Chapala.com Webboard

DRONES

asisis

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.mcginnislaw.com/images/uploads/news/Introduction_to_Mexican_Drone_Regulations__Exhibit.pdf

If it is under 2kg and recreational then no permit needed and not many restrictions beyond flying in daytime between 150 - 400 feet in altitude.  Drones are prohibited from flying within 5 miles of an airport and can't fly over ancient ruins.  

Out of curiosity, do you get irritated when ultralights fly over?   How about airplanes, helicopters and automobile traffic?   What makes a drone different?

Just curious--where are you? We are out west of Ajijic and have not had drones flying over this year, so far as we have seen--lately, just very occasional small planes along the Lake, presumably from the small airfield out beyond Chapala.

I was walking in West Ajijic  past Lucerna along the lake this morning and there was a drone right above our heads so they do get to West Ajijic for sure.. I first thought we were going to be attacked by bees.. and it was a whole lot lower than 150 m.

Most cameras on consumer drones are wide angle lenses made for sweeping vista shots not for zooming into anyone's business.   Shooting a drone out of the air because it is a percieved invasion of privacy is misguided on many levels.   A. It's not watching you.  B.  Shooting someone else's property is a crime  C. Shooting down a flying object has the ability to harm someone.  D.  Shooting someone else's property may lead to escalated conflict and perhaps returned fire.    Destroying someone's property with a slingshot is also an ill conceived plan.  But yeah shooting someone's property is so funny... ha ha ha.   sigh.   

What I perceive is that many old people are afraid of new technology.  Is a drone any louder than a leaf blower, lawn mower, or car?   Is drone imagery any more invasion of privacy than an image from a satellite?  No, I am not the drone pilot in question, although I did just purchase a mavic pro.  It is one of the best movie making tools ever made...   Or apparently an object of fear...

How good are you at aiming a cohete? They are old technology, but might be effective. Of course, you would “just be celebrating“, and that drone came by to look.......:o

We used to have a lot more noise from the ultralights flying overhead in the past. The only time I have heard a drone fly around my home, was when a friend came by and made a 104 second video of my home and put it on youtube as a present. It was really cool. If you want to get board looking at someone else's house on you tube, go to the youtube home page, which is www.youtube.com and enter       casa johanson Ajijic Mexico          in the search bar and perhaps be board watching the video.

I felt honored that he did this for me. I sure don't hear that many ultralights these days, although pending permission there will be an air show in Chapala this April 30th according to the Guadalajara Reporter

1 hour ago, LakeViews said:

Most cameras on consumer drones are wide angle lenses made for sweeping vista shots not for zooming into anyone's business.   Shooting a drone out of the air because it is a percieved invasion of privacy is misguided on many levels.   A. It's not watching you.  B.  Shooting someone else's property is a crime  C. Shooting down a flying object has the ability to harm someone.  D.  Shooting someone else's property may lead to escalated conflict and perhaps returned fire.    Destroying someone's property with a slingshot is also an ill conceived plan.  But yeah shooting someone's property is so funny... ha ha ha.   sigh.   

What I perceive is that many old people are afraid of new technology.  Is a drone any louder than a leaf blower, lawn mower, or car?   Is drone imagery any more invasion of privacy than an image from a satellite?  No, I am not the drone pilot in question, although I did just purchase a mavic pro.  It is one of the best movie making tools ever made...   Or apparently an object of fear...

Oh, please, can the "ageism"!  It's not about the noise but the potential invasion of privacy.  If a young, middle aged or old person wants to sunbathe nekkid in their back yard, they should have the right to do so without somebody else doing a photo passover.  What little privacy we have left should be preserved.

You weren't planning to use this marvelous movie making tool to invade anyone's privacy, were you?  'Course not.:ph34r:

Gringal just get a sling shot and that will take care of it..I agree I do not like them  above my head  and if they hover over us in the garden , I will get the slingshot out.. I f a sling shot gets them they are flying too low. Tough luck on them.

The one flying over my house was quite far up as it was trying to get the whole house and property and I don't think you could have hit it with  sling shot, Now if one were up close taking pictures through windows etc., it would be close and you could hit it with a sling shot.

I have another friend who flies Drones as a sport who was flying his drone over the lake and was flying it back to where he was when someone with apparently a shotgun who owned the large waterfront property he was flying over to bring his drone back home who actually shot the guys drone down.

Do ultralights, planes, helicopters, hang gliders, and satellites have the same potential as a drone to take photographs?    Yes.   So why single out drones as OK to shoot down?   When is it OK to destroy another's property?    I have zero intent on invading anyone's privacy when flying.   So far what I hear is that there is a percieved intrusion of privacy and that this intrusion then justifies the destrustion of someone else's property according to a few minds here.   I happen to disagree.

