Chapala.com Webboard

1 hour ago, iguana said:

Hello All.

I am trying to find out the price of a hectare of land with water for blueberry, rasberry cultivation. Does anyone know the going price of a hectare(s) 15 to 25 hectares are wanted for purchase

Thank You

Iguana

I assume you know that raspberries and blueberries have far different pH and actual soil-type requirements?

As long as you realize that the soil in the Chapala area is very alkaline and the climate is honestly too hot to be successful with blueberries large scale.  If you really want to raise blueberries with a chance of success in Mexico, I would find a high sierra climate populated with pine trees and such.  Jalisco has Mazamitla, Tapala, San Sebastian del Oeste, and Mascota among many others that would probably excellent blueberry, kiwi, raspberry, and strawberry producing regions.  In fact, I just acquired two blueberry bushes for my garden in Chapala from a nursery in Veracruz.  I am going to attempt to grow them in large containers with rich soil mixed with peat moss.  If you work to generate a rich acidic soil, you might be successful.

Do you speak Spanish? If not you will need a guide, not a slick realtor, but a well known local farmer/rancher. I have some possibilities in Jocotepec, specifically, the head of the Charros for Lakeside, referred by a good friend there. Take a drive out to Roca Azul, lots of land to lease or purchase out there. Prices depend on many, many things. PM me, I would like to meet you over coffee - the crops you have selected need lots of infrastructure, and the market is crowded. I have some ideas for crops which would be much more lucrative and easy to handle - and yes, they are totally legal! My trials of tropical rhubarb are doing very well for example. There is so much room for after harvest work, where the real money is, strawberry/rhubarb syrups for example - for martinis or selzter spritzers. No competition at all.

I have been following the writings of this man for many years. He has helped produce many highly successful alternative farming crops and after processing, such as large scale solar dehydraytors.

https://www2.richters.com/show.cgi?page=QandA/Profiles/miller.html

you may already know this so forgive me if you do.....we have been told that to find alot cheaper land,,,,ask around with the mexican community....many of them when they want to sell will not even put up a sign but are willing to sell...if land has a realtor sign usually it is marketed to "gringos" to get bigger bucks for it.  We found our house that way and got a real deal 68K US.....

Hello.

First I want to Thank All of You for your help.

Yes, I speak Spanish and have been through the area south of the lake a few times, Amacueca, Sayula, Cd. Guzman, etc. I know a few properties for sale but I can not get any comparisons of what a hectare costs.

Gracias

Alfred

On 4/16/2017 at 6:42 PM, dichosalocura said:

As long as you realize that the soil in the Chapala area is very alkaline and the climate is honestly too hot to be successful with blueberries large scale.  If you really want to raise blueberries with a chance of success in Mexico, I would find a high sierra climate populated with pine trees and such.  Jalisco has Mazamitla, Tapala, San Sebastian del Oeste, and Mascota among many others that would probably excellent blueberry, kiwi, raspberry, and strawberry producing regions.  In fact, I just acquired two blueberry bushes for my garden in Chapala from a nursery in Veracruz.  I am going to attempt to grow them in large containers with rich soil mixed with peat moss.  If you work to generate a rich acidic soil, you might be successful.

If you need to lower pH, you can also add MgSO4 (magnesium sulfate), available at many garden places.

On 4/16/2017 at 6:42 PM, dichosalocura said:

Try adding sulphur to the soil to lower the alkalinity.  Just try not to inhale!  We have such alkaline soil and well water, we've become very creative in ways & means of keeping green pastures for our horses.  Sulphur really seems to help.  Sure is different from gardening in New Jersey, with acidic soil and very little sun!

19 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

What is the PH of your Pasopoop mulch? How much does each bag weigh? Can't wait to try your product.

Worth a plug! Healthy, natural gardens.

http://rdplakechapala.com/pasopoop.html

Hi Chillin -- thanks for the good words!  Each costal of compost is 20 kilos / 44 pounds.  The pH is fairly neutral.  We delivered 20 costales to someone yesterday but still have some in stock.  A couple of landscapers had discovered us and taken all our supply for a while, now that our stables are full though we have 10 horses working away for us :-) and in the hot weather, the compost heats up faster and only takes a couple of months to produce.  So, plenty here for you!

Archived