Chapala.com Webboard

Positive experience at Walmart

I don't believe the disgusting factory chicken farmers use marigold flowers - that adds .20 pesos to their production costs - not acceptable. The yellow (for these types of chicken) comes from an underpaid meat department clerk using a paintbrush and natural dye (could very well be from flowers). The new factory chicken breeds are in the market in six weeks - they have no real meat on them, just toxic skeletons. The debate now is whether the local backyard/farmyard fresh daily chickens are fed with GMO dent sweet corn, or the white Mexican corn? I would say white corn because most dent corn is imported from the U.S.A. and would be more expensive, especially with today's exchange rate. The trouble (?) with the local chickens, especially this time of year (refrigeration), is that you have to shop early. The stores typically open at 10 am, and already there is a line up of elders buying chicken for the pot, to be ready for comida. Also hard to buy whole chickens from them. To be honest, I don't see a huge difference in taste from an "organic free range" chicken and a factory chicken (maybe 5% improvement?) it is just the principles involved. Sometimes, the way the world is turning, maybe we all will be raising backyard chickens and vegetables.

5 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I don't believe the disgusting factory chicken farmers use marigold flowers - that adds .20 pesos to their production costs - not acceptable. The yellow (for these types of chicken) comes from an underpaid meat department clerk using a paintbrush and natural dye (could very well be from flowers). The new factory chicken breeds are in the market in six weeks - they have no real meat on them, just toxic skeletons.

They do use a yellow seed for feed which when translated into English is marigold but it is really a marble sized seed related to the marigold family but not the flower marigold we know. All the yellow color comes from this feed seed. The largest poultry producer in Mexico Bachoco uses it but the 2nd and 3rd largest do not.

"The leading chicken companies in the world:

Mexico:

Bachoco
• Head office: Celaya
• Products: chicken, eggs, pork, balanced food and turkeys
• Production level: 840 million chickens per year

Pilgrim's Pride from Mexico
• Head office: Querétaro
• Products: chicken
• Production level: 400 million chickens per year

Tyson of Mexico
• Head office: Gómez Palacio
• Products: chicken, processed products
• Production level: 168 million chickens per year"

Years ago, the chicken skin was yellow, yes, but it did not have that red color spotting the skin with whatever tint they use. It's not the feed.

I don't see that red anywhere else but at Walmart. It's not spread evenly and definitely shows spots of red tint.

Am I the only one noticing this?

I laughed when I read this from Chillin: The yellow (for these types of chicken) comes from an underpaid meat department clerk using a paintbrush and natural dye (could very well be from flowers).

He might have a point.

I wonder. I read an article a number of years back that said the yellow colour of the chickens came from feeding them Marigold flowers. They grow these flowers in huge numbers.

Well, if the store was being restocked for Easter, they missed a lot. How come three of five items that are everyday inventory, were not available at all again yesterday? Like so many items at WalMart. I just don't understand their system. If this happened in Guadalajara, there would be noticeable sales losses.

5 hours ago, cedros said:

I wonder. I read an article a number of years back that said the yellow colour of the chickens came from feeding them Marigold flowers. They grow these flowers in huge numbers.

My issue is NOT with the yellow color from feeding them Marigold but with the RED coloring spotting at random and showing in the juice. If that was from food, you would not have this red, definitely red, not yellow.

I do not know where you live NOB but I can tell you that the produce was a  whole lot fresher in California...Most of the produce around here comes from the abastos and not from local farmers.. We were appalled when we moved here how bad the produce was. The stores keep the fruit and veggies way longer than they should. The quality started improving when Soriana and then Walmart came in. Even SL had terrible produce 15 years ago..Now they have improved but it took the competition of the big stores to make them change, 

17 minutes ago, HookEmHorns said:

bmh nailed it ! NOB the produce is fresher. Mexicans keep their produce until it has to be carried out holding your nose, if they don't sell it. Yuck !

Yes even down here in PV l think a lot does come from abastos in Guadalajara. Wherever they are getting it many of the sellers in the mercados here do seem to be much better at getting rid of the rotten than I remember at Lakeside. bmh nailed it. We get very fresh stuff on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

Archived