Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala Internet connectivity - intermittent at times

elpind

Has anybody been having problems with their internet connection in Chapala Centro? I live just two blocks from the servers on Morelos   I am getting great speeds most of the time (I have the up to 40mb package) but the outages I am experiencing are becoming quite annoying.  I have called telmex several times but the problem remains.  The outages are mostly mid to late afternoon, good connectivity in the mornings and evenings. The outages usually correct themselves within minutes.   I am using the connection for normal computer type operations (email, surfing, etc.), netflix and streaming tv.  Streaming tv and netflix works great at night.   All of this tends to make me think the server is just overloaded during the afternoon. 

If it is generally at the same time in the afternoon, could it be the time of the day when the sun is shining upon the junction box and the expansion of the wires is causing brief disconnects?  Stranger things have happened. 

When we first had service in that neighborhood, on Lopez Cotilla, we had a similar situation and I identified it as loose connections being the only cause.  A conversation with the folks in Mexico city resulted in two tecnicos being sent to visit.  All our connections at the house were new and tight all the way to the pole. They checked all the way to the junction box at the street and then on to the Telmex location on Morelos.  For the next ten years, we had perfect service with no interruptions.

They have to be encouraged to twist those wires more tightly.

Been horrible the past few weeks with speeds under 1mb even though I should get 20.  We make reports but they have done little except send 2 modem replacements that havent done anything to increase reliability or speed. 

I live is Las Redes, Chapala. My internet has really slowed down in the last few weeks, sometimes agonizingly so. (I have had the speed test time out on me.) I also have intermittent disconnects that usually last only a few seconds or couple of minutes at most. This seems to happen mostly in the mornings with afternoons being better and evenings having few to no problems.

The lines to Guadalajara can't handle the amount of Internet traffic in the area.   The internet is vastly oversubscribed for the infrastructure here.   It happens around this time of year with the influx of people.  I'm about ready to get rid of Telecable.    They axed the 3 main English networks from their tv package and can't deliver adequate internet speed.    Is Telmex slow now too?

La Canacinta--west of Ajijic near the Oxxo/Pemex, south of carretera toward the Lake:

Ping 22 ms

download 5.03 Mbps

upload 0.68 Mbps

No difference noticed compared to last year, but I don't have last year's figures.

In Chapala Centro (6 blocks northeast from the plaza), 10 mbps consistently since December.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news. The speedtest.net app is allowing us to share our speeds again rather than just posting numbers that we can fib about. Here is an example

6268937916.png

or try changing servers and get an even better or worse result;

6269032575.png

Archived