Chapala.com Webboard

2nd "Annual" Gathering of TelMex Speeds

Las Salvias on Telmex $389 package. Interesting results.

Speedtest: 4.73 down .63 up

Speedof.me: 5.11 down ,63 up

fast.com: 4.2 down

As suggested, I reset the Technicolor modem using the pinhole button and retested.

Speedtest 8.4 down .63 up

Speedof.me 8.82 down .66 up

fast.com 8.0 down.

Results after the reset were similar to last year. For grins I changed to the $599 package last year and got 9mb down. The gain wasn't worth it so I went back to the base package.

Another house on Lazaro Cardenas in upper Ajiic is getting consistent 10mb down with the $389 package. Same speed as last year.

Telecable is 10.5mb down 2.11 up on speedtest, 9.8 on fast.com but speedof.me gave weird results of 2mb down but the same 2mb up. Downloads using Telecable run a pretty constant 1.2mb per second consistent with a 10mb connection.

I didn't participate in this last year, but my results currently (for future reference)...

I ran speedtest four times to get a range, in succession, starting at 8:30 pm on Sunday, April 23. They were (down/up):

7.00 / 0.49

10.13 / 0.48

10.25 / 0.54

9.92 / 0.52

For reference, I am located at the very west edge of Ajijic, just above the carreterra, Los Sabinos condo.

Again, anyone who has experience a slowdown shoud first factory reset the modem, like John Shrall, which immediately boosted his speed. If that doesn't work, understand that once you get a certain speed, you are always capable of getting that speed, so other factors are at play, and you should call TelMex support in Mexico City at 01-800-123-222.

No surprises so far. Areas that show an increase in the last year: Chapala Haciendas and Brisas (the big ones, due to the new infrastructure), Rancho de Oro, Chapala centro, San Antonio east (but just by a shade).

However, we need more reports that compare with last year; most of our current posts don't have that, so I can't really tell much.

Moving to Roca Azul in Jocotepec on Monday. Curious about the speeds there. Here in the jungle canopy of El Nogalito (near Puerto Vallarta) we can't get more that .25Mbps at times - so your numbers look great. Eye roll! In Bucerias I was getting 80Mbps download - it was as good as i was getting in Oregon. So - it's possible! :) 

Hey Aquaponiscsman;  Whose your carrier? I sure hope it's Telmex. I am guessing with that great upload speed  that you might have Telecable (AKA IZZI) and not Telmex.

If that is Telmex, you have a great download to upload ration. With my Telmex I regularly get almost 0.5 up by 10 down That's a ratio of about 20 to 1

Your ration is more like 8 to 1

Not likely, I don't think, considering Telecable's extremely poor service lately. My down with TelMex is 40; my upload is 10. Yes, it's true: my upload speed is greater than many download speeds. I consider myself to be very lucky.

38 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Not likely, I don't think, considering Telecable's extremely poor service lately. My down with TelMex is 40; my upload is 10. Yes, it's true: my upload speed is greater than many download speeds. I consider myself to be very lucky.

About 2.5 years ago we were living in Old Town PV and Telmex came in with fiber optic and gave us a new modem. Our speed was just about what CG has now. As they built out it dropped slowly until it was around 10/1. Way up here on the cerro that is what we are also getting, no fiber optic yet here. Hope you fare better than we did.

Archived