Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

2 cats coming from US to Ajijic - rules review


Recommended Posts

We have two cats coming to stay with us for the summer, they will be accompanied by family.  I cannot find a definitive list of what is required and the timeline needed for shots etc.  I know there has been  major trouble in the PV airport regarding tick and flea medicines and the need to have the actual box that was administered to the cats must be with you in addition to having it listed by the vet.  I can throw money at trouble at the last minute but I would rather not have to do that at anytime. 

I would also like to know if it is better to come into GDL in the middle of the afternoon or after 9 pm?

Thanks for any info you can share.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

WEll I found one set of information points

Updated Antiparasitic Treatment Rules for Pets Entering Mexico

virg_med001.jpg?w=640February 10, 2017

Public Service Announcement:
Our helpful readers continue to update us all on what rule enforcement changes are taking place around Mexico.

New Enforcement of Regulation re: Bringing Dogs into Mexico via Air

Airport officials at the airport in Puerto Vallarta are enforcing a regulation requiring dogs ( not sure about cats) require the following:
PRIOR to arrival, your dog must have be treated against internal and external parasites by a licensed veterinarian and the products used must be reflected on the health certificate.

Dogs must also have been treated for ticks shortly prior to entering the country. ”

This seems pretty self explanatory.

We’d appreciate hearing from readers if this change is being enforced nationwide.

Happy Trails,
steve

* * * *
Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:08 PM, tomgates said:

What do you use for the parasites and how long before travel?

It has to be on the health certificate. The vet needs to include what was used and when. It has to be done not longer than 6 months. Check the airline they are coming in on, some say this treatment needs to be done fifteen or thirty days before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We use the following for our dogs (cat meds versions are available) which are recorded on their shot booklet, the updated bilingual health certificate and APHIS 7001 form with date of application, lot, expiry and pill size (by pet weight):

heartworm (Heartgard, monthly chewable tablet)

fleas and ticks (Nexguard, monthly chewable tablet)

internal parasites (Virbac Endogard, multi-spectrum internal wormer, chewable tablet, every 6 months)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Denise said:

Vets can use Revolution or something similar, it very common treatment.

You cannot use Revolution on any dog OR cat unless it has previously been tested and is negative for heartworm. Positive animals will die if Revolution is used.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2017 at 9:39 PM, solajijic said:

We have two cats coming to stay with us for the summer, they will be accompanied by family.  I cannot find a definitive list of what is required and the timeline needed for shots etc.  I know there has been  major trouble in the PV airport regarding tick and flea medicines and the need to have the actual box that was administered to the cats must be with you in addition to having it listed by the vet.  I can throw money at trouble at the last minute but I would rather not have to do that at anytime. 

I would also like to know if it is better to come into GDL in the middle of the afternoon or after 9 pm?

Thanks for any info you can share.

This does not address the "rules" question, but is something you NEED to know. Cats are not like dogs. They will not "instantly" adapt to being in a totally new environment, and could even go seeking their "own" territory. So do these cats and their masters the biggest favor of all by keeping them indoors 24/7 during their entire stay

Also, this will ensure no horrible accident, such as poisoning,  death by street dog, or other unmentionable occurrences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh how nice a thought but no can do.  We expect it will take them two weeks to come out from under the chairs and sofas.  And another two weeks to adapt to not fighting.  We have 4 cats who troop in and out all day long until about 10 when everyone is in sung and tight.  Since the 2 cousin cats will be here for almost 4 months everybody is going to have to figure it out.  So 6 girl cats - all spayed and declawed. 

I am not the cat person in our household, just the arranger person.  The other two, the caat lovers, will have to be on their toes and quick moving for the next 4 months. 

 

We do have two neighborhood cats who have begun to hang around at night trying to get in the cat door to the food - and have actually made it a couple times - so we are a little tighter ship than we have been.  However I am not happy at having the litter in the house at night. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Natasha said:

You cannot use Revolution on any dog OR cat unless it has previously been tested and is negative for heartworm. Positive animals will die if Revolution is used.

 

We've not used topical Revolution for years, but this sounded concerning so I checked multiple sources: apparently, Revolution is used to TREAT heartworm-positive pets and, if used for fleas, ticks, or mites, is perfectly safe.

From  https://www.drugs.com/pro/revolution-topical.html: Dogs should be tested for heartworm disease prior to giving Revolution. If your dog tests positive for adult heartworms, your veterinarian can recommend appropriate treatment. Dogs infected with adult heartworms can safely be given Revolution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jrod said:

We've not used topical Revolution for years, but this sounded concerning so I checked multiple sources: apparently, Revolution is used to TREAT heartworm-positive pets and, if used for fleas, ticks, or mites, is perfectly safe.

From  https://www.drugs.com/pro/revolution-topical.html: Dogs should be tested for heartworm disease prior to giving Revolution. If your dog tests positive for adult heartworms, your veterinarian can recommend appropriate treatment. Dogs infected with adult heartworms can safely be given Revolution.

Ummmm, I am assuming, my fault, that since the pet is being relocated it is healthy ( heartworm pet will be denied a health certificate) did not think that needed to be explained.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...