Chapala.com Webboard

TORTILLAS

gringal

I'm stuck for a while on a no-bread, no wheat regime and am looking at using corn tortillas for enclosing sandwich type items.  Tried the ones at the Walmart bakery and yuck!  Since I'm often served tasty corn tortillas at restaurants, I'd like to know where to buy the best of them.  Suggestions very welcome!:P

I buy tortillas at the tortilleria on the east side of Calle Jesus Garcia in San Antonio, a little north from Calle Ramon Corona. Jesus Garcia is a north-south street east of the plaza one longer block. It's one way going up to the carretera, comes out between Panino's and Gaucheria restaurants. They are excellent.

That tortilla shop in San Antonio is great. A lot of the people who sell around here buy from them.

The fresh ones in Superlake are good. They may come from that same shop. They are in a Styrofoam cooler close to the prepackaged tortillas.

Here's a post from Kevin K from back in 2013 about the tortilleria I recommended:

On our morning walk through San Antonio we saw guys unloading big bags of corn at Tortilleria Tejeda, which is on Jesus Garcia just north of Ramon Corona on the East side of the street. It's an exceptinoally busy tortilleria with a sizable wholesale business, but I didn't know (and did not think to ask - shame on me) that they made their stuff from nixtamalized corn rather than the dreaded Maseca mix.

I've forgotten the name, but the tortilleria just southwest of the corner of Guadalupe Victoria and Galeana in Ajijic makes their tortillas from scratch rather than using Maseca like 90% plus of the places do. I personally have nothing against Maseca but some posters here don't like it. 

You're not likely to find wheat mixed with corn at any of these places not only because it's not traditional but wheat flour is also a lot more expensive (as evidenced by the price of 100% wheat tortillas). 

The best tortillas we have had are served at Mario's Restaurant in San Antonio. They are made by a woman with a shop nearby Mario's I think- you could ask them there where she is located. Every time we have eaten there we say "these tortillas are THE BEST!"

• 3 weeks later...

I like the tortillas from the shop directly across the street from Rustica's restaurant in central Ajijic on the carretera.  I will try the ones in San Antonio as my wife and I eat at Mario's once to twice a week.

Archived