Chapala.com Webboard

Real Estate Agents

bezerk

This forum is sponsored by a leading Real Estate Agency, Coldwell Banker Chapala Realty. Out of respect to them and to the rules of this board we try not to talk about the competition. So I guess I could mention several great agents from Coldwell Banker. But better yet you can check them and their listings out at www.chapala.com and look at their very professional webpage

11 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I'd certainly like to hear new ideas for marketing a home.Especially here. There is only so much a person can do, especially in this little burg.

Some of the realtors are finding video as a good way of maketing to a global, non-local audience. It seem to me, however, that quite a few don't understand how to use current technology effectively (IMO). This little "burg" as you put it, has a host of global sites that refer to it. There really isn't any new ideas out there. Just some people use the current ideas better than others.

Some new ideas are to appeal to former H1B U.S. visa holders, who can work remotely with their former employers. Another is new agers, spirtual based people, I just heard this, and do not know the name (will submit later), but a spiritual leader with a large, worldwide following just announced to his followers that he had found a beautiful, tranquil space in a small town in Mexico, where the houses and rents were very affordable. He encourage his followers to visit this spot and move there if they liked it - the small town is called Ajijic. We are talking about the influx of many thousands of people. Maybe find a good feng shui practitioner to preinspect homes?

Hey - at least they are not thousands of neo-nazis, and there is already a large population of spiritual people, of all types, already here. I am in a beautiful, tranquil spot - but I don't really know what it is like to live in Ajijic proper.

I guess there are good ones and the others who rely on chance meetings with friends at their local Church, bridge game etc., and do it for pin money. Whilst there many local Mexican agents, I think many US/CAD's feel more comfortable dealing with (albeit maybe less qualified  Gringos). Having said that I think the "Top Producer" is Mexican, what do I know.

Sadly there is still the perception that Mexico "has problems", or other wise I think folks would be beating down the doors of the Real Estate agents. Seriously where else can you get such a good deal, Climate, Cost of Living etc.  Yes there are "Cons" but if they do not worry or affect you, then MX is a great place.

For my experience agents do not follow up as much as I would like. There was a time when "they" would email you each month on the viewing or action status etc. Now with everyone having a smart phone etc it is a no brainer to make call backs quickly

I was in Miami recently and a realtor friend told me he goes to Spain (he is Spanish) to track down wealthy Spaniards to sell the $1/2 mill plus, apartments in Miami. 

Now maybe European or S American potential buyers do not  see Mexico as a safe haven for an investment of this sort, but you get the idea.

Incidentally if you do not speak Spanish in Miami you are in the minority. The days of Yiddish are gone

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Some new ideas are to appeal to former H1B U.S. visa holders, who can work remotely with their former employers. Another is new agers, spirtual based people, I just heard this, and do not know the name (will submit later), but a spiritual leader with a large, worldwide following just announced to his followers that he had found a beautiful, tranquil space in a small town in Mexico, where the houses and rents were very affordable. He encourage his followers to visit this spot and move there if they liked it - the small town is called Ajijic. We are talking about the influx of many thousands of people. Maybe find a good feng shui practitioner to preinspect homes?

I would like to know how many people can work remotely without drop outs and need to upload very large files? We are planning to move and the biggest issue we have is the internet.we need face to face time also and have special software and cant use skype. Even reading this board suggests that the internet is pre-historic and adding more people to the infrastructure would make it far worse. We have called regarding 3 homes and 2 out of 3 had mo internet and the other that said high speed was they say at max 5 mps on the download and maybe 1 mp on upload and was told that during the afternoon it was even slower. If I need to use municipal wifi then the addition of using a VPN would slow it down even more. Somehow we will figure this out.

I have a very good connection for Ajijic. When I recently  entered my Telmex telephone line ADSL modem I saw that the Maximum speed offered me is 12.5 mb/sec down by only 0.6mb/sec up. When doing speed tests I often get 8.5 down by 0.52 up.  That's pretty good for this part of Mexico. Now if I were in Guadalajara or other larger cities my download and my upload would be many times faster.   Although the speeds are slow my internet is usually quite reliable.

And of course if I were to use my Cellular data connection here in Ajijic, I am offered 4G which is also quite a bit faster, but so expensive I have not considered it.

Many folks have successfully used VPN for Netflix etc. Others still use satellite systems or in my case, some of each.

Real estate agents are like used car salespersons.   This is the house/ car   This is the motor/kitchen This is the open concept / sunroof.  Kick the tires /turn on the taps and flush the toilet.  See water.  Belive it or not.     

