Chapala.com Webboard

Electric gate clicker not working; how to fix?

Lexy

I've never had an electric gate clicker stop working before. Is it just a matter of a new battery, or what? Where do I take it to get it back in working condition? (I still have a working one, but I like having the back-up.) Thanks for your guidance. . . .

Lexy

You can pop the case apart with a kitchen knife edge... this is better than a screwdriver, because it gives you better leverage and it won't mark up the plastic.

The batteries are 3 volt size, and can be puchased at Steren.

If it still doesn't work, you can clean the board inside with a Qtip and some denatured alcohol or nail polish remover (yes, it is safe; I do it all the time). This removes any oxidation. This trick also works on remote key fobs, and TV remotes. (When I hit the beach, my key fob sometimes acts up, due to the salty air.)

I had some expert garage-door installer guys here a few weeks ago, and I gave them a remote to fix. They tried the text-book method, and it didn't work. They obviously tried the wrong text-book method... because I looked up the technique, and fixed it just fine. Lexy, I keep three remotes, just in case my backup doesn't work...

Both of my remotes have a red led showing if it is activated. Watch and see if your red LED is coming on. if not it's the battery. The key/lock shop in Chapala sells them and maybe fixes them? They are located straight through the light on the right in second block. They can also order you a new one if necessary but they will be more costly than Seren.

Sometimes, I find that the receiver sometimes just 'forgets' a remote (or all of them). You then need to pair the individual remote again. To do this, you need to go to the receiver and press the learn button (a light will usually come on) , then the button on the remote. That will pair the devices, the light will go off, and now the remote should open the door. On some door openers, the receiver is actually in a small metal box separate from the actual machinery; you need to remove a metal cover to gain access to the 'learn' button.

With the ubiquitous 3-button remotes, I have seen cases where the actual switch wears out after a while. You can try to get it fixed, or just program one of the other buttons instead.

Hope this helps,

Pete

12 hours ago, Lexy said:

Thanks for the specifics, CG and Snowyela. I've never had a reason to go to Steren and it's close!

Lexy

My remotes were only working randomly so tok them to Puertas Automaticas on th carretera in Ajijic (across from Mia's Boutique if I remember correctly and had the batteries replaced.) 

Cleaning the motherboard inside will alleviate the "worn out" effect. The trouble with pressing the "learn" button is... which one is that, when you have three? Programming other buttons... same thing; each remote and manufacturer have different methods. So... The manual is your best bet; the majority can be found online, if necessary.

Archived