Chapala.com Webboard

Question - do I need a land line

HarryB

Harry, you have three options for internet:

TelMex for which you will need a land line

TeleCable, for which you'll need a cable connection

Over the air with your cell phone service.

599 pesos per month covers our landline and TelMex internet.  I suspect this is the cheapest option of the three I listed.

I wouldn't give up my $599/month Telmex landline which includes the internet.   Especially valuable in this plan are the unlimited phone calls, including almost every country in the world.   I've called Australia, Bulgaria, U.S. and Canada - all for free!   Can't beat that deal.   

I agree with Irish Gal. Everything seems to be unlimited with the 599 plan... including the internet and making calls TO cell phones in the U.S. and Canada and Mexico.

The 389 AND a 499 peso packet are still being shown on their website. Why do you say that the 389 packet is gone Sparks?

There are definitely other choices for internet and you can use your cell phone as a hotspot if your landline modem has connection problems... it's pricey for data but rip snortin' fast. If all you ever do is check your e-mail then using your smart cell phone is probably enough. Fuggedabout any other surfin'.

I recently went from the $599 package to the $389 Telmex package because the fastest speed available in my area is 10 down and that speed is now part of the $389 peso package. That package allows me to call 52 countries for free , a copy of which I recently got from the Telmex office.

If you are paying for the $599 package, and should the speed be available you can get up to (if I remember correctly) 40 mb/sec down. With that package there even more countries you can call for free. A list of which I also picked up at Telmex.

So if all you want is internet, $389 seems pretty economical, besides you have all those other benefits like phoning the US, Canada, and 50 other countries for free as many times as you wish with no time limitations, plus limited local calls.

3 hours ago, johanson said:

I recently went from the $599 package to the $389 Telmex package because the fastest speed available in my area is 10 down and that speed is now part of the $389 peso package. That package allows me to call 52 countries for free , a copy of which I recently got from the Telmex office.

If you are paying for the $599 package, and should the speed be available you can get up to (if I remember correctly) 40 mb/sec down. With that package there even more countries you can call for free. A list of which I also picked up at Telmex.

So if all you want is internet, $389 seems pretty economical, besides you have all those other benefits like phoning the US, Canada, and 50 other countries for free as many times as you wish with no time limitations, plus limited local calls.

I agree.  I can't speak to speed but for landline, free long distance within Mexico and to U.S. and many other countries, free calls to cell phones, plus internet, you can hardly beat 389 pesos.  

I checked the list provided by Telmex. Australia is not included in the $389 package but is apparently included in the $599 package. However neither package provides free calls to Territorio Australiano de la Antartida (wherever that is)

5 hours ago, solajijic said:

We do call Australian family.  Free is good.

That's great to know.  I call my 91 year old Dad in Australia on Skype and he doesnt hear me too well, sometimes.  We are on the 389 peso plan and moving from Ajijic to Merida soon but will sign up for the more expensive plan when we get there so I can call home on a landline.

I would never give up my landline either. I have TelMex with unlimited internet and it is a bundle with the phone. In addition, TelMex provides an excellent free streaming service called ClaroVideo. Well worth the price.

Archived