Chapala.com Webboard

What can be done about standing water next door

cedros

A next door neighbour lives in Guadalajara and visits his local house maybe once a week. He has an outdoor pool, hottub, fountain and a mud/water pond. When he isn't here water is left standing in these places so I get a lot of mosquitos visiting me in my yard and house. There is no other standing water in the area. Last year I got Dengue fever and don't want it again. The neighbour doesn't speak English and is quite belligerent and inconsiderate (lots of noise besides the standing water he often blocks the street, etc.). I got a facilator in Jocotepec to contact the Civil Protection in Jocotepec about these mosquito breeding places. After several calls and several weeks 2 firemen and their boss showed up. The owner was there. I showed the firemen the standing water with mosquito larvae and their boss chatted with the owner (did they make a deal?) but nothing came of it. The mosquito breeding season is going to start soon. What can I do? 

I bought some a few years ago from Amazon and had them muled down, but they will ship them to Mexico now (free w/$65 order). I did a cursory search in lakeside stores and didn't find them -- then --- maybe someone has them now.

This is what I use:
https://www.amazon.com/Summit-185502-20-Pack-Mosquito-Dunk/dp/B0002568YA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493127548&sr=8-1&keywords=mosquito+dunk

Maybe you can ask him to ask a garner to keep the fountain filled with fresh water and have him put dunks in the mud pond. The pool or the hot tub should not have mosquito larvae in the water if they are chlorinated.. They could also put chlorine in the fountain... Can they put goldfish in the mud pond, they will eat the larvae

I think we need to read the OP more often before responding with suggestions. Here's what he is confronted with:

" The neighbour doesn't speak English and is quite belligerent and inconsiderate (lots of noise besides the standing water he often blocks the street, etc.)."  He mentions that there is also a wall, so it's not like he has legal access to the property.

This is not a man you can get cooperation from willingly.  I hope our OP can find an effective solution.

2 hours ago, snowyela said:

Maybe approach the neighbor an explain the situation and they'll give you a key to get in? (Or get someone with a drone to drop some in) ha ha.

I have approached the neighbour several times but he doesn't care. He often neglects to pay his staff so they turn over a lot. I have talked to the last 3 gardeners about it. I think there is a new one again. A few years back this neighbour cut and then burned the grass on the lower part of his large lot. The wind blew the sparks onto the plastic solar panels that heat my pool. They then leaked so I had to replace them all. He says he will warn me in advance next time so I can cover my panels with tarps or hose them down but I don't trust him.  

Recentley a dump truck delivering sand to his place left us without power for a day and then we had to pay for CFE to come and fix it.

I don't want a trespassing charge from this neighbour but I'm wondering if I should give him a legal warning. 

10 minutes ago, cedros said:

I have approached the neighbour several times but he doesn't care. He often neglects to pay his staff so they turn over a lot. I have talked to the last 3 gardeners about it. I think there is a new one again. A few years back this neighbour cut and then burned the grass on the lower part of his large lot. The wind blew the sparks onto the plastic solar panels that heat my pool. They then leaked so I had to replace them all. He says he will warn me in advance next time so I can cover my panels with tarps or hose them down but I don't trust him.  

Recentley a dump truck delivering sand to his place left us without power for a day and then we had to pay for CFE to come and fix it.

I don't want a trespassing charge from this neighbour but I'm wondering if I should give him a legal warning. 

I think that your best plan would be to invest in some legal advice at this point.  The fact that you got dengue fever should weigh in your favor.  You may have more options than you realize.  Best of luck. 

Yes best of luck with the neighbor from Hell.

How about offering to pay his gardener with your own money and increase his pay a bit to take care of all that standing water. The cheap SOB might just go for it. Then maybe find a little extra work for him and make him a good buddy. Maybe a longshot but if a lawyer wants big bucks to solve your problem......

Next step is to sell and move.

I suggest that you chat with the gardener and see if he needs another client; YOU.

If he works for you in your garden, you will be in a position to give him some dunks, chlorine tablets or even oil in a flask, along with a small propina that will insure that he uses them regularly during his work next door. 

At the moment there may  not be a gardener. I have befriended ones in the past but then they end up quiting as the owner doesn't pay them. I think he has been through 7 gardeners in 8 years but I will try again.

The Federal Secretaria de Salud sanatation and center for disease control and immunization  office in Guadalajara has forms you can fill out and hand into them which might get an inspector out there to view the problem área if they think it is important enough.

I like Alan's suggestion, but also wasn't the local D.I.F. involved with this a couple of years ago? They were handing out BT bags to anybody who asks, they may do inspections. We allowed them to inspect many times in Puerto Vallarta. I'm sure it was D.I.F. If your Spanish is not strong enough, you may have to hire a facilitator - which will be a lot less than a lawyer.

edit: I see you already have a facilitator, maybe keep at it -the squeaky wheel gets the grease. There has to be a D.I.F. in Jocotepec.

10 hours ago, cedros said:

That would not be easy to do as there is a wall. Where do you get mosquito dunks?

Neighbor not home, ladder for wall, another ladder (light) for other side of wall?

I've figured out several ways to get in but it would be so embarassing to get caught. Someone who works or lives nearby could see me from across the small valley. I think only one aluminum ladder is necessary. Once you get on top of the wall you pull the ladder up and lower it to the inside. I hate the thought I getting a lawyer involved. The owner was supposed to be there today and I had given the construction workers there a message to pass on but he didn't contact me.

4 hours ago, cedros said:

I've figured out several ways to get in but it would be so embarassing to get caught. Someone who works or lives nearby could see me from across the small valley. I think only one aluminum ladder is necessary. Once you get on top of the wall you pull the ladder up and lower it to the inside. I hate the thought I getting a lawyer involved. The owner was supposed to be there today and I had given the construction workers there a message to pass on but he didn't contact me.

I was wondering if someone could see you.  Cover of darkness, adds mystery and danger to the deed.  What could the owner do? Couldn`t prove you had scaled his wall.

Another idea, put the ladder up to the wall, estimate the distance (and wind speed ;)) to the pool and practice your aim.  If too far for lobbing, put a dunk in a cheesecloth bag with a stone and pretend you`re David.  Can you find a tube (long, more distance) large enough for a dunk?

Archived