Chapala.com Webboard

ENORMOUS broken window...asking advice...

ACK...a CRACK! I have enormous windows in my house. One in the living room has just cracked, all the way from the top to the bottom, and is now separating, creating a hazard. The window is very thick, and roughly six feet high by eight feet wide. I need to have it replaced as soon as possible. I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thanks y'all.

Your house may be settling, or moving slightly from earth tremors. They are frequent in the area.  If the replacement glass is mounted so that it can “float“ a bit within its frame, you will have a better chance of success in keeping it.

Is your house new, on a known fault, or subject to heavy traffic?

I agree with RV, if at all possible try to install a dense foam material like door weatherstripping into the frame before you set the glass or the problem will repeat itself sooner.  A soft expansive caulk like Sikaflex might work well also.  There are a couple of stores in Ajijic that sell Sika.  If you leave this up to the glass vendor, he will probably not want to do this.

I have used Jaime a lot over the last 10 yrs and he is a good guy, however, the last time he did some stained glass work for us, he made a mistake and used the wrong glass.  He admitted to the mistake but when his workers came to install the new piece, they asked for another 500 pesos.  Sorry, but not my problem.  YMMV

Archived