Chapala.com Webboard

Can I get an MRI in Ajijic?

55 minutes ago, Ready Or Not said:

Hola

Just wondering if anyone knows whether there is a reputable place to get an MRI in Ajijic and what the cost might be?

I did a search for previous posts but nothing came up.

The readers of this forum are usually very informed on heath topics so I thought I would ask y'all.

Gracias 

I believe that you need to go to Guadalajara for that.  CT scans; MRI, etc.  They do have a good Xray and Sonogram facility in Chapala.  There is also the Xray facility available in Mascaras Clinic in the lakeside area.

1 hour ago, Ready Or Not said:

Hola

Just wondering if anyone knows whether there is a reputable place to get an MRI in Ajijic and what the cost might be?

I did a search for previous posts but nothing came up.

The readers of this forum are usually very informed on heath topics so I thought I would ask y'all.

Gracias 

No.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, geeser said:

There is no MRI machine at lakeside. You might ask at that new hospital going in to Jocotepec.

You may need a doctor to write the instructions as to anatomy area in Spanish for the MRI tech

No need to go there. Any doctor here can make MRI or CAT appointment for you at several places in Guadalajara,specialty clinic or hospital.

• Like 1

At Quality Care (http://www.qcdoctors.org/) they can arrange for MRI or CT scans at Chopo clinic in Guadalajara. They are well thought of, but probably pricey, with the latest equipment. If you are a big, big person, you may have to be limited to one of their facilities. For me, they have to arrange for a fork lift:huh:. The main point is that Chopo will send out a car and driver to Plaza Interlago and drive you into Guadalajara and back for no charge (but a tip for the driver). The only problem is, they do not like to pickup just one person. So the co-ordinator there, Letty, has to try to figure it all out. There is a Chopo blood clinic near Maskaras Hospital. I think that is where you have to have your scans picked up (or arrange for courier/delivery). Quality Care also has private drivers who will take you to Guadalajara, wait for the test, and drive you back - but they charge 800 pesos - which is at the upper end for this service. Hope this helps.

Oh, by the way, Quality Care has opened a brand new diagnostic clinic in Plaza Interlago, right next door to Tio Sam's appliance store. I am unfamiliar with what they are offering, the only one I remember is "Sonograms" - but I don't even know what that is. No CT or MRI was offered.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

You will never get an MRI in Ajijic in your lifetime. There is the new Hospital San Antonio in San Antonio Tlyacapan Which has CAT.,MRI and Fluoroscopy. I am not sure if the first 2 are completed yet. And paulrobinson there is NO CAT scan in Chapala. There are a plethora of threads on here about that hospital.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I think you asked the cost of an MRI and where to get one.

I think MRIs cost several million dollars are incredibly heavy and most residence could could not support the weight or power consumption. They are also very noisy and will irritate the neighbors.

Contact General Electric for a new one. eBay has a couple of used ones:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/extremity-MRI-machine-magnetic-resonance-imaging-MRI-dedicated-open-bore/323774279241?hash=item4b62736e49:g:7EEAAOSwYvFZGQYz

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Siemens-Avanto-Mobile-MRI-Refurbished-2019/143315986877?hash=item215e4c69bd:g:skgAAOSwGKJdCQ57

The second one is actually portable in its own semi trailer. You'd have to supply the tractor and all the power... Just park it out front.

It was a slow afternoon!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, David Rodwell said:

I think you asked the cost of an MRI and where to get one.

I think MRIs cost several million dollars are incredibly heavy and most residence could could not support the weight or power consumption. They are also very noisy and will irritate the neighbors.

Contact General Electric for a new one. eBay has a couple of used ones:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/extremity-MRI-machine-magnetic-resonance-imaging-MRI-dedicated-open-bore/323774279241?hash=item4b62736e49:g:7EEAAOSwYvFZGQYz

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Siemens-Avanto-Mobile-MRI-Refurbished-2019/143315986877?hash=item215e4c69bd:g:skgAAOSwGKJdCQ57

The second one is actually portable in its own semi trailer. You'd have to supply the tractor and all the power... Just park it out front.

It was a slow afternoon!

I am pretty sure the Op ( from 2017]  Didn’t mean an MRI machine . The MRI is a medical resonance imaging technique .  

• Sad 1

The short, serious answer to the OP's  original question is:  No, there is no MRI facility closer than Guadalajara yet.  The new hospital being built on the Libramento promises there will be one there, but check again after Dec.1 when they say they will be ready.

People on here do love to "have you on", especially if you are a newcomer...but just give it the respect it doesn't deserve .  Welcome.😉

• Like 2

I sure hope someone phones up the new hospital and ask if they have an MRI there. I seem to remember someone posting here, perhaps a month or two ago that the new hospital does have one, that at that time was not yet in operation.

Why am I hoping someone else will phone?  Because I  am in Seattle for a little while longer waiting to come home, (Ajijic)

And sadly, unlike Mexico where one has free long distance phone calls on Telmex, I have to pay from up here. 

When I was at the San Antonio Hospital, I asked the Dr in the area where the MRI will be located and he said hopefully by 1 Dec.

And do we really need more little boys who think they are being funny?? Honestly people, there is lots to do around Lakeside. Try and get out more.

• Like 5