Chapala.com Webboard

GAUCHERIA

gringal

This is one of my top favorites.  The food is fresh, perfectly cooked and beautifully presented.  Prices are reasonable and portions are very generous.  We had lunch there today and in spite of being temporarily on one of those diets where most of the things people like (like bread) are verboten, they put together a fine meal consisting of chicken, olive oil cooked veggies for esposo and hamburger steak for me. We went home happy.  Normally, they start customers with a fresh slice of garlic bread, chips, home made pico de gallo and other condiments. The hamburger steak is huge and well flavored;  we took half the chicken home for further use.  Now that the snowbirds have flown, we hope those who haven't tried it yet will do so.  You won't regret it.  This is a keeper.

Hours; 11:30 - 6:30 Mon.-Friday.  Location:  Eastern end of the strip mall across the side street on the way to Panino's.  Plenty of parking.  Used to be an Italian restaurant.

57 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

This place doesn't sound good for my diet.  However, since you are my most favorite restaurant reviewer, clearly we will have to give it a try.

Well, thanks for the kudos.  Right now, both of us are on a very restrictive diet (yeast in the guts) and what they have, you, too, can eat in good conscience:  1/4 or half chicken, beautifully barbequed and flavored; sirloin ground patty; vegetables cooked and swiped through olive oil, steak, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes and some excellent salads. The nice part owner is very accomodating about fixing a plate "your way" with a smile.

Best chicken sammich around, but not for the calorie conscious.  Also, the philly cheesesteak.

For those who aren't on a diet.......there's a few deliciously sinful desserts:  great flan and chocolate raspberry pie; all home made with super flaky crusts.

The chicken sandwich and their green salad are amazing.   The salad has more ingredients than any other salad I have found lakeside.   It includes your normal salad items then it includes things like sliced kiwi, pear, cheeses, nuts,dried cranberries, fresh raspberries, black berries...  lots of great things, I order it without the egg and olives.   For those that miss the old Gaucheria chicken sandwich, well this one is even better.    It's located near Panino east of super lake.  Enjoy!

This is one of our favorite restaurants as well. I enjoy their large and generous Uruguayan sandwich, but then I'm a big guy. I think it's the best sandwich on the Lakeside. My wife enjoys the arrechera, she says that it is the most tender that she has had on the Lakeside. The salad is wonderful too. I second that the chocolate/ raspberry pie is to live for!!!

Gringal has recapped the rest and I wholeheartedly agree.

• 6 months later...

They've been closed for a couple of months. At first there was a sign that there were issues with service that needed to be worked out. Then that paper came down and it's been closed and dark ever since. One of the few great ones around here bites the dust.

10 hours ago, Sea said:

They've been closed for a couple of months. At first there was a sign that there were issues with service that needed to be worked out. Then that paper came down and it's been closed and dark ever since. One of the few great ones around here bites the dust.

Loved the place; sorry it's gone.  When it was open, I couldn't see how they could make enough money at those prices to make it work.  Looks like it didn't.:010:

45 minutes ago, losgatos said:

I found their prices to be exceptionally reasonable considering the guality and savory  flavor of their offerings, certainly no more expensive than many places in Ajijic. Service was excellent too. They are missed. Oh well, it’s a moot point now.

What I was saying was their prices were way too low for the quantity and quality of what they were serving.  Hard to make a decent profit that way.

I'm especially going to miss her home made pies....to live for!  I hope they are doing well in whatever life is bringing them now.  Really nice people.

Archived