Is there any proof of this intrusion of privacy?  Or is this a percieved intrusion?   I assume it is only a percieved intrusion.   So really you folks are talking about destroying someone else's property out of sheer paranoia.   No one wants to see a shriveled gringo lying in their backyard, that's not the point.   We are flying to take sweeping vistas of the beautiful geography and architecture of the area.  Drones are a great new tool for cinematography.    Treating drones with disdain, fear and outright violence is interesting psychology and deserves analysis.   Thinking that one's property rights allows the destrustion of someone else's property is a really odd stance and also deserves analysis.

These drones in current technology are noise pollution. They sound like overhead weed whackers. I think that was the main point of the OP's objections. I have the right to at least try to eliminate annoying noise pollution intruding into my private living space. Normally a .410 shotgun would do the trick, but that is too noisy. A .22 calibre air rifle, with a scope, especially a night scope, would be perfect. The droners will just have to find another area to play, somewhere they don't annoy private citizens. This is not just a "senior" issue - Many Mexican families are stressed by someone spying on and photographing their young ones. Droners get people's hackles up - enjoy your gap in legality while you can, because I gaurantee you it will be gone in a very short time.

So do you recommend that I shoot at weed whackers and ultralights too?  Is that normal legal behavior?

Thinking that one has the right to control noise by shooting someone else's property is sadly mistaken.   It points to the real problem in this arena, paranoia.  The vast majority of drones have ZERO interest in you.  Drones are likely filming landscapes and architecture.   Just because a drone is overhead, it is unlikely that The camera is pointed at you.  People do not own the airspace above their property and have no right to destroy things that fly above their property.   I am annoyed by quite a few things but I do not shoot them.    An ultralight guy flew by my home 4 times yesterday.   I watched and smiled despite the noise.   I don't get my gun.  This attitude of I don't like something therefore I am going to shoot and destroy it is an intense reaction to a harmless situation that is misinterpreted.  It points to paranoia, anger and control issues.  

Chillin: Gap in legality?  Drones are legal and regulated by Mexico's Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil (DGAC).  You can "guarantee" me what the Mexican government will do in the future?   Wow, a clairvoyant, impressive.

Gringal:  age affects many things but you are welcome to disagree.   Perhaps look at the statistical incidence of dementia by age to understand my point.  Biological systems wear down with time and this allows disease to set in.   The concept that age makes no difference in biology or psychology is interesting psychology in of itself.

I clearly see that carrying on a rational conversation here about Drones is a waste of my time.   

IMG_6766.GIF

21 minutes ago, snowyela said:

Another subject literally beaten to death just by posting a harmless topic imho.

this is not a harmless topic but an actual invation of privacy that is being actively promoted by someone who has an interest in continueing flying over peoples property and taking videos. the idea that since you didn't pay anything for your privacy , it must be worthless is absurd--just try buying it back after you've lost it. and also the slippery slope of conceding your rights to the peaceful enjoyment of your property to anyone who has the whim to invade your space. what's next? do we draw a line now, or wait until the info gleaned from such flights is sold to corporations, or when its okay to arm the drones? i'm gonna start practicing with my slingshot...

Who is promoting invading privacy?   Not me.   People do not own airspace.  You might think you own the air, but you don't.   Do satellites, airplanes, ultralights, hangliders, and helicopters invade your privacy too?   Perhaps you should shoot everything?

We had a very large family ensconced over Semana Santa in houses on the large estate.  They were noisy and noisier at all hours.  No music though which was so unusual.  However twice during the two weeks a big drone landed in our yard - once just missing the pool.  Our cats were all excited.  Each time a teenage boy and an adult male came to the door and politiely apologized and asked to retrieve the drone. 

I never gave my privacy a thought. Why, because the drones were not hoovering outside my windows they were skirting past the garden and one hit a branch of bouganvillea sticking up way above the rest of the plant and the second time the drone hit the edge of a large palm leaf that had been blown by an unexpected gust of wind.

51 minutes ago, LakeViews said:

Who is promoting invading privacy?   Not me.   People do not own airspace.  You might think you own the air, but you don't.   Do satellites, airplanes, ultralights, hangliders, and helicopters invade your privacy too?   Perhaps you should shoot everything?

Well there are rules for aircraft that drones should also follow:

(A) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(B) Over congested areas -Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open-air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

It will eventually bee deteremined by legislation how high above your property you own/control.

While we all know this isn't the US, none the less, there is a Supreme Court decision from back in 2013 http://www.georgesteinmetz.com/ that suggests an 80 to 500' right to airspace above your property.   Similarly, upon acquiring the paperwork, you can build a second for third story above a current dwelling so must be my space.  

I think there are regulations in most places to separate drones from aircraft. Drones must not be flown close to airports or high enough to be at the lowest aircraft altitudes. Still, they should not be flown too low over private property; say 150 ft. minimum.  Lower than that and they may be fair game for slingshot or archery practice, etc.

Archived