Chapala.com Webboard

cost of living

Harry, it depends on how you shop.

If you stay out of the "gringo places", shop the smaller groceries and "Buy Mexican", you can save 1/3 over shopping unwisely.

I live really well on about $800 a month (US) (after rent) including a car and an expensive smoking habit.  I know people that live on a lot less 

Restaurant food is cheaper, groceries are about the same as the US unless you shop in the smaller places.

It has changed some over the past decade, but:

If a place has a cash register with a tape; it is one price

a cash register with NO tape:  cheaper

No cash register:  Cheaper still

Local market: Cheaper

Back of a truck: even cheaper

There can be a 50% difference......

Numbeo.com has a very accurate cost of living comparison calculator.

Here is the link for Canada vs. Mexico, expressed in Canadian dollars.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Mexico&country2=Canada&displayCurrency=CAD

`you can switch to compare the US and US dollars, or use the drop down and compare costs for specific cities in each country (Ajijic is included)

The best 'general' answer is: "However much you have available, that is what it is going to cost" 

Keep in mind the current exchange rate vs. historic exchange rates. 

When we started coming to MX in 2007, the exchange MX peso to USD was around 10:1

When we lived here fulltime 2008 thru 2012, the exchange rate ran between 15:1 and 12.5:1

Today the exchange rate is 18.8:1 (and it was north of 21:1 at times in the past year).

If the peso strengthens, to those of us using USD, our buying power will be diminished.  

US citizens who retired to Spain in the late 1990s, found the Euro pretty close to par with the USD.  For much of the 2000's, up until fairly recently, the exchange rate Euro:USD was often north of 1.40:1.  It is now again almost at par at 1.07:1.  

There is really no answer to your question. What you might think is "indispensable" I might never consider buying, or vice-versa. What do you like / not like to eat -- in-home and out? What kind of portion sizes? And so on and so on.......

3 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I stand corrected on the date, thanks. 

However, fluctuations in exchange rates for expats are still a consideration.  

Euro coins and banknotes did not go into circulation in Spain until that date but Spain was effectively on the euro since several years earlier. The peseta had been frozen in relation to other euro zone currencies, and all prices were shown in both pesetas and euros. 

Also depends on how much weed you smoke.

Not that I advocate usage, or know from personal experience, but $15 USD

per ounce down here for really good quality compared to whatever you're paying up north.

Of course, you can also go the cheap route and grow your own.

9 minutes ago, puro guero said:

Also depends on how much weed you smoke.

Not that I advocate usage, or know from personal experience, but $15 USD

per ounce down here for really good quality compared to whatever you're paying up north.

Of course, you can also go the cheap route and grow your own.

I think many responders on this site could benefits by lighting up a fatty. LOL

To get a more meaningful answer, the OP could provide more details about his/their lifestyle, likes, etc.  The average breakfast out here is about $100p per per, lunch about $150p per per and dinner is all over the map but could average $400-$500 per couple. You can double those figures in Guadalajara.

I'm cheap. I won't go for lunch that costs more than 55p for the main part. Drinks are always extra. And there are still plenty of places left that serve Mexican food for that price or less. Unless you don't like Mexican food... then, ahem.

I live in Chapala on, including rent and utils, $700 per month.  My housekeeper once a week cooks most of the food I eat for the week , I rarely go out for food, I don`t drink alcohol.  My main cost going out is coffee which is probably a $1,000p a month habit. I buy almost everything I eat and use in Chapala. Now, if I lived in Ajijic, that $700 would be at least $1,400 or maybe more.

Archived