Chapala.com Webboard

Water Pressure Tank - Need a replacement from...?

Cincy

The original Amtrol ALT-62 (WX-251) 62 gal. water pressurization tank installed in our casa in 2003(?) is ready for replacement.  It appears the internal diaphragm may be the problem judging by the slow air leakage around the valve stem of the air inlet port.

Who might sell these things lakeside?  It's a simple enough change so I would replace it myself'.

If the diaphragm were broken, I would think that water would be leaking; not air.

I would try turning everything off.  Letting all pressure out, then removing the air valve insert and installing a new one.  You should be able to buy them at an auto supply store, along with the split cap tool to remove and replace. Recharge with air to the specified pressure.

Good luck.

Amutio next to Farmacia Guadalajara Ajijic on the Carretera or Casa de Plomero on the Carretera in West Ajijic.

There are other locations. It would, as RV points out, be more economical to repair it but only you know the condition of the actual tank and what other repairs have already been made to it. Eventually, I also opted for a new tank...just wasn't worth the constant aggravation. Now I don't have one... me happy.

Those things work differently than I thought.  You have a steel drum with a rubber bladder inside.  The drum is pressurized and the water goes into the bladder.  If there is just air coming out, the bladder is probably OK and the air valve is just bad.  If water comes out the bladder is shot and you have to replace the whole thing.

RV is correct, just replace the valve and recharge with air and see what happens.  

Replacing the tank is not hard if you have the tools, some teflon tape and some muscles.  Personally. a plumber with a helper is cheaper than the visit to my doctor.

The little valve that screws into the stem is okay.  The rubber air valve stem is leaking around base.  It makes bubbles when I add washing-up liquid around the base.  No water leaks so maybe it's just the rubber valve stem that's perished.  I've got 2 new auto valve stems from AutoZone but they look slightly larger than the existing valve stem in the tank.  Of course, these valve stems are designed to be installed from the inside which is impossible on this all welded tank!

You should be able to buy one of these rubber valve stems, try auto zone. It is the same as a tubeless tire on your car wheel. If the Schrader valve is good thats all you need to do. Remember that the air pressure helps hold it in tight Turn off the water into the tank. Then the air that is leaking should stop coming out. When it does you shoould be able to get the valve out and a new one in. Maybe the tire guy could come help you. He probably has some ok stems as well.

Archived