Chapala.com Webboard

Latest CI Banco ATM Experiences?

Has anyone had further problems with the CI Banco ATM at the Plaza across from Walmart lately?  Last I heard here a poor Soul was ripped off $20,000 pesos by the machine.

Just curious to know latest experiences good or bad.  I'm arriving soon and need to make large withdrawals.

The machine seems to be out of money a lot.  I suspect it is because there are so few ATM choices now.  The one at El Torito was repaired and worked well for a short time before someone apparently broke into it and trashed it.  Hasn't been usable since.

7 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

I was told Monday and Fridays, but Tuesday they were filling it.

Must have got drained on Monday already?  Thanks sm1mex.

I used the machine early this morning, no problems at all.  I think this machine is very popular because of the low rate of the transaction fee, also no parking problems.  I have found they are the cheapest in town at a charge of 17.40 pesos.

We did get-short changed there...800 pesos given and 4000 charged. The staff was very rude and just kept stating to call our bank. We did contact our bank...they credited us within 24 hours but it took 16 days to get a reply from this bank to make the credit permanent. We liked the transaction cost but hated the aggravation. I pay more from other machines but I like the fact that they are not short of pesos so frequently.

Fred Habacht

Pedro Malo - when the CI machine is empty, which it often is, go down to HSBC, over the road from Walmart, and right on the carretera.  This is the same center as CIBanco.  Their machines rarely seem to run out of cash and while the cost is a little more than CIBanco, the convenience of actually getting cash trumps the cost.

1 hour ago, bournemouth said:

Pedro Malo - when the CI machine is empty, which it often is, go down to HSBC, over the road from Walmart, and right on the carretera.  This is the same center as CIBanco.  Their machines rarely seem to run out of cash and while the cost is a little more than CIBanco, the convenience of actually getting cash trumps the cost.

Thank you bournemouth and the cost is still half of what Bancomer charges per transaction. 

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

the atm charge at hsbc is double what it is at CI banco.     i have posted this before!!!   if the little amber light is on to the left of where money comes out then the machine is low or out and may not give you the full amount that you want!!!!

This is a very important tip, thank you!

Also the armed guy who stands outside the C I Banco does a great job of advising people if there is a problem with the machine or if there is no money, also advises if the machine is being filled with money and approx. how long it will take.  

May be a little off topic, but...DO lay in a supply of cash before Easter! The machines ALL run out of money over the Easter holidays, and besides, the traffic will be horrible.  Yes, the guy who guards the machine at CIBanco is very helpful. Must buy him a chocolate Easter bunny!

I haven't experienced any screw up at CI Banco in getting the peso amount I asked for. But it is often hard to read the screen here, depending on how much light is coming onto it. Also for being out of money, it happens all the time. However the tarifa I get at CI Banco is $15. At HSBC, I'm charged $28.75, sometimes higher. The other important comparison is the exchange rate, but if I'm recalling correctly the exchange rate is close the daily live rates.

Apparently we're all sounding thrifty enough to put up with CI Banco.

Lexy

Thanks for all your tips and advise.  One never navigates uninformed thanks to this generous community!  Appreciate you all!

pm

Archived