Chapala.com Webboard

Cell phone internet

I am currently using Verizon for cell phone service with unlimited data. The account is registered to my US home address. I have a current Netflix account also registered to my US home address, had if for many years. I also have Comcast/Xfinity cable TV at the US home as well. If I tether a laptop to the Iphone6 personal hotspot to use Netflix, etc., in Ajijic, will I need a VPN?

Yes if you want US Netflix.   My LTE hotspot does about 40mb/s down and 8mb/s up.   Fastest internet by far in the area.   Not cheap though.   I pay T-Mobile $95USD for unlimited LTE but that includes only 14 Gigs of hotspot data.  I use telecable until speeds slow to unusable ( with too many subscribers ) then switch over to hotspot.   T-Mobile's normal $75 plan is unlimited data but hotspot is at 3G not LTE.

• 3 months later...

I get 4G in Ajijic and it is more than fast enough for streaming. As I remember my 3G was too. Because both Telmex and Telecable provide I much cheaper internet option, I have only used my iPhone as a hotspot when away from home where there was no other more economical option for checking email, etc.

Using my TelCel phone as a hotspot has been a lifesaver when TelMex Internet has gone down. It gets WAY faster speed than most TelMex users; I recorded 33 Mbps last time I used it. Problem is, your data gets consumed very, very quickly, because surfing the Web uses a lot.

On 4/29/2017 at 6:26 AM, LakeViews said:

Yes if you want US Netflix.   My LTE hotspot does about 40mb/s down and 8mb/s up.   Fastest internet by far in the area.   Not cheap though.   I pay T-Mobile $95USD for unlimited LTE but that includes only 14 Gigs of hotspot data.  I use telecable until speeds slow to unusable ( with too many subscribers ) then switch over to hotspot.   T-Mobile's normal $75 plan is unlimited data but hotspot is at 3G not LTE.

Thanks for the replies. Is there a cell phone option in Mexico that offers unlimited hot spot data? If so who and what costs?

Archived