Chapala.com Webboard

Rain Birds

Don't take it personally, Rick. It is just that every year we have "the rain birds are early"thread and "the rains will start early" posts. Still, the real rains do not not begin until mid-June no matter what. Some people enjoy this game and others get cranky over it. 

I love the whole thing about rainbirds. Ever since I stopped believing in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus my life has been bereft of fun things to believe in, in hope of a reward. Every year the weather gets hot and I long for the rains to start. The the rainbirds begin and I bet on the date when the rains will start and it provides hope when the warm weather gets insufferable. It was 85F on my back porch yesterday afternoon, friends in SJC and Riberas have both heard rainbirds, and me, I have started to hope!

Rainbirds are also a fun way to tease newcomers. We old expats need a few laughs.

They say that six weeks after the rainbirds are heard, we will have rain.  And the rainy season usually starts around June 10th to 15th. So I guess the rainbirds had better start singing.  :):D

Every year there is a contest to report the first rain bird. Rainy season starts middle of June.  There are always a couple of heavy rains the end of May, which prompt a declaration of early rainy season.  Rainy season starts middle of June.  Watch for the early declaration of the above, always followed by 10-14 days of no rain at all. Then rainy season starts middle of June.

59 minutes ago, adolphsj said:

Every year there is a contest to report the first rain bird. Rainy season starts middle of June.  There are always a couple of heavy rains the end of May, which prompt a declaration of early rainy season.  Rainy season starts middle of June.  Watch for the early declaration of the above, always followed by 10-14 days of no rain at all. Then rainy season starts middle of June.

The annual contest is to pick the date that rainy season "officially" begins. There is a set of specific criteria (devised by Mainecoon) that must be met to "win." People sometimes use the dates they first heard a rain bird to help them calculate their choice. Since everyone hears their first rain bird on different dates, there can be no official "first rain bird." 

In mid America the "6 week locusts" as we called them, predicted the first frost, I doubt you have to worry. But rain does start on June 12th, so be aware. And, as far as finding new things to believe in, I just read in the LA Times that it was global hooha that caused the Exxon oil spill in '89, can the Titanic sinking for similar reasons be far behind?

Archived