Chapala.com Webboard

Dengue vaccine

cedros

Admittedly the print was small in this article, but my reading of it failed to turn up an indication why people over age 45 should not or cannot get the vaccination. Anyone know?

My doctor told me the only reason that age restriction, 9-45, was used is that because those were the people most susceptible.  

48 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Not sure of the age requirement but I do know that only people who have had Dengue once should get it. 

How do you know this? I don't know much about this but I have never heard of that.

1 hour ago, snowyela said:

Apparently the severity increases each time there is an infection, so I can see where it would be advisable.

I have read the same and the opposite so who knows. Apparently there are 6 different strains of Dengue 4 of which we have here.

Protection against mosquitoes is the most important and unfortunately some people like Cedros have neighbors who do not care. Check that there is no standing water in the garden cover up and wear mosquito repellent in the rainy season. I do not think vaccine is the answer yet or they would vaccinate everyone in the tierra caliente in Chiapas where  it is a nasty epitome of zika , chikungunya and dengue..Many people are complaining of pain months after they have had chikungunya.. and it is only a question of time before we get it just as bad here. At least we have screens and fans which help and we have let heat so we can cover up more than they can.

There are four types of dengue virus.... the vaccine does not cover all...BUT the vaccine is a SERIES OF THREE shots given over a one year period - the initial injection and two following at 6 month intervals.  Last information was that each shot was 1500 pesos...

Archived