Chapala.com Webboard

Info on TV Scout Antenna?

I just saw an ad on the internet for a product called TV Scout Antenna that promises about 90 cable channels for free for a price of around $30 USD as a one time payment.  They say that it has a range of 30 miles from the point of broadcast, presumably in larger cities around the world.  They do claim to be selling these antennae around the world.  Question....Does anyone Lakeside have any experience with this product?  Does it broadcast properly from, let´s say, Guadalajara to Lakeside?  BTW, they claim that it is 100% legal since all cable companies are also required to broadcast over the airwaves for free.  So, they say, the cable companies send out a very weak or otherwise inaccessible signal that their product knows how to download directly to your TV gratis.  Any further info and experience with this product would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

It sounds to good to be true. And I think they were talking about the US not Mexico. I would never be the first to buy such an item. Several techies were talking about this and said that there was no bandwidth available at the lower frequencies the adv. says the product uses to provide room for the 90 or so channels advertised in this Facebook post.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not purchase any of the flat antenna's as they are not good unless you are sitting right under the tv tower.  I bought a $30 antenna and have it sitting on top of a hutch in my living room and it picks up about 20 channels from the repeater tv antenna's.   You will never get hundreds of channels (bunch of crock or 90 percent of them are foreign and you can't understand)  Save your money and go to home depot and get an antenna and try and if does not work take back.

For what it's worth

I have one of these on a small TV in my California house. From that house I have an unobstructed view of the TV towers about five miles away so It is just about optimal conditions for an over-the-air antenna. This is the modern equivalent of Rabbit Ears and is just as simple to attach to the TV. It is about the size of a typical paperback book, made of very flexible plastic and not much thicker than a sheet of paper. I was able to scan 44 channels of which about a dozen were interesting enough to keep.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

HI I have purchased one of these TV scout antenna, and I am very happy with it,  the property that it is in as mountains on 3 sides  and the sea on the 4th side. It as given me 100 channels  with no interference and good picture and sound. I would recommend The TV scout to anyone who was thinking of buying one

But where are you Dawn Appleton? Here around the shores of lake Chapala there are almost no TV towers close enough to provided us with TV programming, be it digital or old fashioned analog

Good evening from halifax,ns. I paid for a couple of those pieces of crap,antennas.Nothing worked,no tv programming. I tried to get a response from the a-holes,who claim this thing was a work of art. I dismantled one of the units only to find nothing but total garbage.Pic to show how it's made.This so called antenna is made of the following parts.

Part -1- A piece of speaker wire with a cable connector at one end, The other end has two terminals for two tiny screws.

Part -2-What looks to be a sensor of some sort just has two very thin metal pieces for the two screws to be connected to.

Part-3-The plastic square is just that, There's no TV pickup sensors in this sheet of plastic. Pic to follow,

20170804_185502.jpg

20170804_185535.jpg

20170804_185545.jpg

20170804_185559.jpg

20170804_185623.jpg

This sounds arrogant, but being a techie, I have played around with antennas in Seattle where I live up high on a hill on the 19th floor of a 33 story building and with the digital equivalent of rabbit ears where one can get 45 to 55 channels only some of which are interesting.

Down here lakeside using a high gain Yagi antenna on a power rotator the last time I tried I had 3 or 4 channels. With digital transmission and digital receivers I might receive a few more, but nothing worth wasting my time trying to pick up.

To me this TV Scout antenna looked like a scam and that is why I posted earlier that it sounded to good to be true, and that I would never be the first to buy such a thing.

On 5/8/2017 at 5:10 PM, On2wheels9 said:

Just use a paper clip i use it its the best i ever used stick in coix cable get 20 channels 

I live about 1/4 mile from the Televisa repeater here in PV with clear line of sight. I can confirm a paperclip brings in a perfectly clear picture. I already have SKY so don't need it but tried it and it does work.

12 hours ago, johanson said:

This sounds arrogant, but being a techie, I have played around with antennas in Seattle where I live up high on a hill on the 19th floor of a 33 story building and with the digital equivalent of rabbit ears where one can get 45 to 55 channels only some of which are interesting.

Down here lakeside using a high gain Yagi antenna on a power rotator the last time I tried I had 3 or 4 channels. With digital transmission and digital receivers I might receive a few more, but nothing worth wasting my time trying to pick up.

To me this TV Scout antenna looked like a scam and that is why I posted earlier that it sounded to good to be true, and that I would never be the first to buy such a thing.

Pete, from your house with 2461M of 1 1/2" coax you should be able to put your yagi antenna on top of the hill where it can see Guadalajara and do quite well.

as soon as I win the lottery, I am thinking of building a cable car to the top of the hill. And gosh with this Global cooling the politicians are talking about there might be snow up there some day. And while I am at it, I could put my yagi antenna on the top and get rid of all of my satellite dishes in the back yard

Archived