Chapala.com Webboard

river stone?

Looking for rounded stones to go under an outside water tap or two, where the grass doesn't grow and where it is muddy. My pref would be rounded river stones of about fist size or larger. Don't need more than I could carry! I seem to remember a place on the north side of the carretera in west Ajijic where I bought some, but I am blanking on that now--probably because they are not there any more, the way things are going with new construction. And I left my personal rock collection at the last house. So, anyone know where I can acquire some?

Do you remember where the Bagel Place used to be? The place you are looking for is opposite that. They may not have what you're looking for but will get it. I was looking for smaller gravel than they have... inside the "shed" are some plastic cups with various size gravel and I ordered from that selection. It pays to ask.

Another option is to call Roberto of Chapala Tree Services... his landscape partner, Luis, put a lot (of exactly the size you're looking) river stone at the bottom of a muddy bugambilia hedge on the property that we were renting. He can get it for you or tell you where he got it.

Or, you could put a really large plant saucer under the tap and fill it to overflowing with the bagged smaller river stone that is available at most plant nurseries.

Thought I saw bags of rocks/stones on the steps of Jara.  Options -  get a couple pieces of slate or buy one or 2 floor tiles. Might get them cheaper if they have chipped edges and aren't suitable to be used on a floor.

Been here 12 years and my memory is getting iffy, as the darn stores and restaurants keep moving. Dadgum! Will look at Jara. Ferret, could you pinpoint your suggested place more exactly? No, folks, slate and floor tiles are not that for which I seek! I am a stone person. I even have a small rock collection, which I brought down from NOB, believe it or not. Well, we all want what we want!!! I could always go out to my favored stream crossing in the boonies beyond Ixtlahuacan, but I am old and lazy and afraid of running into narcos. Alas, the latter did not bother me previously, but getting old had its effect!

Going west out of Ajijic. After the last lights, proceed up the hill slowly. It will be on your right at just about the top of the hill. Opposite, on your left, is a small strip plaza... where the Bagel Place used to be; where the Canterra Place used to be; where the Scandinavian Bakery used to be (but is now the Canadian Ginger Beer Place). If you get to Casa de Plomero, you've gone too far. Sand, Gravel, Stone etc.

Archived