Chapala.com Webboard

A request for blood donations

I hope its not considered inappropriate to post this here.

For the second time in a little over a year I'm facing open heart surgery in the next couple of weeks.  If there are any kind souls who would be willing to donate blood on my behalf it would be greatly appreciated. I think here in Mexico the cutoff age for donors is 65.  I have a negative RH factor blood type, that being AB negative,  so any negative RH blood type would be helpful.  Once I'm through this I'll return the favor any way possible.  Please ask your friends as well if you don't mind.

Please communicate with me by private message here and I'll give you my contact information or you can send me yours.

Thank you for your consideration,

Russell

2 hours ago, rjkveton said:

I hope its not considered inappropriate to post this here.

For the second time in a little over a year I'm facing open heart surgery in the next couple of weeks.  If there are any kind souls who would be willing to donate blood on my behalf it would be greatly appreciated. I think here in Mexico the cutoff age for donors is 65.  I have a negative RH factor blood type, that being AB negative,  so any negative RH blood type would be helpful.  Once I'm through this I'll return the favor any way possible.  Please ask your friends as well if you don't mind.

Please communicate with me by private message here and I'll give you my contact information or you can send me yours.

Thank you for your consideration,

Russell

The age limit is a major consideration.  In the past, some people needing blood have turned to the colleges and/or training schools for this, with some success. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

I know my doctor keeps a list of people who will donate blood for a small consideration, around 200 pesos, to cover travel and time spent.

Having just gone thru the 'getting blood donors' thing, each hospital has their own blood bank so the OP will need to specify which hospital to use. The blood banks generally want ANY blood type and RH factor and in some cases will take platelets. It will take about an hour+ of your time at the hospital to answer the questionnaire, height/weight/blood pressure, then they take a couple of vials to sample for acceptability, if the samples are good, then you give blood and have a small meal. Giving platelets takes much longer. My experience was at San Javier but I don't think the protocols will change much between hospitals.

Unfortunately im B+. But i feel it a civic duty to donate. I always have in the past. For some reason the thought never crossed my mind once I moved here. What's the procedure for donating here? Where do I go? Is there a bank located in lakeside? 

Bajabrady - I would suggest putting your name on LCS's bloodline list; send an email to bloodline@lakechapalasociety.com (766-1976); you'll get called when you are needed. As I stated each hospital has their own bank so it may require you traveling to a specific hospital to donate. No such thing as a state-wide bank. Quite a long list of criteria and each hospital may vary a bit.

1 hour ago, tomgates said:

Where to go? Is O+ acceptable?

Tom for some reason my surgeon insists on blood donation that have a negative RH factor only.  The blood bank at this hospital does not seems to have an interest in swaps.  Also there is the 65 age limit which automatically eliminates many in my circle of friends from donating. 

2 hours ago, JayBearII said:

I know my doctor keeps a list of people who will donate blood for a small consideration, around 200 pesos, to cover travel and time spent.

Could you please send me his name and phone number in a private message and I'll contact him if he makes his list available to patients outside of his practice

Another factor is any meds a person is taking --- some are OK, others would rule out possible donations.

Wish I could help,  but wrong blood type and over the age limit. Still, wish you all the best success both in getting donations AND with your surgery and post-op recovery

I believe that LCS has a list of donors and also Cruz Roja. I'm just 65 now but have a hemoglobin of 16 mg% and take no meds... dumb rules. But I'm A+. I wish you the very best of luck with your surgery and your recovery.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived