaced once per year and have the person who replaces my light also check reverse osmosis filters at the same time..

I have had the system since 2008 and have never had a problem.

So: for those of you more experienced in this area, would you recommend we add an R/O to the kitchen sink? Actually we have a 2nd sink in the center island, and it has plenty of space underneath it as it is a single, small sink. That way it would be dedicated use sink, only for drinking water and meal prep.

In reading the above ^^ I think I have kind of been convinced to do just that.

Thanks for the guidance!

We have a UV light, sediment filter and charcoal filter. The UV light is changed every 12 mo and the filters every 5-6 months. Our ajijibe is quite large, about 12 ft x 12 ft and 10-12 feet deep. The intake is about 18 in off the bottom. The filters aren't real dirty when replaced. We don't have any problems drinking the water although we do drink bottled water mostly. H2Ole services our stuff. 

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:28 PM, crynoutloud said:

Why do you think it was the water that caused the infection?

Good point. There are a number of labs in Chapala, Ajijic, and Jocotepec that can test for bacteria but not much else. I don't think H2 OLE is in the water testing business.

Has anyone identified labs in Mexico which test water for heavy Metals, pesticides, solvents and volatile organic chemicals (VOCs)?

There are many US labs which do the above, and I do know of residents who have sent samples NOB.

A good lab will report on both presence and level of those present.

It is unfortunate, but reverse osmosis will not remove pesticides and VOCs.

1 hour ago, El Saltos said:

Tecno Aqua in West Ajijic.

They don't test water.

Since I don't know where you live here are 3 places I've had water tested;

Chapala on the north side of Morelos about 3 blacoks east of the traffic light.

Ajijic on the east side of Colon about 3 blocks down from the Carretera

Jocotepec on the south side of Juarez several blocks south of Hidalgo

They usually say something Labratorio on the sign.

MEXLC, there are a number of testing labs in Guadalajara that can test for biologicals and heavy metals.  They cannot test for pesticides and VOCs, the samples have to be sent to a lab in Mexico City for that.  If you would like a list of labs, send me a PM.  If you are getting water from a municipality (SIMAPA in the case of the Municipality of Chapala) they have the well water tested twice a year courtesy of Agua Jalisco (for free).

13 hours ago, MEXLC said:

Has anyone identified labs in Mexico which test water for heavy Metals, pesticides, solvents and volatile organic chemicals (VOCs)?

There are many US labs which do the above, and I do know of residents who have sent samples NOB.

A good lab will report on both presence and level of those present.

It is unfortunate, but reverse osmosis will not remove pesticides and VOCs.

I have a long list of the things that a lab in Guadalajara tests for. The tests are very expensive. 

Archived