Chapala.com Webboard

Own a Garmin GPS unit?

I have 2 Garmin GPS units, a Nuvi 455W and Nuvi 2597LMT. I wanted to update the map database on both units plus my 2 laptops. Last year I had problems trying to download the map so gave up. I read on the forum I wasn’t the only one and someone made the comment that Telmex didn't permit you to download large files, or something to that effect. Today I thought about it and why shouldn’t I be able to do it as I am paying for unlimited internet. I used Garmin Express to download and install the latest map on one laptop using the 455W which I had connected. Didn't have a problem so downloaded and installed the map on the unit itself. This is an old unit and no longer supported by Garmin so I was really surprised I was able to do this. I connected my 2597LMT unit to the laptop and was able to download and install the map to this one which I use as it has voice recognition. I then connected the 455W to my other laptop to download the map database. I use both BaseCamp and Mapsource on my laptops to mark my camps, dump stations and points of interest as I travel. I used Open Street to download the Central America countries to both my laptops last year. I really don't care for BaseCamp and love Mapsource as it is easier to use. And, I need my morning mocha fix as I travel and the GPS is great for finding a Starbucks, or a Walmart to stay at for the night. Anyway, just wanted to let other Garmin users know they can update their GPS units. Ron

wow, thanks Ron.  We have a Garmin GPS with Mexico maps and lately it has been wrong so i was figuring i need to update it.  Well, i was told i had to contact Garmin and pay $100US to do that.  But others have said i can do it myself....i am not techno savvy so I have not done it.  Thank you for the encouragement.  I am going to try it.  It sounds like you have a RV.?  Do you think an RV park would do well at Lakeside?  Just curious

52 minutes ago, sputnik said:

wow, thanks Ron.  We have a Garmin GPS with Mexico maps and lately it has been wrong so i was figuring i need to update it.  Well, i was told i had to contact Garmin and pay $100US to do that.  But others have said i can do it myself....i am not techno savvy so I have not done it.  Thank you for the encouragement.  I am going to try it.  It sounds like you have a RV.?  Do you think an RV park would do well at Lakeside?  Just curious

Updating a Garmin is really easy, just download Garmin Express from the Garmin website, install it on your computer. Open the program, plug in your GPS and Garmin Express will find it.  It will ask you if you want to check for updates, click yes and if there are updates available it wil ask you if you want to install the updates if you click "yes" it will downloaded them and update your GPS, with the slow internet here lt takes awhile.

There is a new RV park at Lakeside, across from Superlake. It opened last March..the entrance is across from EL  Parque, don't have the contact info but I have friends who have reserved a spot for September.

The 455W is an old unit and I had to pay extra for the Mexico map when I bought it. Seems Garmin has changed their attitude with all the free maps available on the internet. When I downloaded the map today I also received the Mexico map for free. As a FYI, I had to use a 4G SD card on the 455W for the map and the newer unit, 2597LMT, has enough disk space so the map downloaded to the unit itself. Anyway the new unit doesn't have a SD card slot so I would have to use the old unit when I go to Central America again. When you download a map to your unit, Garmin Express will let you know if you have enough disk space, and if not, to insert a SD card. I haven't checked out the newer GPS units to see if they have SD or micro SD slots. Don't need a new one. If you need help, just holler. BTW, today’s map is City Navigator North America NT 2018.10 Ron

Forgot to add that I think a RV park will do well here. On another web forum people are lining up to use the one being built in Ajijic. I built a place for my RV in 2007, 2 sites with full hookups, 30-50 AMP service, water and dump pipe. Visitors come to stay now and then and love it here. Ron

ok thank you so much everyone for all the world of information...this is so different from when i was young and had to go to the nearest library and who know if you could find the information we needed....thanks about the rv park.  I was curious if 50 amp were even available....

16 hours ago, sputnik said:

ok thank you so much everyone for all the world of information...this is so different from when i was young and had to go to the nearest library and who know if you could find the information we needed....thanks about the rv park.  I was curious if 50 amp were even available....

If you need the contact info for the new RV park I can get it from friends who have reserved a site, I do recall them saying that most of the site were taken.. But they may have added more since then...

17 hours ago, giltner68 said:

About 3 years ago I did an update on US maps and the previous maps knew where my uncles house in Denver was, but the new one has no idea? - $50 for nothing.

I would have reinstalled the update, if that didn't work I would have called Garmin support. I was really surprised at their customer service even though my unit was out of warranty they were of great help...

I have one on my moto and I update it very frequently.  It still has many errors in the Mexican maps.  You need to have a good idea of where you are going and not rely only on this device here.

Interestingly, on a moto trip to NEW Mexico last year the thing made a number of big errors as well.  For example, labeling roads as unpaved that have been paved for 40 years or more.

Archived