Chapala.com Webboard

Reynosa getting more dangerous this week

geeser

Exactly why I tell folks headed to McAllen to cross at Pharr using the short toll road that completely bypasses Reynosa.

This is such a darn shame.  Not all that many years ago Reynosa was a fun border town with many good restaurants and shops.  When we visited my wife's father in McAllen we always took a trip over there.

No more.  I'm told pretty much all of those places are gone.

When I see these stories..... US Citizens killed.... I always try to determine for myself as to whether they were 'innocent bystanders' or otherwise somehow 'related' to the disturbance that took place.  I didn't see any info about this in the article but could have missed it. For me it is important to determine this information so as I can assess the situation as it might affect me as a tourist or residente.... or not.

P.S.  Agree completely with MC about.... why go into Reynosa in the first place. It has been a hot spot for years whereas McAllen is relatively quiet.

Exactly, Ricks. There are many places that people should avoid in Mexico. Good for people to remind us once in a while where these areas are, no? Of more benefit to new people here and those planning on a trip SOB, than hardened extranjeros like you, right? Just like people visiting Canada and the US, etc.  Good to know where the hot spots are. BTW, I read that Juarez is really "hot" again, as well as several places in Michoacán. Of course, parts of Guadalajara can be "hot" at times, just depends what is going on with the New Generation. Those that are blessed with the flower of "common sense" rarely encounter problems. Sadly, that flower does not grow in some everyones garden .

I saw/heard that about Juarez. Just this week (?) the last newspaper shut itself down due to fear for the lives of his employees (and probably he himself although he did not say that). Several of his reporters have met uncertain/untimley deaths and just recently a crack female reporter was killed 'suspiciously'.  So sad on many fronts.

On 4/6/2017 at 11:24 AM, Mainecoons said:

Exactly why I tell folks headed to McAllen to cross at Pharr using the short toll road that completely bypasses Reynosa.

This is such a darn shame.  Not all that many years ago Reynosa was a fun border town with many good restaurants and shops.  When we visited my wife's father in McAllen we always took a trip over there.

No more.  I'm told pretty much all of those places are gone.

Coons, there were some lovely restaurants in Matamoros, Reynosa and Nueva Laredo that in the 1977-1989 I spent many a happy hour in. I was just speaking to an old timer about Nuevo Laredo and Rest. Martins. Uniformed waiters, white linens and and sliver service and the most wonderful and beautifully prepared entres. My young daughter would have her dinner, part of mom's order then bed down on 3 chairs with the center one turned opposite and covered with a clean table cloth. Juarez had some great places too and I recall the  Onion Market in the old building that once housed the onion (comodity) market, Man in those days the food was just wonderful. My wife and I crossed the border 5-7 nights a month. In 1984 my wife drove 6 other salesmen's wives down to Nuevo Laredo from San Antonio where we were working a convention. The gals came down to shop and have comida all by themselves and we thought nothing about it.

The wonderful living those North Mexicans earned is a thing of the past. All or most of those great restaurants and bars are long gone. The off track betting parlor where my boot maker got his throat slashed is long gone as well. You'd think that was 100 years ago but it wasn't. 

Archived