Chapala.com Webboard

New computer - english language?

If I purchase a HP with Windows 10 can I switch the language to permanently be English?  Last computer I bought 6 years go had to have the operating system reloaded for ENglish.  The last time my present ocmputer was in for service I asked the service fellow if I bought one at Costco would it require the same rigamarole and he said no just make sure it has Windows 10 - and a bunch of other versions but that is the one I remember most.

I hate having to get a new computer.  I could probably deal with the spanish but the other household member would be unhappy.

All new PCs come with Windows 10, unless you have someone build you a tower, because we can still get motherboards that will take Windows 10. Anything bought here other than that will be in Spanish, as you are aware. Many new computers are sold with "Windows 10 Single Language" installations, meaning they cannot be switched to another language except via complete reinstall of Windows. Only Windows Pro and Ultimate provide "language packs", as far as I know. Windows Home does not.

I have an Asus Laptop with Windows 10 basic that I purchased about 6 months ago at Office Depot in P.V. I can easily change the language in settings, but of course the keyboard is in Spanish, which took a little getting used to, as some of the symbols are in different places, but wasn't really hard. I can also switch the keyboard to English layout (as in, the @ would be upper case on the 2), but that doesn't match up with symbols on the keys.

Since there is no Windows 10 "basic", I take it you mean "Home"? I can find nothing that says Home can have the operating system language changed, and I have never done it at that level. The keyboard input, date, time, etc can all be changed to any language, but that has no affect on Windows' display language. This can be checked in (Settings>Time and Language>Region & Language) from Control Panel. If it offers the option to download a Language Pack, then yes it can; otherwise, no. I am working on two such systems now: a Spanish version of Windows Home that cannot be changed, and an English version of the "Single Language" that cannot be changed.

Archived