Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala telmex

I am repairing my maid's computer.  She says about 2 weeks ago the internet got slow and she suspects perhaps somebody is stealing her bandwidth.  She has changed router passwords several times.  Is anybody else having Internet problems in Chapala, has Telmex been squirrely?  I don't want to get falsely hungup on passwords and possible hacking if it is a general problem.

Computer Guy,

It's not a vague conception here at my home in Lower La Floresta. For the past several weeks, my speed has dropped from just about 5 down to a more than usual 2, sometimes as high as just under 4, but I haven't seen 5 in at least a month. A few days ago, Netflix told me my connection was too slow and this warning has since been repeated twice.

Maybe, you guys to the east of me are using up some of my speed with the 20's and more's that I see being posted.

I guess I'll have to call MX City.

7 hours ago, bajandy said:

I am repairing my maid's computer.  She says about 2 weeks ago the internet got slow and she suspects perhaps somebody is stealing her bandwidth.  She has changed router passwords several times.  Is anybody else having Internet problems in Chapala, has Telmex been squirrely?  I don't want to get falsely hungup on passwords and possible hacking if it is a general problem.

The answer to your question is "yes." I live in Chapala and have constant problems with the reliability of my Internet service. So do my neighbors. For me, the situation worsened about a month ago. I think the problem is due to overloaded servers in Guadalajara. Of course, Telmex will not admit to that.

Internet is slower sometimes in the six corners area. I have Izzi and Telmex. I check speeds regularly and they are slower at least some of the day. Usually in the evening and not significantly, just enough to cause hiccups when streaming. Maybe about 20%.

As for stealing WIFI, you can monitor what devices are logged into your router. Most routers have this as a part of their software but you can also download various app for phones and computers that will list every device registered on the network. On the other hand, someone wanting to steal your password to use your WIFI can use software which may reveal your password. I've never used this but I understand that they would have to be monitoring at the time you enter the password. 

If you do find someone crashing the gate, changing the password should do it but if they are monitoring your system they may be able to detect the new password. In this case, you can block their access to your modem by using their MAC address -- an identifier unique to their device. It is easy if you can access the modem, otherwise you may want help with this part.

Let me try to enlighten this topic a bit. First, a couple of people, maybe three, from the greater Ajijic area, have reported on this board that their speeds are slower. This led to speculation that some overall system problem was taking place. Second, Chapala is on a completely different infrastructure than the Ajijic area, so there is unquestionably no relation, and no way to connect the two as a general overall problem.

Next, NLU, definitely call Mexico City. Your Internet problems are your Internet problems, or we would all know about it: it would occur everywhere there is service from your nearest concrete slab, and there would be an uproar. So call and find out what's up.

There are problems from time to time in different locations all the time; that's just the nature of the beast. It's a massive deal keeping this stuff going. I don't assume that it's all related, and neither should anyone else... especially when it's just guesswork.

There is no such thing as 'overloaded servers' the way most people talk about it. It's a vastly different process than most of us can even imagine, with all kinds of failsafes in place. TelMex, especially locally, but more frequently lazy employees in Mexico City, have a list of general excuses that they know the public a: cannot understand, and b: have no way of checking, so they flog these all the time.

Now, the software required to monitor anybody's WiFi is expensive, difficult to use, and requires a laptop or something similar in the direct vicinity of the signals in question. I don't know anyone around here who has that kind of money or talent, especially someone who would spend that effort to glom onto some un-noteworthy retired gringo. If you've got it, you'd have your own equipment and your own home Internet... that's how you would buy and learn about the stuff in the first place.

I can assure you all, based on thousands of tests over the years, that 99% of the time, a localized problem is due to slow computers, corrupted modems, user inexperience, and infrastrucure; that is, the phone lines from the box, to the street, to the poles, to the house, and inside the house. And of course every so often, repairs, upgrades, and other servicing that continues on an ongoing basis. Mostly infrastructure. Ask Ferret on this board: nothing but problems for months with her service, until she was able to hire a former TelMex technician to actually climb a pole and locate a physical problem that TelMex either continued to ignore or was too stupid to figure out.

More like too flippin' lazy to do the job properly. ComputerGuy is absolutely correct. When the service worked, it was good speed but, every time the wind blew, I was losing my internet connection. When my phone line started having problems in the middle of a phone conversation, I started to unravel. Many phone calls to Mexico City and visits to the local Ajijic office.

The problem was in a junction box... at the top of a pole... just around the corner... on another street from my house. A simple corroded connection. He stripped the wires and reconnected them. I have had rock solid internet and phone ever since. Even my Vonage phone is working perfectly. The whole process took about a 1/2 hour.

So, the question is, why can Telmex not do the job? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to check for corroded connections... just a little effort... and a really long ladder.

When you are discussing internet connection speed -- it would help if you specify who your internet provider is.  

We are on a ridgeline just east of Chapala, after Oh Shirt but before Santa Cruz. 

We have been told by Telmex, every year for 7 years now, that we can not get Telmex Infinitum internet service as they have no available connections where we are, and no plan to expand service.  So, we use Spiderweb wifi.  Frequently erratic service and availability.  We are paying for the hghest speed service they offer (5) but getting more like 3.3 at best.

I just ran a speed test: ping = 10 ms, download 2.77 Mbps, upload 0.23 Mbps

This is actually an improvement over previous years.  So we are seeing our Spiderweb wifi internet speed up and become more reliable, over the past several years.  So, I´d say that at least for our provider, there has not been any recent slowdown.

Computer Guy,

Thanks again for info. Will be calling MX City for review if my system and problems. By the way, this morning, for the first time in at least a month, my Ookla test measured close to 5 (4.85).

Lastly, Computer Guy and Ferret, please PM with this technician's contact info. I will surely engage him.

I have discovered this: HotMail has been exceedingly slow for a number of people in the last few weeks. So if your email is outlook.com, live.com, or hotmail.com, it won't matter what your Internet speed is... it's painful. I've got vast quantities of download speed, and on my very fast computer, it's taking several minutes for the basic email page to load up... it is so full of ads and icons, it's ridiculous.

So if your slow speed problems are happening when dealing with HotMail, it's them, not TelMex.

Computer Guy is right . . . first look at your home situation. We had a serious problem some time ago. Finally called Mexico City and they sent a technician. When he opened the "box" where the line from the pole tied into the line leading to the house, it was full of mud and moisture. He rewired the connection and I had him place a plastic baggie around the connection and securely wrap it with electric tape . . . that solved the problem, hopefully for the long run. I noted they do not even use wire nuts for the connections and the poor technician did not even have electric tape to seal the connection. I gave him a roll of tape as he left. 

I run apple and use an app called Fing that tells me what all is running on my router. I have about 6 things including a kindle that run on my line. Some devices. Such as phone or iPad have a background app refresh that is constantly sending a signal to the router eating up my bandwidth.

I turned off all the background app refreshes  and my speeds went up. I was having a terrible time with speeds. Netflix was a bear to stream. I called Telmex and switched up my modem. That helped a little. But the constant background app refreshes were the culprit. I'm downloading at 8-10 now. Uploads of around 2. Now I make sure I'm only using one internet connected device at a time. You'd be surprised how much bandwidth it takes uploading photos and what not to the cloud. Or connected devices you have that may look asleep but working in the background 

IMG_0435.PNG

Archived