Chapala.com Webboard

Prescriptions refills

Denise

Use the generic name and shop around. Prices will vary greatly from farmacia to farmacia. Often, the smaller farmacias have the best prices.  Prices will often be much better in Chapala or Jocotopec than in Ajijic, as with other things.

The only things that need a prescription in Mexico are antibiotics and narcotics. Most farmacias here have most meds that are needed unless it's unusual. If it doesn't make you comfortable, then take your meds into a Doctor and have them "translated" into what the equivalent is. Some people can use generics and others can't. Whatever works for you.

p.s. by generic, I mean not the original patent holder. I think that RV is using "generic" as in the main ingredients not as in the Brand Name.

Don't assume that all your Rx's will be available here. Most common ones, yes, but it would be good to check or else bring a sufficient supply to meet your needs.

Pricing will depend on the drug. Some things are cheaper at Farm. Guad. and some are cheaper at Farm. Benavides.  And some are cheaper at the independent pharmacies.  But keep in mind that there are no pharmacists here. There are no pharmacy schools in Mexico (according to a couple of my doctors).  The people behind the counters are cashiers.  Granted, I'm sure that many have become very educated about drugs over the years and are very helpful.  But they are not pharmacists.  So it's imperative that you know what you should be taking, the dosage, etc.  And then make sure they give you the right drug/dosage/amount. 

I had to get a new tube of 01.0% steroid creme Fucicort last week. Priced it again, as we do periodically, at Ajijic's Guadalajara Pharmacy, Costco and La Christina. And found Guadalajara cheapest at $230. Then priced it at the Guadalajara Pharmacy in El Chante and it was $171. It pays to shop around and especially outside Ajijic.

16 hours ago, El Saltos said:

Farmacias are requred to have a Dr. on duty.

Farmacias don´t have to have a Dr. on duty but need to have a Dr. registered and no farmacias have a Dr. there. The Drs. in the free or almost free consultorios are not the Dr. registered for the pharmacy legally giving the pharmacy it´s license. A pharmacist is not the same here in Mexico as NOB. The ones described on this thread are simply pharmacy clerks and only need to pass a state or federal exam which is all about knowing the names of medicines. That is why all medicines in Mexico are packaged in individual boxes and not in large bottles where they are counted and relabled by pharmacists like NOB. There are pharmacists with university degrees but they are not the people you see selling medicines in local farmacias. It is a whole different system.

Also medicines in Mexico are price controlled by the federal government. If you look closely on the boxes you will see a embossed máximum price for that box of medicine. Some farmacias put a sticker over it but they cannot change that price because it is imprinted into the cardboard.

I gave up on finding what I need here long ago. I now just have them refilled in the US and shipped to my daughter's house and either we go up there or she comes down here and bring them down. Tried to have them shipped to my iShop Laredo box and the import duties were outrageous so we don't do that anymore. I have about 9 mo or 1 year supply of all my meds so I can afford to wait for the next "trip". 

25 minutes ago, tomgates said:

I gave up on finding what I need here long ago. I now just have them refilled in the US and shipped to my daughter's house and either we go up there or she comes down here and bring them down. Tried to have them shipped to my iShop Laredo box and the import duties were outrageous so we don't do that anymore. I have about 9 mo or 1 year supply of all my meds so I can afford to wait for the next "trip". 

Now, really how did that help? I love this web board but some people just reply to hear themselves talk.

Well what Tom is saying is that some meds are not even available, never mind where they are cheapest. First we learn to read, then we read to learn.

54 minutes ago, Denise said:

Now, really how did that help? I love this web board but some people just reply to hear themselves talk.

Here we go again.:rolleyes:

Tom is giving you his experience with drug prescriptions . .Please do not start again to call people names and knock people on this webboard. . You are needing the advice and there will be less and less people willing to give you one. If you do not like it please ignore it. Some people.......

Mexico is a different place than you are accustomed to so one has to be creative. Many people do exactly what Tom is doing and not only for drugs. He is not a newbie ....he has been here for a while. Might not work for you but so what?

Sorry for being so blunt.

Tom is simply telling you to be prepared and to consider a back-up plan.  

We had an issue finding an exact replacement medication.  In the US there was a (then) new time-released version of a specific drug that you took fewer times a day, but after numerous attempts in MX we realized they had not yet imported that new version of this medication.  

Let me be more specific. 10mg Lisinopril is about $250p for 10 pills. I take 1 40mg pill a day. That would be 360 pills for a 90 day period or $9000p or $479US verses $41 thru my ObamaCare insurance in the US.

37 minutes ago, Islander said:

Here we go again.:rolleyes:

Tom is giving you his experience with drug prescriptions . .Please do not start again to call people names and knock people on this webboard. . You are needing the advice and there will be less and less people willing to give you one. If you do not like it please ignore it. Some people.......

Mexico is a different place than you are accustomed to so one has to be creative. Many people do exactly what Tom is doing and not only for drugs. He is not a newbie ....he has been here for a while. Might not work for you but so what?

Do not be sorry , be accurate. Answer the question asked. All he did was complain and be negative, that is not helpful. Also, those whose advice I have taken know exactly to whom I am referring and it is not to those who have nothing productive to say. Why answer a question or give advice if it does not pertain? By the way , why don't you become one of those who are unwilling to give advice, thank you.

Also, I know Mexico is different and part of getting accustomed to a different place is asking about it and getting relevant answers. How does telling someone they go out of the country for what I am looking for help? Please, do not answer, it was a rhetorical question.

4 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Let me be more specific. 10mg Lisinopril is about $250p for 10 pills. I take 1 40mg pill a day. That would be 360 pills for a 90 day period or $9000p or $479US verses $41 thru my ObamaCare insurance in the US.

Thank you, I appreciate this, and apologize.

29 minutes ago, Denise said:

Do not be sorry , be accurate. Answer the question asked. All he did was complain and be negative, that is not helpful. Also, those whose advice I have taken know exactly to whom I am referring and it is not to those who have nothing productive to say. Why answer a question or give advice if it does not pertain? By the way , why don't you become one of those who are unwilling to give advice, thank you.

Also, I know Mexico is different and part of getting accustomed to a different place is asking about it and getting relevant answers. How does telling someone they go out of the country for what I am looking for help? Please, do not answer, it was a rhetorical question.

Tom gave you perfectly good answer (advise) Denise. There was no need for your negative comment.

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way when oldtimers with a heart in the right place are abused by newbies

You are right. No more from me.

Just now, Islander said:

Tom gave you perfectly good answer (advise) Denise. There was no need for your negative comment.

You are right. No more from me.

LOL. I understand about getting the last word in, couldn't help yourself.

You might reconsider your move. At the least take a short lease. Mexico is not for everyone. Or pay someone to be your life coach (Mexico) and not have to rely on this free board.

Sincerely, best of luck to you.

Archived