Chapala.com Webboard

Bees nest removal

If it is not too high up to reach, wait until late evening when they are dormant. Open a large plastic garbage bag and slip it up over the nest and quickly hold it shut tight around the branch it is on, then cut the branch right above the bag and tie the bag shut. If it is a really large branch, this of course won't work, but I have done this quite a few times with nests hanging off of palm fronds, bananas, and small branches.

4 hours ago, mudgirl said:

If it is not too high up to reach, wait until late evening when they are dormant. Open a large plastic garbage bag and slip it up over the nest and quickly hold it shut tight around the branch it is on, then cut the branch right above the bag and tie the bag shut. If it is a really large branch, this of course won't work, but I have done this quite a few times with nests hanging off of palm fronds, bananas, and small branches.

And, then what do you do with the Bag O' Bees?

That would largely depend on what type of bees are involved (or wasps which are often referred to as bees).

29 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

Thought the world was trying to save the bees, not eradicate them.

Why kill them?  Were they attacking you or just living their lives up in that tree?  I have found the bees here to be really relaxed and I can stand right by them and they just buzz around in a very non-aggressive manner.  What a horrible death, in a plastic bag in the hot sun.  I wouldn't wish it on any creature.

Just a thought:  Bees swarming to a new location may stop in a tree to rest.  They swarm around their queen to rest and protect her.  Usually within one day or so they move on.  Both wild and domestic bees are highly endangered and we all need to do our part to help and protect them.  The future of food depends on them.  May I suggest avoiding them for a bit to see what they do?  They needs us but we need them more.

Altho I posted my method for removing bees' nests, I do agree with the posters who said we should not be destroying them. They are a very important part of the ecosystem and I leave them alone to do their thing unless they are aggressive and have a nest right next to where I hang out.  

If the tree is a palm over two stories in height, and this is a wasps nest at the very top, who would we call.

These are very aggressive wasps, and will leave the nest to home in on those nearby.  

They do not simply stay on their palm. 

Thank you for any recommendations.

We have mexican heather plants lining our walkway, the bees love those plants.  My gardener would not agree that they are "friendly" bees or would my husband when swimming,  both have been stung many times.  We keep the plants because I know the bees are valuable to our eco system, my gardener thinks I am gringa loco.

I was told that honey bees, not africanized bees, not wasps, are protected by Mexican law. They could belong to a beekeeper - this line of thought is like if you found a wandering cow then it is not right to kill it. You would have to compensate the farmer if you did.

Archived