Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala Malecon - packed!

CHILLIN

Having lived many years on the Puerto Vallarta malecon, I knew how busy it can be. But I was really surprised to see how packed the Chapala malecon was at 4:30 yesterday afternoon. All the rides were spinning, people were double/triple parked, and the food/beverage delivery trucks were blocking everything. What a glorious mess!

Actually the Chapala malecon looked busier than the Puerto Vallarta malecon.

http://www.cuatesycuetes.com/

Yes, our crowd is just now starting to build here in PV. We just got to the Malecon and the crowd is low to moderate. Friday to Sunday will be wall to wall and we will not be participating. Happy Easter to all. 80 F with a strong sea breeze.

At this time of year, I stock up on food, fill up my car, skip the movie theatres, and don't go out on Friday. There will be no "Saturday night" food review, unless the new taco stand down the road in Riberas proves to be something truly magnificent. You can feel the thrum in the air; as of yesterday, WalMart was crawling with families.

I zip into the village during this kind of traffic, either at Rio Bravo (when heading east) or if I don't notice that the lineup is long, as soon as I get to Flores Magon near the hilltop. Slower driving, but always entertaining, and guaranteed to beat the highway traffic all the way through La Floresta.

It's just a little table on the street, a family selling tacos... like the ones you often see on the sidewalks in Ajijic, selling crunchy junk with hot sauce. Corner of La Ribera and San Juan at dusk.

We're at the beach too, just north of Cihuatlan on the ocean in a condo development.  A little busier here but not bad.  The temperatures are excellent, much as pappys reported, around 80 with a nice sea breeze.  Ocean is very cold here but this place has huge swimming pools complete with swim up bar.

14 hours ago, RickS said:

Will these Semana Santa crowds 'leave' after Sunday/Easter?  Or is this expected to be the normal all next week? 

As far as I understand, and have observed, Easter is two weeks in Jalisco. The first week is for the normal working stiffs and their families, the second week is for the more wealthy - less well stuffed coolers about, more into restaurants, bars, etc. It is a tradition which involves feasting, but also sacrifice by way of baking in the sun and ridiculous traffic problems. Oh, of course, there is also a big dab of religion mixed in too.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:14 PM, RickS said:

Will these Semana Santa crowds 'leave' after Sunday/Easter?  Or is this expected to be the normal all next week? 

Well after many Easters ,living on the lake ( west end) what we found that people came on Thursday or Friday, set up camp . Music, eating , kids in water etc. until Saturday eve.

Then they ALL left. I imagine to go to their respective churches.    But the following week we still have some come back.  Today Chapala was so energetic, people everywhere.

While the traffic was a pain, going slowly gave me the opportunity to people watch.  Do not think I want to be part of Friday's crowd.   Very Very good for restaurants, food and merchandise vendors.

On 4/12/2017 at 5:34 PM, ComputerGuy said:

It's just a little table on the street, a family selling tacos... like the ones you often see on the sidewalks in Ajijic, selling crunchy junk with hot sauce. Corner of La Ribera and San Juan at dusk.

I love "street food" but am very careful at this time of the year with the high temperatures and lack of refrigeration at some roadside stands.  I'd suggest everyone read the "Hot Season Eating Tips" on page 5 of the current Guadalajara Reporter.

Two days ago the fish department at Soriana stunk. Now it is cleaned and packed with all types of fresh and frozen seafood. Trouble is you will have to get there early tomorrow, before 9:30 - that is if there is anything left. A lot of fish meals tonight in Mexico.

The malecon and playas in Mazatlan are covered with people in and out of the water.  I think someone has to come off the beach into the water for another person to get on the beach.  From a three story height, it looks like thousands of ants on the beach in and out of the water.  Insane there every year at this time.  Worse since they finished the Durango highway.

Many Mexicans do not know how to swim. They are afraid of the ocean, especially little girls, they (seem to) think the waves are going to grab them and take them away, a lot of screaming and hysterics. Ironically, the wave crash zone is where most experienced swimmers want to get past as soon as possible. The wave crash zone tumbles a lot of nervous swimmers.

Archived