Chapala.com Webboard

Toilet not fully flushing

mexart

If you don't have filtered, softened water in the house, the minerals in the water eventually start to plug up the holes around the inside of the rim, resulting in not enough water flowing in for a proper flush.

If you haven't already, try this before retiring for the night- Turn off the incoming water to the toilet. Remove the tank lid. Flush the toilet to remove as much water as possible from the tank. Sop up the rest with a sponge or cloth. Open the flapper and pour a cup or two of muriatic acid down the hole. Leave the toilet like this, unused, overnight. In the morning, you will likely see a bunch of brownish gunk in the bowl. Turn the toilet water back on and try flushing again, as well as using a brush to scrub over the rim holes.

Both my toilets were not flushing properly and this fix did an amazing job. Whoosh!

Warning- keep your face well back from the muriatic acid when pouring it in, as well as wearing rubber gloves and safety glasses (or some kind of eye protection, like a pair of dollar store reading glasses).

Excellent advise...The minerals in the water produces the heavy deposits and muriatic acid is the best solution for disolving this build up..It is readily available in W.M., Soriana, Super Lake ,etc..Wear rubber gloves and eye protectio as Mudgirl suggest..It is amazing how well this solution works...

Is enough water getting into the bowl when you flush or do you think it something plugged downstream from the toilet? The source of the problem isn't evident from you post. Does the tank fill full enough? When you flush does the bowl fill sufficiently? Does the bowl drain right down?

With a lot of work the brick or nylon scrub pad will work,but the muriatic acid works much faster and better..The question remains, is there a partial blockage in the line or a lack of water when flushing..If upon flushing the water in the bowl seems to start but then rises a bit you have a blockage of some magnitude...

6 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I have to say, a few bucks for a plumber would go a long way.

The muriatic acid fix (if indeed the flush holes are plugged) takes about 10 minutes and is easy. I've spent way longer than that waiting for a plumber to show up :-)

Ditto on the muriatic acid to clean the rim holes.  I suggest three doses, pausing half an hour in between applications; then, fill the tank and flush.  You will see the results immediately.  Be generous with the muriatic acid & use it without further dilution. Each application can be a cup or two, pausing until it is quiet, then do it again and again until no more minerals and junk come out of the holes.  

This is not a tank repair to adjust the level, replace a flapper valve, etc.  It is to clean out the mineral buildup inside the rim of the toilet bowl, so that the several flushing holes are opened fully to give a more efficient flushing action and to wash the sides of the bowl more effectively.

Also it your toilet isn't vented it will clog up. It Is a simple fix most of the time but will require an experienced plumber. 

Venting toilets isn't the norm in Mexico. If your home is an older one 99% chance it will not be vented.

The new homes if you ask they will do it. Make sure you get recomendations preferably from some one who has done this.

http://www.jaytechplumbing.com/2011/03/venting/

Combine this with above mentioned problems and it is definitely not good.

Good luck!

I learned many years ago (in Mexico) to hold down the handle until the tank emptied.

Which brings up a few other questions for the OP. Is it a handle? or is it a couple of buttons that you depress... as in both buttons should be pushed and held down for a complete flush... just one for a pee.

Are you fully acquainted with this particular toilet or is it new to you?

Does it drain from just under the rim or is there a hole at the bottom of the bowl that also flushes the contents with force?

Has someone altered the inside of the tank for the purposes of using less water when flushing?... bent float or liner or brick in a bag? All admirable choices but, in Mexico, the water is needed to flush out the registros. A registro is a box where a drain goes to be routed in a certain direction... not sure if they're needed in all cases but we had two when we built in San Pancho and I marked them clearly with rebar in the ground for the ease of getting to them should the need arise. They do have lids, like a septic system. It's far easier to "clear out"  up line or down line from those registros.

And, lastly, I really hope that tree roots have not invaded your line. That's a bad problem.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

He said the tank doesn't flush fully. How did it get decided it is unquestionably a mineral buildup? That's a miracle determination, in my book.

I suggested this fix because my toilets were also not fully flushing, I read about this fix and it worked perfectly, so I suggested it. Not really a miracle determination. Also is quick and easy and cheap, so a good thing to try before getting into more complicated stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. We've created a great reference thread on this issue. Through vigorous plunging I got the line free, yes there was blockage. To celebrate I bought one of those blue disks to "clean" the toilet bowl with each flush.

On 4/9/2017 at 10:53 PM, mudgirl said:

I suggested this fix because my toilets were also not fully flushing, I read about this fix and it worked perfectly, so I suggested it. Not really a miracle determination. Also is quick and easy and cheap, so a good thing to try before getting into more complicated stuff. 

Yeah but you did NOT get permission from Computer Guy first before posting this suggestion. Tsk, tsk. When will you people learn?

Archived