Chapala.com Webboard

Telcel ?????? New phone ?????

Denise

Husband went to Telcel ( sorry if spelling is wrong) to get a plan, many of you said it was the best choice (thank you).

We have an unlocked phone, an android, and they said he needed to buy a new phone from them, in order for the plan to work.

We are under no contract from any other company NOB and the phone is a newer model, so no outdated system and common enough so the system is not too new.

When signing up for cell services do you need to buy a new phone, in order for the plans in Mexico to work?

Something does not smell right.

Telcel is not the best choice if you're looking for internet access for your computer. Their data is very expensive compared to Telmex.

IF the sim card can be swapped out (and not all can) then you don't need a new phone. There are two small telcel stores that can give you better deals than the big one in the Laguna Mall. I do not like being tied to a contract either. The one that most people like is beside Alex's Pasta Bar on the small road that runs beside the Bugambilia Plaza (theatre, El Torito's, Farmacia Christina). I happen to like the small telcel store which is just west of the Bugambilia Plaza and beside a consignment store. Both stores are 5 minutes walking apart.

If you do mine first, then the one that most people like... and then go into Chopsticks for lunch (opposite) to contemplate your choices. Either one will check out whether your phone's sim card can be changed... which of course will change your phone number too and there is a charge for a new sim card. I just pay monthly with no contract... 299 pesos which gives me unlimited calls to Canada, to the U.S. and within Mexico and also 1 GB of data. When I was having problems with my Telmex line, I was using my cell phone as a hotspot to connect to the internet and burned through the 1 GB very quickly. I was able to purchase more data though to tide me over.

4 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

If your phone is not GSM it will not be compatible with the Telcel network or any other network in Mexico and you will need a new phone.

Our phones are GSM. Our phones originally from T-Mobile which Telcel (according to their website) is compatible. Thank you, so much.

Ferret, above, says he pays 299 pesos/month for unlimited calling and texting to US, Canada, and Mexico, plus 1GB of data. This is far more to pay than necessary, unless you are using your phone for lots of data. For 100 pesos on the "Sin Limites" pay-as-you-go, you get the same unlimited calling and texting, 300 MB of data, and 1000 mb of Facebook, Twitter, and WhatsApp for 23 days.

T Mobile phones should be GSM. GOOGLE your specific phones specs to be sure. Go to one of the mentioned Telcel reseller stores and they should be able to help you or explain the problem. We use the Amigo plan and put 100 pesos on every 60 days and between calling, texting and data we never run out. PV is loaded with free wifi spots so YMMV. We don't do Faceplant.

Go to the little Telcel store next to Alex's Pasta Bar, just down the street from Farmacia Cristiana.  Talk to Ana, she'll take care of you.  The big Telcel store is virtually useless except for the cashier.  You can get a plan for $199/mo.  Or pay as you go with Amiga plan.

That is a susprise that Telcel is pulling that must buy a phone bs. Are you going to a Telcel store or an agent reseller? Try the other Telcel stores. There is one in Luguna mall across from Walmart. If they won't just sell you service then go to ATT in Chapala on the left across from Guadalajara pharmacy in Chapala. It really is stupid as they make little profit on the phone itself. The profit and the way they keep score is in lines turned on. The ATT coverage is good and you get free roaming and calls to USA and Canada included.

All T-mobile phones are GSM. ATT here and Telcel both use GSM and the same frequencies as T-mobile and as USA ATT.

I have a Telcel plan for 199p per month, free Facebook, What's App , free calling to US, Canada & 1GB data. I stream music while in the car, use the data a lot and never use it up. I pay 6 months in advance so I don't have to go in and pay every month. I went to the big Telcel store at Laguna Centro. Since I'm not fluent in Spanish the ONLY person there that I will deal with is Valario who speaks perfect English. He is off Thursday and Friday and goes to lunch from 1pm-2pm.

Everybody's usage is different. I installed Glasswire on my laptop to find out how much data I do use in the course of a day. I really wanted to dump Telmex completely after 7 months of constant connection problems. To do that, I needed to find out what Telcel plan (or what mifi device + plan) I would need to satisfy my needs.

I download my TV shows and I also just contracted with MLB.com and am enjoying Blue Jays pre-season baseball. These things take up bandwidth. 1 GB a DAY barely works for me... 1 (or 2) GB a MONTH simply doesn't cut it. On the other hand, paying for Telmex and Telcel is way cheaper than having Satellite TV. We're all different in our priorities. I also hate WhatsApp, Twitter and Facebook.

@mudgirl I'm not a guy, I'm a girl.

http://www.telcel.com/content/telcel/personas/telefonia/planes-de-renta/tarifas-y-opciones/telcel-max-sin-limite.html

Sorry, my bad, the 299 peso plan (not Amigo) is unlimited calls plus 2 GB of data (not 1). It's good for a full thirty days. Scroll down on the link to see it.

And I also forgot to acknowledge that it was ComputerGuy who recommended Glasswire to me.

If you don't speak Spanish and are not sure what you want, I do NOT recommend going to the Telcel west of Bugambillia Plaza next to the consignment store. They ripped me off when I first got here and didn't know what I was doing. Go to Ana next to Alex's Pasta Bar. She is honest.

Archived