Chapala.com Webboard

need advice / health

sputnik

Need advice from people who have been here longer than us and have been to the hospital.  We are looking into private insurance, GNP, old establlished Mexican private insurance.  Premiums $220US per month for $3 Million coverage for each catastrophic illness.  Just seems $3 million is alot for Mexico?  We are 59 and 62 and in good health. What about 2million or even 1million?   If anyone has input, it would be greatly appreciated !!

GNP is one of the best Mexican insurers, by reputation. Make sure you ask for, in writing, their % rate increase of over the past few years. After one year, ours was 17%, and this was before the dollar began to rise really high. So in 5 years, when you are 65, you could be paying premiums double than what your are paying now. I don't know the situation 5 years after that - just make sure you make this allowance in your calculations. If you have the money, it gives great piece of mind.

Also, I don't remember the details, but Mexican insurance is a lot different, because your claim is ongoing, you do not have to copay each year, they pay until you are all better - or run out of money. Maybe that is why it seems high. Beware though, some of these private hospitals can burn through a pile of pesos real fast. You need an agent who will fight for you, question procedures, and negotiate billings.

Thank you so so much Chillin and El Saltos....I really appreciate all that information.  I wrote it all down and will inquire.  Went to the GNP english website and they have many policies to choose from.  Im starting to do my research.  It is so great to have you all lots of advice.  thanks !!

There are various private policies here, and several agents. Shop around. Bear in mind that your premiums will increase A LOT as you get older, so try to go with a policy that you can afford as the rates escalate. Once you develop a preexisting condition, it will be harder to get coverage.

15 hours ago, Natasha said:

Talk to Andre at Bellon Insurance --- across the highway (uphill side) from Superlake. He apparently has a good health insurance package. (We use IMSS but know others who have used Andre.)

Yes definitely talk to Andre Bellon.

I worked in commercial insurance NOB so here is something to think about as you compare rates for different levels of coverage.

You don't expect to have losses between $1,000,000 and $2,000,000 or $3,000,000 so you don't want to pay premium for those higher limits - and that makes senses.

However, the insurance company agrees that you are unlikely to have losses between $1,000,000 and $2,000,000 or $3,000,000 so they are not going to lower the premium for "just" $1,000,000 in coverage anywhere near as much as you would expect - or would like. They have set the premium for the first $1,000,000 to cover a "likely" pattern of expected losses.

Just trying to help manage expectations that a lower limit won't lower premiums anywhere near as much as you would hope.

However, deductibles or co-pays work the other way. You can see a more meaningful reduction in premium for taking higher deductibles. Still maybe not as much of a reduction in premium as you would want but could still be worth getting quotes at different deductibles.

Back to the overall limits. If you have medical needs where the cost goes over $1,000,000 then something REALLY serious is going on. I personally wouldn't want to "run out of insurance" at that end of the scale myself.

We use Jesus Tejeda and have been very happy with our insurance and with Jesus. I have had some pretty serious medical challenges down here and have been very happy that I have solid insurance, His office is in Guadalajara but he is at Lakeside frequently as he has lots of clients here.

jtejeda17@hotmail.com

01-333-563-1300

045-333-667-0499 (His cell # and probably the best way to reach him)

Calle Guadalupe Montenegro 2172 colonia Americana

REC thank you so very much for all those considerations.  Buying insurance is very new to us so I am definately learning.  I really appreciate you taking the time out to write all that to us !!!

KYLE did you buy the one that has the $3 million US for each illness?

Allianz has different policies and I switched to one that does have an upper limit last year to keep my premiums down.  Even at that, my premium is almost three times (in U.S. dollars) what I was paying nine years ago when I signed up at age 43.  I can't imagine what it will be in another 20 years.  Jesus assured me that I could never reach the upper limit, but I will probably look at less costly hospitals in the future.  BTW my husband pays the same amount for his AXA insurance and he's 61.  It seems more affordable, but I've been very happy with Jesus T. and Allianz.

We haven't found any even basic catastrophic coverage here for folks over 70.  Unfortunately and even though quality private medical care is far cheaper here than NOB, we are finding it increasingly difficult to be self insured.  The most recent illness ran to $12K for a burst appendix.  The care received from both doctor and hospital was fantastic by any standard, however.

Mainecoons, we are currently shopping for coverage here for one of us who is over 70 and not previously insured in Mexico. We have found at least 3 alternatives and are evaluating them. Bear in mind that pretty much anything you take medicine for might be excluded, and that some policies will require a health exam. Also, one of the policies we are looking at requires a certain number of years of premium payments before covering certain conditions. And moreover, premiums on private policies do escalate substantially with age. PM me if you want details.

BTW, one of us has had IMSS even since coming here, and the other one is enrolled in Seguro Popular. If you are interested in either of these, I can highly recommend our facilitator. Yes, we could make do with SP and IMSS but prefer to have the option of using private coverage.

Archived