I just came from telmex and speeds for San Antonio and Ajijic supposedly are far lower than some other parts of the area.  There was a few other areas in same boat but cannot remember what I was told.  I just downgraded my plan due to this knowledge.  hmm.

There are good real estate agents and not so good , just like any profession. 

Competition makes a fair real estate agent or office better. I want go getter, knows how to show a homes best qualities, knows marketing, puts in effort and prices right. 

I have already heard from  a few go getters based on this post so that says something.

A go getter myself, I plan on doing interviews not taking just any person. 

Keeping up with the times and technology is part and parcel of the job. 

Thee spiritual folks may want outside Ajijic lol.   think it has seen its slow village times long past..my opinion. 

Anyway thanks everyone for input also messages.  it helps.

Well beserk I tried.   Talked to a couple of friends who are as you describe; unfortunately they had zero interest in SJC/El Limon.   I was reminded years ago when I asked about the areas from SJC and west and the reply was that I could get a lot of house for a much lower price but that I should never plan on selling.  

More ramblings...

Do I recall correctly that the initial real estate folks at Lakeside were;Richard Tingen, Kay  Burnham and Beverly Hunt. Interestingly all "foreign nationals". I do recall a couple of other Mexicans doing business but their name's escapes me. Seems like the "Foreign owned" business have never been overtaken.

If you look at the current 16? Real Estate companies, how many of the owner brokers are Mexican Nationals, 5 or 6, that's what,  30%? Anyone like to guess the proportion of "Foreigners vis MX national sales personnel?

I would suggest that, that split of the business really doesn't reflect well on the local MX nationals to get involved and be leaders in this industry 

El Cartero...thank you  for your efforts.  Exactly the info I want. If an agent is not interested in that area that is not agent for me as that is where the home is.  I understand fully and I do not want anyone who feels that way nor do they want my business, but there are agents interested in there as I have been contacted so thus nope it is not for everyone now.  One day I am sure it will be different as when I moved here San Antonio was nothing and now  it is a hot spot.

This is good as we can weed out the uninterested.  No one wants wasted time myself included.  ( would be really great if you were able to tell me the names via message so as to save me time, no other reason).  I hope any agent who does take on this sale will want to work that area.

I would look to list with a Mexican realtor out of Guadalajara.  El Limon isn't on the top of anyone's list for consideration but like you say things change. 

15 hours ago, michael2595 said:

I would like to know how many people can work remotely without drop outs and need to upload very large files? We are planning to move and the biggest issue we have is the internet.we need face to face time also and have special software and cant use skype. Even reading this board suggests that the internet is pre-historic and adding more people to the infrastructure would make it far worse. We have called regarding 3 homes and 2 out of 3 had mo internet and the other that said high speed was they say at max 5 mps on the download and maybe 1 mp on upload and was told that during the afternoon it was even slower. If I need to use municipal wifi then the addition of using a VPN would slow it down even more. Somehow we will figure this out.

As mentioned previously most of Chapala Haciendas and Las Brisas have recently upgraded internet. Download is 10 mps, up load is 2 mps, but most importantly it has been very stable and consistent. These are mostly middle class, Mexican suburban type homes (some with casitas though) built from the late 1970's to 1990's, and just like the Northern 'burbs you need a car to get around. Lots of places for rent. Socially, it is pretty inbred up here, people socialize via house parties, group games, BBQ's, rowdy sex orgies, etc. -rarely go into Chapala or Ajijic, especially at night. This is part of the reason that this area does not appeal to "snowbirds" or part time residents. It is very quiet here, an abundance of wildlife and green, oxygen rich breezes. My little knowledge of SJC and El Limon suggests similar, but many houses are more remote, they are more like "properties", more private, less suburban, and casual shopping is Jocotepec. I don't know about internet there. Give us a call when you are in the hood, can show you around without the realtor hyperbole.

Just thought of another source of buyers/renters. The President of Germany has made it very clear that if Britain leaves the EU they will be completely on their own when it comes to EU benefits, such shared medical coverage and free movement, working and business ownership between remaining EU countries. This is going to spook the many thousands of Brits who currently live in Spain, Portugal and France.

Canada, the U.S.A., and Australia does not welcome them as full time residents. Mexico does. They should check it out before there is change in Mexican politics, many predict that AMLO (Obrador) will be the next President of Mexico.

I do not consider the Economist to be especially political. This article about AMLO is fairly fact based, and a reminder that Mexican elections are coming up next year, 2018.

http://www.economist.com/news/americas/21718906-mexico-city-we-have-problem-mexicos-populist-would-be-president

Archived