Chapala.com Webboard

Best places to shop

Denise

I have noticed that people on this page like to express their opinion and offer suggestions, so I am going to take you all up on this. I am going to list a few categories, you do not have to reply to all of them, just the ones you feel strongly about. I thank you all for your input, I have posted before and received some awesome advice. My husband is in Ajijic, I will be joining him in June, he is a little overwhelmed and needs some advice.

Now where do you suggest I get the following, for the best price and quality, would like to stay away from Walmart  (unless it is the best place ):

A. Meats

B. Fruit and vegetables

C. Cell phone service( looking for unlimited plans)

D. Cable, internet, home phone

E. Hygiene products ( toothpaste, hair care products)

F. Prescription refills

E. Dog and cat food

2 minutes ago, Denise said:

I have noticed that people on this page like to express their opinion and offer suggestions, so I am going to take you all up on this. I am going to list a few categories, you do not have to reply to all of them, just the ones you feel strongly about. I thank you all for your input, I have posted before and received some awesome advice. My husband is in Ajijic, I will be joining him in June, he is a little overwhelmed and needs some advice.

Now where do you suggest I get the following, for the best price and quality, would like to stay away from Walmart  (unless it is the best place ):

A. Meats  Tony's

B. Fruit and vegetables  Tuesday Farmer's Market

C. Cell phone service( looking for unlimited plans)  Telcel store next to Alex's Pasta Bar

D. Cable, internet, home phone  Telmex

E. Hygiene products ( toothpaste, hair care products)  Farmacia Guadalajara

F. Prescription refills  Farmacia Guadalajara

E. Dog and cat food  Pet Shelter in Riberas

Ditto Costco for meat, especially USDA choice and prime beef. Also Tony's for meat.

TelCel in Centro Laguna (main office) is the only place to go. Other independent outlets can be dishonest. I put $200p on every 33 days and I get all the calls locally or to the US that I want and 1gb of data. I pay at the one payment window and go across the lobby to the customer service and have them text TelCel for the plan I want. 

SuperLake for most everything. Most restaurants and chefs prefer SL because he has everything. 

Much depends upon his location and how he is getting around.

When possible, we buy fresh produce from the San Antonio veggie stands that sre usually set up on Sunday mornings.

I frequent the market inside the Chapala plaza. I have a favorite beef butcher and pork butcher. Sometimes I buy chicken from the place next to my beef guy. Puritan Pride in Riberas is my favorite place for chicken.

If you go through the Chapala market to the back, go outside and cross the street, there is a tiny and very crowded veggie store with long lines of people waiting to pay. It is across the street and slightly to the L . Her produce is lovely and fresh and prices are great. A lot will depend on how much you can carry home, whether it be by car, bus or taxi.

When possible, I buy in bulk from CostCo, but with the current suspension of CostCo deliveries by Cynthia Ornelas, I will revert to WalMart for many things. Cleaning supplies, canned goods, flour, catsup, etc.

I rarely shop SuperLake, unless it is for special spices or ingredients I cannot find anywhere else. Nothing against them, just that I can usually find most of what I want at lower cost elsewhere. They are great, however, in a particulat niche market, and I am happy they are here.

We get dog food at the store in Riberas. They actually deliver our 50 lb bag.

Love my TelMex cable and Internet. I also like free streaming service from them called ClaroVideo. Need some Spanish to navigate the website, but once in, almost everything is available in English.

Occasionally we run to OXXO for quick incidentals . Unfortunately, we have no local tienda nearby.

We live without a car, so it takes planning and a large pantry.

We use WalMart Pharmacy for most things, Farmacia Guadalajara for others.

Hope that helps.

41 minutes ago, cstone said:

When possible, I buy in bulk from CostCo, but with the current suspension of CostCo deliveries by Cynthia Ornelas,

What happened to Cynthia? I found her website and was hopeful that she could help my husband with getting the shopping down and helping get the prescription refills navigated.

3 hours ago, bournemouth said:

There is a new Costco buying service:  http://www.lakesidegroceryexpress.com/

If you check you will see that one uses the Costco web site to order. This is the site where the prices quoted are delivered prices. I just checked the price for the Kirkland dog food that I but and it is more than 100 pesos more than the price I paid at DanVet when I bought it about 3 weeks ago.

Then they want 20pesos per item supposedly for delivery. Nice mark up. Delivered price plus delivery!

Why do some people begrudge others running a business and setting the prices they charge? Would it be proper to say tell someone like CG how much he can charge?

What Dave is saying is that the new company is marking up some stuff (larger, heavier ??) over what is paid at Costco and tacking on a delivery charge on top. Just pays to be an informed consumer. 

My guess was that the new company is combining people's orders to reach the threshold where Costco would deliver to their bodega or house, whatever. Their cost is then what the Costco delivered price is and they then deliver and add their fee. As you pointed out it's always good to be an informed consumer.

I don't drivee my car more than a few miles per day. My mechanic says I should occasionally drive it far enough to heat everything up and boil off any water in the wherever. So I do this by going to the closest Costco to Ajijic every once in a while. It's fun shopping there. And the price is often quite a bit cheaper than what I would pay for the same product at Super Lake or wherever. In Seattle I am only 3.9 miles away and I go all the time.

Oh and adding to the above post I hardly see anything I want on line here in Jalisco. It seems better up north.

Enrique from Lakeside Grocery Express tells me in an email that the price he charges is the in store price.  I think the SKU's from the Costco website are being used as a convenience.  He is not marking  up prices.  If you have concerns, his email is given on the web site.

Archived